Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 12:55 PM   #821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I logged into my Vanguard account, clicked Buy & Sell and clicked "Buy a CD" and then clicked to select my brokerage account (as opposed to a ROTH IRA account that I have with them).

Resulting page is mostly blank in my Safari browser, there is nothing else I can do further.

I don't have any cash in a MM fund in my brokerage account, I just want to browse what they have available first.

Same thing happens if I click "Check rates and bonds" instead of "Buy a CD."

Am I not going through the right sequence to browse the fixed rate investments?

What a PITA.
Safari is pretty antiquated. Do it with Firefox. VG doesn’t work well or at all with Safari.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 01:28 PM   #822
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just bought some brokered cds. 1 month at 1.3% and 2 month at 1.9%.

Keeping term really short.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
The rate compression you're seeing means (to me) that the market is forecasting future rate cuts... so rate increases hit the short end of the curve more than the long end. I'm not expecting be able to get a 5yr CD at 5% unless Powell starts talking like Volker and smoking a cigar.

Agree, as brokered CD's are forward looking, they are the 1st to go up. And the 1st to come down. With credit unions , then banks trailing. Have 7 CD's coming due Jan 2024 thru Aug 2024. Around 475k. Will be interesting to see what rates will be then..
Will probably build a ladder, if we are still in a recession. )
Old 06-28-2022, 04:19 PM   #824
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Safari is pretty antiquated. Do it with Firefox. VG doesn’t work well or at all with Safari.
Sadly, many websites are made to work with Chrome. Everybody else takes their chances. Why somebody trying to sell me something on the internet would make it difficult to use other popular browsers is beyond me.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:48 PM   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Agree, as brokered CD's are forward looking, they are the 1st to go up. And the 1st to come down. With credit unions , then banks trailing. Have 7 CD's coming due Jan 2024 thru Aug 2024. Around 475k. Will be interesting to see what rates will be then..
Will probably build a ladder, if we are still in a recession. )

Probably too much of a diversion for this thread
but the scenario of having that much mature in 2024, and if you believe rates will be starting back down before 2024, would have me investigating selling some of that pile and re-buying 5yr-ish durations to lock in rates through 2027ish (or even longer).
Old 06-28-2022, 07:21 PM   #826
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Sadly, many websites are made to work with Chrome. Everybody else takes their chances. Why somebody trying to sell me something on the internet would make it difficult to use other popular browsers is beyond me.

That comment about Safari struck me as very odd so I checked and had no problem using Safari on my iphone 6 navigating to the Vanguard yield table. The links there worked and I hadn’t even bothered to log in.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:28 AM   #827

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
That comment about Safari struck me as very odd so I checked and had no problem using Safari on my iphone 6 navigating to the Vanguard yield table. The links there worked and I hadn’t even bothered to log in.

Same here. I use Safari for all my web browsing and have never run into any issues.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:19 AM   #828

Quote:
I stopped using Safari years ago. My mom has an older Mac laptop and I know we can’t access Vanguard and some other financial sites with Safari on her system. I had to install Firefox for her. It might just be an issue with older OS versions.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:44 AM   #829

Am I missing something here. I just typed in Vanguard in the Safari search bar on my iPhone 11 and was able to log into my Vanguard account with no problem.

Mike
Old 06-29-2022, 05:52 AM   #830

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Am I missing something here. I just typed in Vanguard in the Safari search bar on my iPhone 11 and was able to log into my Vanguard account with no problem.

Mike
Just a PSA: when dealing with sites/activities where security is important (like a financial institution where you hold lots of $), don't use browser search to get there. Take the extra 2 seconds to type in the actual URL (ie. vanguard.com)
Old 06-29-2022, 05:53 AM   #831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Here are some current MYGA (Ins. Co. CD) Rates for those who care.
where are you finding these rates? is there a website that lists them? thanks

frank
Old 06-29-2022, 06:02 AM   #832
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I stopped using Safari years ago. My mom has an older Mac laptop and I know we can’t access Vanguard and some other financial sites with Safari on her system. I had to install Firefox for her. It might just be an issue with older OS versions.

Well that goes to show how out of touch I am. I thought Safari was a mobil browser and never dreamed of using it on a laptop. And now back to our actual topic…..
Old 06-29-2022, 07:25 AM   #833
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suspect it’s the older Mac systems.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:27 AM   #834
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well that goes to show how out of touch I am. I thought Safari was a mobil browser and never dreamed of using it on a laptop. And now back to our actual topic…..
Ha ha Safari existed on Macs and Mac laptops long before iOS devices existed.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:34 AM   #835

With short term CD's up so much, moved some cash from Navy MM to purchase a brokered 3 or 6 month CD.
Never bothered in the past, but now all of a sudden its worth it. Couple clicks and will have an xtra $500.00 in Dec.

Hope these rates stick around. Would be nice to get back to historic / normal rates.
Rather than the artificially low rates post 2009.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM17_U.S._Interest_Rate-3.jpg (584.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: png DOtMwOMXcAILz-8.png (37.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-29-2022, 07:55 AM   #836

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
With short term CD's up so much, moved some cash from Navy MM to purchase a brokered 3 or 6 month CD.

Never bothered in the past, but now all of a sudden its worth it. Couple clicks and will have an xtra $500.00 in Dec.

Hope these rates stick around. Would be nice to get back to historic / normal rates.

Rather than the artificially low rates post 2009.
What kind of rates were you able to get and where?
Old 06-29-2022, 08:09 AM   #837

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HOTinPHX View Post
What kind of rates were you able to get and where?

Am pretty sure all brokerages offer the same rates.
Here are the rates at Charles Schwab this morning.
The best deals sell out fast. If you are after that last .05% -.1%
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled111.png (24.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 06-29-2022, 09:08 AM   #838
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Generally, I agree. Safari works well.

I think some web site developers are too focused on Chrome and use oddball Chrome features that other browsers may not support. I also saw this years ago when working on big main-frame computers. And then there are the infamous copy protection schemes used with the first IBM compatible computers. When IBM tightened up how its disk drives to make sure they worked to spec, a lot of software became unusable thanks to copy protection code that took advantage of the extra 41st track that was not supposed to be there.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:12 AM   #839

Navy Federal increase in CD rates. 0.05% more for 100K

3 Year 2.25%
5 Year 2.80%
7 Year 3.10%
Old 06-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #840
Give me a forum ...

I just tried again this morning.

After selecting Check rates and bonds, it makes you select an account.

Well there's a little triangle to the left of my brokerage account and when I open it, it says "You don't have any CDs or bonds" on this account.

Well no kidding, I'm trying to buy some and had selected Buy & Sell.

I tried the Vanguard app on my iPad and it only shows funds and ETFs if you select Buy.
Closed Thread