Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2023, 11:36 AM   #1261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still buying treasuries instead of CDs because the CDs have about an eight% deduction from their rate FOR ME because of state tax not charged on the treasuries.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2023, 11:55 AM   #1262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Still buying treasuries instead of CDs because the CDs have about an eight% deduction from their rate FOR ME because of state tax not charged on the treasuries.
My state tax is almost 5%, so it effectively reduces my 5% CD rate by about .25 percnetage points to 4.75%. But with federal tax, brings it down to about 3.65%. Way behind high inflation we are seeing. Of course, the federal applies to the treasurys also, but now with rates even lower on these 3 to 5 year CDs than I had gotten a while back, it makes it just that much harder to try to keep up with inflation. A losing battle for now. Large amounts of buying power lost over the last few years of high inflation (while CD rates were very low <1%) can never be recouped at this point.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:18 PM   #1263

I'm buying both, even with the high marginal state tax. I can't get significant duration with the T-bills at good rates. So I buy one year plus CD's when they are over 5 percent. They are not all issued by the higher-risk entities, either. Picked up 9 and 12 month CD's from Wells Fargo yesterday.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:35 AM   #1264
Recycles dryer sheets

https://www.clearpathfcu.org/depositrates.html

12 Months 6.00% apy
$5,000 minimum

I tried to search for this one and didnt see anyone have it out there.
lordjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #1265

Picked up secondary market 3 month Goldman CD 7% YTM this morning 38150VGW3. Yes, only 3 months, but, considering new issue 3 month is 5.1%, I won't complain.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:37 AM   #1266

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
https://www.clearpathfcu.org/depositrates.html

12 Months 6.00% apy
$5,000 minimum

I tried to search for this one and didnt see anyone have it out there.

No longer showing.
Old 05-08-2023, 12:27 PM   #1267

Quick question - never bought a CD through my Fidelity account ... I don't track which banks are good for CDs ... ex: is there a simple way to pick safe banks from this 6 month list?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 12.24.21 PM.png (97.4 KB, 70 views)
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:38 PM   #1268
Recycles dryer sheets

In general, these should all be FDIC insured unless you exceed your "per depositor, per insured bank, for each account ownership category" limits. You have to keep track of your limits yourself. If you want to know for sure the CD is eligible, you can confirm by clicking the CD and seeing the green check mark by "FDIC Insured". Has there ever been a listed new CD on Fidelity that was NOT? I haven't seen one.

The more subtle questions around "quality" of the CD is if it is callable at all, if it is callable continuously starting soon, if they pay you interest MONTHLY or instead some longer frequency, etc., etc.
imbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:46 PM   #1269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Quick question - never bought a CD through my Fidelity account ... I don't track which banks are good for CDs ... ex: is there a simple way to pick safe banks from this 6 month list?
Unless you will be exceeding the FDIC limits of $250k per depositor per bank, there is really no need to worry about bank safety at all.

Fidelity's Fixed Income Analysis Tool will show you totals by bank across all your accounts.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:55 PM   #1270

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Unless you will be exceeding the FDIC limits of $250k per depositor per bank, there is really no need to worry about bank safety at all.

Fidelity's Fixed Income Analysis Tool will show you totals by bank across all your accounts.
If I understand what you are saying, I have been completely missing how FDIC insurance works on CDs with the brokerages (Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard, ...). I just assumed the limits would be by brokerage, when in fact it's for the banks that are holding the CDs?
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:56 PM   #1271

Thanks - new stuff for me!

Just bought the one year WF issue. 5.15%
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:59 PM   #1272
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
.... I just assumed the limits would be by brokerage, when in fact it's for the banks that are holding the CDs?
YES
imbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:02 PM   #1273
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
If I understand what you are saying, I have been completely missing how FDIC insurance works on CDs with the brokerages (Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard, ...). I just assumed the limits would be by brokerage, when in fact it's for the banks that are holding the CDs?

pb4uski is correct. FDIC insurance is provided to the banks, and the CDs you buy are insured through that bank, regardless of where you bought them. Also, if you own Bank A CDs that you bought in that bank's branch and also own some brokered CDs for the same bank its the sum of both that's used to determine if you have exceeded your insured deposit limit.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:05 PM   #1274
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Picked up secondary market 3 month Goldman CD 7% YTM this morning 38150VGW3. Yes, only 3 months, but, considering new issue 3 month is 5.1%, I won't complain.

What price did you end up having to pay to get that YTM? Itís listed as a 4.9% originally if i looking at the right one.
DuluthGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #1275
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Dont know how are accurate they are but Weiss does/gives bank grades. Probably others as well.
Old 05-08-2023, 01:11 PM   #1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthga View Post
what price did you end up having to pay to get that ytm? It’s listed as a 4.9% originally if i looking at the right one.

99.404 + $1/cd
Old 05-08-2023, 01:14 PM   #1277

Been a Wells Fargo customer for decades, since college. Really enjoyed buying their CDs yielding over 5 percent!
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #1278
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
99.404 + $1/cd

Tks
Old 05-08-2023, 01:17 PM   #1279
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Simple? Just make sure it's FDIC insured and you stay below the 250k limit as outlined in the FDIC guidelines.

Want more? Try this...

https://www.bauerfinancial.com/star-ratings/
Old 05-08-2023, 01:18 PM   #1280
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuluthGA View Post
What price did you end up having to pay to get that YTM? Itís listed as a 4.9% originally if i looking at the right one.
I see the same 4.9% as you