Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 06:50 PM   #1741
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Perhaps. You could always skew the ladder to the first few years and then methodically extend it is early rungs mature.

That is what I ended up doing... not necessarily intentionally.. but my ladder s skewed to the early years and as maturities occur I am backfilling some rungs.
Thanks for thinking of me pb, as I am presently extending short duration bonds at maturity in the 6-18 month window.
Soon I would like to go for longer duration bonds or cds in my IRA.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2023, 11:02 AM   #1742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1yr non callable CD's hit 5.5% today at Schwab.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:57 PM   #1743
Give me a forum ...

The short term CD rates are great. It's a bit disappointing that with Treasury rates taking up slightly, we haven't seen much movement in these mid to longer term CDs.

But maybe it will happen yet.
Old 09-14-2023, 03:41 PM   #1744
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
The short term CD rates are great. It's a bit disappointing that with Treasury rates taking up slightly, we haven't seen much movement in these mid to longer term CDs.

But maybe it will happen yet.
It is a bit frustrating. Hopefully the 7 trillion+ in Treasuries maturing over the next year will help move long term Treasury rates higher and CD rates to follow.
Old 09-14-2023, 03:45 PM   #1745

In a TAXABLE account, are a 1 yr CD returns (Yield) -

still taxed as ordinary income ? as it is not a stock per se

OR

does the long term cap gains rate of 15%(for me) apply as it is a year long investment ?
Old 09-14-2023, 03:49 PM   #1746
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkser View Post
In a TAXABLE account, are a 1 yr CD returns (Yield) -

still taxed as ordinary income ? as it is not a stock per se

OR

does the long term cap gains rate of 15%(for me) apply as it is a year long investment ?
This is taxed as ordinary income.

Edit to add - the yields on tax exempt munis are quite low. Unless one is paying high marginal state and federal tax rates, they really don’t make much sense now. This is (IIRC) quite a change from a few years ago.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:25 PM   #1747
Give me a forum ...

RANT on:

I've commented before that it really irritates me when a bank doesn't pay it's brokered CD's interest on time as promised. (I like to reinvest the payments in SWVXX as soon as I receive them). I've checked with Schwab and they assure me they post payments as soon as they receive them from the issuing banks. Most pay on time but about ~25% delay payments by a few days. (I can understand when a payment date falls on a weekend but not on a business day)

Now I'm thinking about starting to call the issuing banks myself and complain and/or posting negative feedback on the issuing banks website about their practice of delaying payments. My only way to fight back, I guess.

RANT off (for now)...
Old 09-15-2023, 01:34 PM   #1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
RANT on:

I've commented before that it really irritates me when a bank doesn't pay it's brokered CD's interest on time as promised. (I like to reinvest the payments in SWVXX as soon as I receive them). I've checked with Schwab and they assure me they post payments as soon as they receive them from the issuing banks. Most pay on time but about ~25% delay payments by a few days. (I can understand when a payment date falls on a weekend but not on a business day)

Now I'm thinking about starting to call the issuing banks myself and complain and/or posting negative feedback on the issuing banks website about their practice of delaying payments. My only way to fight back, I guess.

RANT off (for now)...
I haven't experienced that issue yet but agree it would irritate me too.

I also reinvest as soon as I receive them.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:37 PM   #1749
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^
Well I have about 20 active CD's now. Most of them pay monthly so lot's of opportunity for them to miss payments by a few days.

I've got another one "pending" payment from earlier this week.

I wonder what would happen if I was late on a loan or credit card payment?
Old 09-15-2023, 01:42 PM   #1750

Quote:
^^^^^
Well I have about 20 active CD's now. Most of them pay monthly so lot's of opportunity for them to miss payments by a few days.

I've got another one "pending" payment this week.
Just start charging them a $35 late interest payment fee. They would do the same to you. [emoji6]

I wonder if you could complain to the CFPB.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:49 PM   #1751
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
Just start charging them a $35 late interest payment fee. They would do the same to you. [emoji6]

I wonder if you could complain to the CFPB.
I wish I could.

Schwab tells me the contracts they have with these banks, gives the banks some "wiggle" room. (Funny, they never pay early) Well IMO, they should say payments are due to me "somewhere around X date" and not on X date specifically if that's they way they operate.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:09 PM   #1752
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's also a factor when buying brokered C. D.'s..When I buy one I can find nothing offered that settles in less then a week..So my money is dead money for a week..It seems treasuries always settle within a week..Is that correct?
Old 09-15-2023, 02:17 PM   #1753
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
That's also a factor when buying brokered C. D.'s..When I buy one I can find nothing offered that settles in less then a week..So my money is dead money for a week..
That's true, but I know that going in and can decide to buy or not.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:26 PM   #1754

Aren't treasuries more timely?
Old 09-15-2023, 02:32 PM   #1755
Give me a forum ...

I don't buy treasuries (directly) so I don't know for sure. But I'm sure there are others here that will know.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:35 PM   #1756

Quote:
That's also a factor when buying brokered C. D.'s..When I buy one I can find nothing offered that settles in less then a week..So my money is dead money for a week..It seems treasuries always settle within a week..Is that correct?
At Schwab I just buy it and let it show a negative cash balance. Then I sell my SWVXX 1 day prior to the settlement date. A little bit of a pain but at least I keep earning interest right on up to the settlement date.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:42 PM   #1757
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
RANT on:

RANT off (for now)...

My father used to refer to such people as chiselers. The name comes from the old days when coins were made of real gold or silver. Unethical people would use a chisel to scrape a bit of gold off of each coin, not enough to be noticed. Eventually, they could melt it down into something worth real money.

That is the reason coins have those serrated edges. So you can identify a coin that had been chiseled.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:46 PM   #1758
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
RANT on:

RANT off (for now)...
So I looked a little deeper and found this one particular bank (1st Carolina) has only paid me on time "once" since I bought a CD from them. They have always been a day or more late with their payments to me, so far.

Float?
Old 09-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #1759
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I donít worry about it because at Fidelity my money continues earning a decent MM rate until the CD s issued.

Treasury bills settle/issue within a few days to a week from auction. Other treasuries can take a bit longer. Regardless your funds donít leave the account until the settle/issue date so mine continue to earn MM interest.
Old 09-15-2023, 04:25 PM   #1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I donít worry about it because at Fidelity my money continues earning a decent MM rate until the CD s issued.

Treasury bills settle/issue within a few days to a week from auction. Other treasuries can take a bit longer. Regardless your funds donít leave the account until the settle/issue date so mine continue to earn MM interest.
Schwab requires funds to be in cash account which pays nothing..I buy my treasuries on secondary market I guess..They told me I should not place an order to buy unless I have money in cash account to pay for it