Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

It is interesting that on my FIDO CD Research dashboard I see Ally Bank has 1 year CD's at 1.25%, 18 month CD's at 1.5%, and 2 year CD's at 2.3%. They are all starting 4/14/22. I don't know if those CD's are different from what you can buy through the ally.com site but it is interesting there is such a large disparity between what they are offering on their retail website and what you can buy through FIDO.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2022, 11:28 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
but it is interesting there is such a large disparity between what they are offering on their retail website and what you can buy through FIDO.
Same for Schwab.
But! You might want to compare T-bill rates - from The Finance Buff recent email:

You can get a feel of where the yield might land by checking Daily Treasury Par Yield Curve Rates (click on the first link on the webpage). Here's the URL of the Treasury Interest Rate Yield Curve. Next auction is @4/21 and you can buy direct from the Treasury or thru Fidelity.
https://home.treasury.gov/policy-iss...ate-statistics
Old 04-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes the 2 year Treasury looking pretty attractive, especially if the money is already at a brokerage.

Rates moving quite a bit now with Fed comments and minutes.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:05 PM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It is interesting that on my FIDO CD Research dashboard I see Ally Bank has 1 year CD's at 1.25%, 18 month CD's at 1.5%, and 2 year CD's at 2.3%. They are all starting 4/14/22. I don't know if those CD's are different from what you can buy through the ally.com site but it is interesting there is such a large disparity between what they are offering on their retail website and what you can buy through FIDO.

I noticed the same type of thing last week with CapitalOne brokered CDs on E*trade vs CDs offered on the CapitalOne website.

It may be because money obtained through brokered CDs is more firm. There is no such thing as an early withdrawal on a brokered CD (although the CD holder may sell the CD to someone else).
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Old 04-06-2022, 12:10 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, Montecfo, I see that a 2-year treasury would yield 2.53%. Is there any reason not to do that as opposed to a 2-year CD at 2.35%?

(Sorry, I'm a newbie on purchasing treasuries directly)
Old 04-06-2022, 12:42 PM   #146

Quote:
Yes, Montecfo, I see that a 2-year treasury would yield 2.53%. Is there any reason not to do that as opposed to a 2-year CD at 2.35%?

Depending on where you live, treasuries have an added advantage besides just the higher interest rate. They are tax free on the state and local level.

I can’t think of any reason to buy a CD over a treasury paying the same or higher interest.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Depending on where you live, treasuries have an added advantage besides just the higher interest rate. They are tax free on the state and local level.

I can’t think of any reason to buy a CD over a treasury paying the same or higher interest.
Great point. As I live in a state with a high state tax rate that does make it even more compelling. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Ally bank 1 yr CD rate is 0.75%. The 18 month rate is 1.25%. <-- that is their highest high yield CD rate.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:21 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ally just not currently competitive with CD rates. Perhaps they will develop into another Penfed.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Ally bank 1 yr CD rate is 0.75%. The 18 month rate is 1.25%. <-- that is their highest high yield CD rate.
But you can buy an 18-month Treasury for a full point higher at 2.27%. Not really any good reason to buy a CD right now.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Ally CD's on the Fido CD webpage are different. They are brokered CD's. The broker has an arrangement with the issuer to sell large lots of the CD's. One big difference is that the brokered CD's get a market valuation if you need to sell before maturity. That could be good or bad depending on the direction of rates. CD's bought directly from a bank or credit union generally have an early withdrawal penalty so you know exactly what the cost will be.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:03 PM   #152

Here is an alternative to a CD. AT&T notes maturing 6/30/22 (in about 3 months) are now yielding 3.3%. The probability of default on these notes are nil. Bond funds are into forced selling at a loss due to redemptions. I'm going to put some limit orders on this one at about $98.75 to park some short term cash.

https://finra-markets.morningstar.co...ticker=C629795
Old 04-06-2022, 04:14 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting! Thanks!

We saw this pattern last time rates started rising.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:48 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Here is an alternative to a CD. AT&T notes maturing 6/30/22 (in about 3 months) are now yielding 3.3%. The probability of default on these notes are nil. Bond funds are into forced selling at a loss due to redemptions. I'm going to put some limit orders on this one at about $98.75 to park some short term cash.

https://finra-markets.morningstar.co...ticker=C629795
I searched that CUSIP at Vanguard and it's showing as "Called in full 4/30/22 @ 100 with a YTW of 4.603%, maturity 4/30/22.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 04-06-2022, 06:18 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But you can buy an 18-month Treasury for a full point higher at 2.27%. Not really any good reason to buy a CD right now.
Yes. That was my point. I figure they are counting on the uniformed to let their CD's renew automatically.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:31 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yes. That was my point. I figure they are counting on the uniformed to let their CD's renew automatically.
I will admit I have been guilty of that. I only recently learned how simple buying treasuries is and bought my first ones last month. This forum is to thank for that.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:45 PM   #157

Quote:
I searched that CUSIP at Vanguard and it's showing as "Called in full 4/30/22 @ 100 with a YTW of 4.603%, maturity 4/30/22.

Am I doing something wrong?
I'm not seeing that at Fidelity nor TD Ameritrade. But the market has closed. It would be nuts for this issue to sell below par if it was called with 24 days of interest accrual remaining. It sold for $98.71 about 30 days ago which would be even dumber on the part of the seller.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:59 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I'm not seeing that at Fidelity nor TD Ameritrade. But the market has closed. It would be nuts for this issue to sell below par if it was called with 24 days of interest accrual remaining. It sold for $98.71 about 30 days ago which would be even dumber on the part of the seller.
That's odd. I'll have to check tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:49 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not that I can think of. As mentioned the state tax exemption makes Treasuries more compelling.

It's simple to buy Treasuries via your brokerage. Find an issue to like then if you still have questions call the bond desk. They are very helpful.

I think you can also buy new issues at Treasury Direct.

I think these are going to be pretty fruitful for the next few months at min. Banks are reluctant to raise rates quickly.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:03 AM   #160
Full time employment: Posting here.

The creeping up continues: viobank MM now at .71%.