Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2023, 09:12 AM   #1441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletal View Post
Good am. I had a CD come due today, it was 3.25% for 5 Years. On fence about getting a 5 yr CD for 4.55% $200k or going for a shorter time. EWP is 180day interest. I will not need the money before 5 years. Any suggestions? I can't see rates going much higher
Wow, where in the world did you pickup a CD that paid 3.25% 5 years ago? That was a heck of a find 5 years ago.

Regardless, I'd wait until after the next Fed meeting (mid June) before deciding to buy more CD's, especially longer terms... If they pause, CD rates may have peaked. If they raise rates another 1/4 point then CD's still have more room to go up, especially shorter terms.
__________________
Spending my time as wisely as I can, since I donít know what my time account balance is.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2023, 09:14 AM   #1442
Full time employment: Posting here.
erkevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletal View Post
Good am. I had a CD come due today, it was 3.25% for 5 Years. On fence about getting a 5 yr CD for 4.55% $200k or going for a shorter time. EWP is 180day interest. I will not need the money before 5 years. Any suggestions? I can't see rates going much higher
I have no real answer for you; there are a number of us in this thread playing the same game. I have $100k maturing this month and am hoping for a 5-year non-callable at 5% (not going to happen). Good luck on your decision.
__________________
Retired June, 2016. Never looked back.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:15 AM   #1443
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 36,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Wow, where in the world did you pickup a CD that paid 3.25% 5 years ago? That was a heck of a find 5 years ago.
I saw that rate 5 years ago. Rates were going up for a while 2017-2018. I’m pretty sure Andrews FCU offered 3.5% for a while back then. I have a 3% from a little earlier.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:27 AM   #1444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,511
Totally missed those....
__________________
Spending my time as wisely as I can, since I donít know what my time account balance is.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:33 AM   #1445
Recycles dryer sheets
pletal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Wow, where in the world did you pickup a CD that paid 3.25% 5 years ago? That was a heck of a find 5 years ago.

Regardless, I'd wait until after the next Fed meeting (mid June) before deciding to buy more CD's, especially longer terms... If they pause, CD rates may have peaked. If they raise rates another 1/4 point then CD's still have more room to go up, especially shorter terms.

Car - Guy - , Connexus Credit Union.
pletal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:34 AM   #1446
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Florida's First Coast
Posts: 7,344
I have a CD maturing late this year that is 4.75%. I only use Credit Unions. Some folks here probably do not and thus get lower rates.
__________________
"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able To Tell the Difference." - Mark Twain
ShokWaveRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:59 AM   #1447
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
njhowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletal View Post
I can't see rates going much higher
With the debt ceiling deal sealed, Treasury is looking to sell $1 trillion in new debt immediately. This can easily push rates higher. It's a bit of a stretch, but 6% on the one year treasury is certainly a possibility.

Additionally, Fed is likely to continue raising rates. There could be a pause or a small 0.25% hike coming, but rates will likely continue higher. Unexpected strong jobs report kinda shows the rates will go even higher.

We'll see.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #1448
Full time employment: Posting here.
Popeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 518
Ally online savings account bumping up from 3.85% to 4.00%
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:01 AM   #1449
Full time employment: Posting here.
jldavid47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 699
Available this morning on Schwab:

CUSIP: 98970LG80
Zions BanCorp, Ntnl UT 5.4% CD 06/13/2024
Settlement Date: 06/14/2023
Maturity Date: 06/13/2024

Not Callable
jldavid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #1450
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
njhowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavid47 View Post
Available this morning on Schwab:

CUSIP: 98970LG80
Zions BanCorp, Ntnl UT 5.4% CD 06/13/2024
Settlement Date: 06/14/2023
Maturity Date: 06/13/2024

Not Callable

Fidelity DSN667754
I put in order for some yeasterday.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:29 AM   #1451
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,511
So what do you guys (and gals) think (if you care to go out on a limb) the Fed is going to do next week? IMO, dropping rates is unlikely, pausing/holding (maybe), increasing rates another 1/4 point is likely. I'd give the pause a 40% chance and raising rates another 1/4 point about 60% chance. Also, at this point in time, I don't think there will be any rate reductions this year. But what do I really know!

With that said, I'm putting the funds from my maturing CD's (several in June) into SWVXX/SNAXX and holding out for even higher CD rates that I think are coming soon. I had been planning to just roll over maturing CD's into new current rate CD's but with SWVXX/SNAXX pay so well and still going up, I'm holding out for better CD rates. A pretty low risk game, IMO.
__________________
Spending my time as wisely as I can, since I donít know what my time account balance is.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:33 AM   #1452
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 2,371
I just got an e-mail from Discoverbank, my savings are now earning 4% APY
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:56 AM   #1453
Full time employment: Posting here.
jldavid47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
So what do you guys (and gals) think (if you care to go out on a limb) the Fed is going to do next week? IMO, dropping rates is unlikely, pausing/holding (maybe), increasing rates another 1/4 point is likely. I'd give the pause a 40% chance and raising rates another 1/4 point about 60% chance. Also, at this point in time, I don't think there will be any rate reductions this year. But what do I really know!

With that said, I'm putting the funds from my maturing CD's (several in June) into SWVXX/SNAXX and holding out for even higher CD rates that I think are coming soon. I had been planning to just roll over maturing CD's into new current rate CD's but with SWVXX/SNAXX pay so well and still going up, I'm holding out for better CD rates. A pretty low risk game, IMO.
I don't care what the Fed does. I have a long term view of the interest rate environment and am executing my strategy based on that.
jldavid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:59 AM   #1454
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,520
Well, I certainly care what the Fed does! :-)
stephenson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #1455
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,511
^^^^^ Me too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavid47 View Post
I don't care what the Fed does. I have a long term view of the interest rate environment and am executing my strategy based on that.
At my age, I no longer have a long term view on any investments. Unless you consider 12 to 36 mos long term.
__________________
Spending my time as wisely as I can, since I donít know what my time account balance is.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:03 PM   #1456
Recycles dryer sheets
JohnnyBGoode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 182
Ally just bumped their 18-month CD to 5%. Their 12-month is still at 4.5% - looks like they are targeting the 18-month CD as their sweet spot.
JohnnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #1457
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 10,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
Ally just bumped their 18-month CD to 5%. Their 12-month is still at 4.5% - looks like they are targeting the 18-month CD as their sweet spot.
Interesting as one can buy a brokered Ally Bank CD on Fidelity for 18 months for 5.15%. Non callable.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 01:04 PM   #1458
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SoCal, Lausanne
Posts: 4,408
Be patient, even better CD yields that what we saw in March are coming. With MM funds at 5% and still rising, there is no need to rush in. Medium to long term treasury yields are still too low and market forces will eventually cause those yields to tick up slowly.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:38 PM   #1459
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,349
I picked up a few 9 month B of A CD's at 5.3% just now. Fido and Vanguard both have them. I have a couple of older Zion CD's but they are not the strongest bank and I would rather not deal with the FDIC in the event of a failure.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:53 PM   #1460
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,638
DiscoverBank is now 4.0%, up from 3.9%.
__________________
Married, both 68. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 15 (6 members and 9 guests)
GenXguy, happycampr, jw72, Maximus, RE2Boys
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.