Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2024, 11:00 AM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
I can't comment on why you didn't get notified. If it were me I'd call the broker and ask why you weren't notified.
I took your advice and just tried calling Vanguard to ask why I never received an alert. The hold time is over an hour.

So, I tried the chat window. The person in chat told me I had to talk with someone in fixed income which is not over chat. They also have a wait time. So, I am giving up trying to speak with someone.

When I look at Vanguard's alert settings page, nowhere does it have a checkbox to get alerts when a brokered CD gets called. So, I am assuming they just do not support that. Not a big deal, but I do have a lot of brokered CDs so it would have been nice to get an alert versus having to manually check. If anyone with Vanguard has brokered CDs that have been called, and you have received a text or email alert, please let me know.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2024, 11:20 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^
Interesting, another "plus" for Schwab users. Almost never a wait/hold time.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:24 AM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
^^^^^
Interesting, another "plus" for Schwab users. Almost never a wait/hold time.
Exactly, every time I call Schwab, I get a person immediately, even after hours.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:33 PM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yikes on the wait time!

Fidelity answers quickly - and always on their game.

If I was told I had to wait an hour to speak with a rep I would immediately move every penny to another institution. You don't need to sell equities or funds, just transfer for either Fidelity or Schwab to manage.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:07 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Exactly, every time I call Schwab, I get a person immediately, even after hours.
Agreed. Every time. Excellent and knowledgeable.
Maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 04:42 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Yikes on the wait time!

Fidelity answers quickly - and always on their game.

If I was told I had to wait an hour to speak with a rep I would immediately move every penny to another institution. You don't need to sell equities or funds, just transfer for either Fidelity or Schwab to manage.
+1 on Fidelity.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:53 PM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

I note that Navy Fed has a 12-month CD with APY of 5.15% available. I just rolled over a CD with them. I'll ride with Navy until next April and then check the rates.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:20 PM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDriver View Post
I note that Navy Fed has a 12-month CD with APY of 5.15% available. I just rolled over a CD with them. I'll ride with Navy until next April and then check the rates.
I have a CD there maturing in 17 days. Maybe I'll leap on that too.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:06 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If Navy isn't available, Schwab has a 1 year CD at 5.1% non-callable.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:36 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think they are 5.1% APY. The Specials have a 5.3% APY but are relatively useless to most here as they have a $3k limit.

https://www.navyfederal.org/checking...ate-rates.html
Old 04-09-2024, 02:35 PM   #151

American Express drops the rate on it's high yield savings account to 4.3% today down from 4.35% - this rate was last changed in October.

CDs are not truly competitive. Best offer is a 11-month CD at 4.75% no minimum and can renew at the then offered rate for that term.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:43 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
American Express drops the rate on it's high yield savings account to 4.3% today down from 4.35% - this rate was last changed in October.

CDs are not truly competitive. Best offer is a 11-month CD at 4.75% no minimum and can renew at the then offered rate for that term.
Yep,~1yr brokered CD's have been, and still are running just over 5%.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:42 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Yep,~1yr brokered CD's have been, and still are running just over 5%.
Last time I renewed, about 4-6 weeks ago, it was about the same 1-year for a bit over 5%.

OTOH, I have a 10-month CD maturing next week which has an APY of 4.48% and they're offering 5% APY for 10, 12 or 15 months at a local credit union.

For the convenience of not having to move funds around, I'm inclined to renew, rather than chasing say another 1/10 of a point. Now if the difference was more like 1/5 of a point or greater, I would jump through the hoops.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:20 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

I went thru a period late last year early this year where direct bank CDs had higher rates than brokered CDs, especially compared to the noncallable ones. I ended up with all direct bank CDs loading up in Dec and Jan. This may have changed again recently. Also T-bills were offering higher rates than brokered CDs and I think they still are. I’ve been happily rolling over mine so far.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:58 AM   #155

Did a Barclays 6 month at 5.3 percent. NASA has a 9 month at 5.4, but I can't seem to get an account opened there...
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:01 PM   #156

We have been especially alert to CD rates with 5 year maturities of late as we have a CD maturing this month in our 5 year ladder. As far as I can see the highest non callable rate I can find at Fidelity for new issues is 4.35%. For secondary market non callable I'm seeing 4.46%. For direct bank CD's I'm seeing 4.55%. We live in a state with the top marginal income tax rate of 7.15%, and looking at TE yields, buying a 5 year treasury at auction this month, we could get a TE yield of 4.924%, so I think our decision has been made.

If anyone knows of a 5 year direct CD with a rate of 5% please post here.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:13 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
We have been especially alert to CD rates with 5 year maturities of late as we have a CD maturing this month in our 5 year ladder. As far as I can see the highest non callable rate I can find at Fidelity for new issues is 4.35%. For secondary market non callable I'm seeing 4.46%. For direct bank CD's I'm seeing 4.55%. We live in a state with the top marginal income tax rate of 7.15%, and looking at TE yields, buying a 5 year treasury at auction this month, we could get a TE yield of 4.924%, so I think our decision has been made.

If anyone knows of a 5 year direct CD with a rate of 5% please post here.
I personally have been looking for that combo too, but have not seen anything close.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:54 PM   #158

JPMorgan Callable CD was called and paid out today. Help me understand what I didn't understand when I bought it.

I purchased a callable JPMorgan CD that settled on 7-11-23. It was a 13 months CD that would mature on 8-12-24 if not called. It paid 5.55% interest, which I thought was per year, so 12 months.

The CD was for $25,000. It was called and paid out today 4-11-24, so 9 months after purchasing it.

If it would have lasted 12 months, I was expecting (25000 x .0555) = $1387.50 in interest. Since it was only held for 9 months before being called, I would expect 9/12 or 3/4 of that interest. So $1040.63 in interest.

Instead, I got paid $345.92 in interest today (along with the return of the $25,000).

What am I not understanding? I'm sure I'm wrong, but I don't know why.
Perhaps I have now learned why most people say don't buy callable CDs.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:08 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
JPMorgan Callable CD was called and paid out today. Help me understand what I didn't understand when I bought it.

I purchased a callable JPMorgan CD that settled on 7-11-23. It was a 13 months CD that would mature on 8-12-24 if not called. It paid 5.55% interest, which I thought was per year, so 12 months.

The CD was for $25,000. It was called and paid out today 4-11-24, so 9 months after purchasing it.

If it would have lasted 12 months, I was expecting (25000 x .0555) = $1387.50 in interest. Since it was only held for 9 months before being called, I would expect 9/12 or 3/4 of that interest. So $1040.63 in interest.

Instead, I got paid $345.92 in interest today (along with the return of the $25,000).

What am I not understanding? I'm sure I'm wrong, but I don't know why.
Perhaps I have now learned why most people say don't buy callable CDs.
You likely got interest paid December 2023 credited last year? I say this because:
25000*.0555*102/366 = $386
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:16 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
You likely got interest paid December 2023 credited last year? I say this because:
25000*.0555*102/366 = $386
Doh! Almost correct. They paid me $699.45 on January 11th. I had forgotten that. Close enough.

Thanks for helping me find that. Problem solved.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote