Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 06:53 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
US T-bills?
From what I understand, T-Bills are taxable annually. Our only option seems to be MYGA's but we already have some of those.

Just need to muscle up and pay the taxes I suppose, + the premium for DW's ACA.

One disadvantage of taking SS this year I suppose. At least we will have plenty left over. I always knew this time would come. After 10 years of virtually free ACA for DW, we should not really complain.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2023, 07:03 AM   #202
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
From what I understand, T-Bills are taxable annually. Our only option seems to be MYGA's but we already have some of those.

Just need to muscle up and pay the taxes I suppose, + the premium for DW's ACA.

One disadvantage of taking SS this year I suppose. At least we will have plenty left over. I always knew this time would come. After 10 years of virtually free ACA for DW, we should not really complain.
For a 52 week T-bill bought today, thus maturing in 2024, interest would not be taxable in 2023.

Same with CDs maturing in 12 months or less paid at maturity. I’ve had several Ally 11 month no penalty CDs that didn’t mature until the following year, and no interest income until they matured. Longer CDs did give a Dec 31 payment of accumulated interest even though they didn’t mature until the following year and were also set to pay at maturity.

So 12 months is the magic number.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:06 AM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From what I understand, T-Bills are taxable annually. ...
I'm not so sure about that. Mine are all in tax-deferred accounts so not something that I deal with.

Quote:
... Treasury bills. These bills generally have a 4-week, 8-week, 13-week, 26-week, or 52-week maturity period. They generally are issued at a discount in the amount of $100 and multiples of $100. The difference between the discounted price you pay for the bills and the face value you receive at maturity is interest income. Generally, you report this interest income when the bill is paid at maturity. If you paid a premium for a bill (more than face value), you generally report the premium as a section 171 deduction when the bill is paid at maturity. See Discount on Short-Term Obligations, later.

If you reinvest your Treasury bill at its maturity in a new Treasury bill, note, or bond, you will receive payment for the difference between the proceeds of the maturing bill (par amount less any tax withheld) and the purchase price of the new Treasury security. However, you must report the full amount of the interest income on each of your Treasury bills at the time it reaches maturity.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p55...ublink10009955

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-08-2023, 07:09 AM   #204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
A 52 week T-bill bought today, thus maturing in 2024, would not be taxable in 2023.
This is what I was looking at.

"Interest earned on all U.S. Treasury securities, including Treasury bills (T-Bills), is exempt from taxation at the state and local level but is fully taxable at the federal level.

At the end of each tax year or early in the next (by Jan. 31), owners of Treasury bills should receive a Form 1099-INT from the Dept. of the Treasury. This form details how much interest was earned on government securities for the year—information that is also filed with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)."
Old 02-08-2023, 07:20 AM   #205
Give me a forum ...

That simply says that you get a 1099-INT for every T-bill that matured in a given year. It doesn’t say when the interest was earned, or that it’s any different from when the T-bill matures.

I have a bunch of 26 week T-bills that straddled the calendar year and they did not show up in the 2022 interest amount. Nor did they pay anything prior to maturity. Only the one which matured in 2022 is on my 1099-INT from Fidelity.

I think your confusion is about what “earned” means. Generally it means what interest is paid in a given year with few exceptions and T-bills aren’t one of them.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:28 AM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That simply says that you get a 1099-INT for every T-bill that matured in a given year. It doesn’t say when the interest was earned, or that it’s any different from when the T-bill matures.

I have a bunch of 26 week T-bills that straddled the calendar year and they did not show up in the 2022 interest amount. Nor did they pay anything prior to maturity.
Thanks, ACTUAL experience trumps the interweb.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:40 AM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, ACTUAL experience trumps the interweb.
I expanded on my post. I think you got confused over what earned actually means.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:45 AM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I expanded on my post. I think you got confused over what earned actually means.
OK. I assume CDs that pay at maturity (Use a 2 year as an example) are not included and are charged as someone mentioned on "Phantom" interest.

I think it is supposed to be confusing.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:52 AM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a couple of good multi year CDs back in November. One was a 3 year paying 4.9 non callable. That was from Capital One. I've been waiting for the 5 percenters but not sure that we will. It's looking like November was the best time to buy. Bought a 1 year paying 4.7 a couple of days ago from UBS bank that pays monthly which I like. We sold a condo last spring and was sitting on a chunk of cash. Nice to be getting paid for it now!
Old 02-08-2023, 08:12 AM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK. I assume CDs that pay at maturity (Use a 2 year as an example) are not included and are charged as someone mentioned on "Phantom" interest.

I think it is supposed to be confusing.
My experience with longer than 12 month CDs that state they pay at maturity, do in fact pay accumulated interest for each year on Dec 31. Nothing phantom about it.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:13 AM   #211
Recycles dryer sheets

And looking at our MM VMFXX, its current 7 day yield is 4.46. Not a bad place to park cash.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:17 AM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My experience with longer than 12 month CDs that state they pay at maturity, do also pay accumulated interest for each year on Dec 31. Nothing phantom about it.
It is not payable at maturity then, is it? Sorry, I simply do not understand.

Why, I purchased MANY CDs in Canada that said payable on maturity and that is exactly what they did. The tax was not due until maturity, whether it be 1, 2 or 5 year. I had a 5 year a few years ago, I was not sent a Canadian equivalent of a 1099 until I received the full payment, so I talk from experience.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:27 AM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is not payable at maturity then, is it? Sorry, I simply do not understand.

Why, I purchased MANY CDs in Canada that said payable on maturity and that is exactly what they did. The tax was not due until maturity, whether it be 1, 2 or 5 year. I had a 5 year a few years ago, I was not sent a Canadian equivalent of a 1099 until I received the full payment, so I talk from experience.
It may be a US bank thing. I think US CDs do have to pay accumulated interest within a 12 month period, but it doesn’t have to correspond to the tax calendar year. So right, US CDs longer than 12 months aren’t going to pay all at maturity.

If you look at the new issues brokered CDs at Fidelity, all the 12 month CDs list pay at maturity, but once you go longer than 12 months, interest payments are semiannually, quarterly or monthly.

It may be a quirk of Ally CDs that they have longer CDs (usually “CD specials” - 13, 14, 15 month) listed as pay at maturity, but they do also have fine print stating that accumulated interest will be paid on Dec 31.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:20 AM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Swvxx - 4.43%
Snaxx - 4.58%

Snoxx - 4.28%

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:07 AM   #215
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Effective 2/8, American Express Bank increases savings rate to 3.4%. 12 month CDs are now 4.50%, and 24 month 4.25% - everything else is at a lower rate.

- Rita
Old 02-08-2023, 11:16 AM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Effective 2/8, American Express Bank increases savings rate to 3.4%. 12 month CDs are now 4.50%, and 24 month 4.25% - everything else is at a lower rate.

- Rita
Whoop-de-do - Ally had increased to 3.4% a few weeks ago, meanwhile Synchony bank has been paying 3.75% for a while.

These high yield savings accounts take their time on the way up. But they do provide a haven when rates are dropping, easily out yielding treasuries and MM funds.

I do wonder how long it’s going to take for them to reach 4%.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:06 PM   #217
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Whoop-de-do - Ally had increased to 3.4% a few weeks ago, meanwhile Synchony bank has been paying 3.75% for a while.

These high yield savings accounts take their time on the way up. But they do provide a haven when rates are dropping, easily out yielding treasuries and MM funds.

I do wonder how long it’s going to take for them to reach 4%.
This is one reason why I plan on leaving a couple of bucks in Ally just to keep the account open.

Once the Fed puts the brakes on and starts to lower rates, the MMF will drop fast. There's usually a lag period where bank CDs stay higher for a little while giving us some time to shift gears to CDs if necessary. Right now, I'm avoiding CD's but might look at them later. I think MMF (like FZDXX) have a good chance to hit around 5% if there are a couple more rate hikes.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:12 PM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Ally had a 4.6% 13 month CD special, plus 3.85% no penalty CD which is easy to upgrade as rates rise. So I parked some funds in each.

I keep funds in several high yield savings accounts and move the bulk around as warranted, but always leave some. The American Express Bank savings account is traditionally a workhorse for expenses during the year. If they lag I leave a little less there, but I don’t sweat it on funds I plan to spend in a few months.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #219
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure if this is new news or not, but I see Capital One is now offering an 11-month CD at 5% APY. Over the last few weeks I loaded up on the 4.6% Ally 13-month Select CDs, so I'm not moving, but nice to see the 5% barrier breached for a simple online CD.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Who issues the 1099-INTs for brokerage CDs, the brokerage or the bank?
Closed Thread