Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I, too, wonder what "tax free" means. Does this have any relevance?

State Personal Income Taxes on Pensions and Retirement Income: FY 2009
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I, too, wonder what "tax free" means. Does this have any relevance?

State Personal Income Taxes on Pensions and Retirement Income: FY 2009
I should have said no state income tax my bad.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I remember an argument years back that Oregon had a lower overall tax then Washington state because of the high sales tax that makes up for no income tax.
They are right no state runs on air..If you have a high enough income in retirement, you will probably want to spend it and the sales tax and local taxes in WA are high.

And I just found this article about state estate taxes
... - Investment News -
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
aaron how about Amarillo.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
If you have a high enough income in retirement, you will probably want to spend it and the sales tax and local taxes in WA are high.
Washington: no income tax.
Oregon: no sales tax.

Many people find Vancouver, WA (just across the river from Portland) attractive for this reason. Though it wouldn't surprise me if revenue-starved states started searching vehicles crossing from Oregon into Washington looking for Washington residents with stuff they just bought in Oregon...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #26

If the OP thinks that Spokane and Reno have the best climate, then that is so far from what I think that I cannot even comment

One thing I will say, is that folks tend to focus on the extremes, especially the high temps, instead of the average temps. For instance, I was working in Austin during the summer and it was definitely hot during the day. But the evenings were absolutely gorgeous. I loved going out in the evening in the summer there.

When I lived in San Jose, many of the mid-day temps were fine but it was cold as soon as the sun went down. It was uncomfortable to have almost any outdoor event last past dark most of the year without jackets, etc.

Another thing about weather is predictability. I am living in Medellin, Colombia, which has year around high/low temps of about 82/62 (due to 1500 meter elevation near sea level). But it rains 60 inches per year. However, it hardly ever rains in the mornings or early afternoon. So I changed my workout schedule to the morning instead of late afternoon like in the USA and it has worked out great. If the rain were less predictable, it would be more of a drawback. This also makes it easier to schedule outdoor activities like tennis.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I remember an argument years back that Oregon had a lower overall tax then Washington state because of the high sales tax that makes up for no income tax.
They are right no state runs on air..If you have a high enough income in retirement, you will probably want to spend it and the sales tax and local taxes in WA are high.

And I just found this article about state estate taxes
... - Investment News -
Purely from a tax perspective, one should live in Washington, right on the Oregon border. No state income tax in WA (quite high in OR-- maxes out at 11%!) and do all your shopping in OR (with no sales tax).

Opps see someone else made the same point.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Trans-pecos region of Texas around Alpine and Fort Davis is probably the best climate. High altitude means really comfortable summers, low-humidity, mid-80s and they apologize for the "heat". Pretty scenic. Winters aren't bad.

But you are really out in the middle of nowhere. I think closest Walmart is like 80 miles away and 3 hours to the nearest mall.

Audrey
Old 06-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
aaron how about Amarillo.
Man, you wouldn't catch me anywhere near the TX panhandle!

(Well, that is except for occasionally camping at Palo Duro Canyon State Park)

Audrey
Old 06-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #30

Yeah, living in a yurt in the Texas mountains to live in a tax free state w/ climate low in sounds like a hoot.

If I had enough income to really be that concerned w/ taxes I think I would be able to afford to live where I wanted to live. Besides, in many cases you are gonna pay one way or another.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Besides, in many cases you are gonna pay one way or another.
With a few exceptions I think this is correct. The big three taxes (income, sales and property) have a way of balancing out.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #32

[QUOTE=kramer;951242]If the OP thinks that Spokane and Reno have the best climate, then that is so far from what I think that I cannot even comment

QUOTE]

I don't know the best cities I am just trying to get some more ideas from the great people on this forum.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Sequim,WA is in the center of the rain shadow of Mt Olympus on the north shore of the Olympic peninsula.

Total rainfall is about the same as Los Angeles (16" or so). Average winter hi/low 45/29, average summer hi/low 69/49.
Sequim lies within the rainshadow of the Olympic Mountains and receives an average of less than 15 inches of rain per year, nearly qualifying it as a desert. Fogs and cool breezes from the Juan de Fuca Strait make Sequim's environment more humid than would be expected from the low average annual precipitation
Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #34

Here is a list of the seven states with no state income tax.

Alaska – no personal tax, but has a state corporate income tax.
Florida – no personal income tax, but has a corporate income tax (at a 5% rate). The state once had a tax on "intangible personal property" held on the first day of the year (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, money market funds, etc.), but it was abolished at the start of 2007.
Nevada – has no personal or corporate income tax. Nevada gets most of its revenue from gaming and sales taxes.
South Dakota – no personal income tax, but has a state corporate income tax on financial institutions.
Texas – no personal income tax or corporate income tax. In May 2007, the legislature replaced the franchise tax with a gross margins tax on businesses (sole proprietorships and some partnerships were automatically exempt; corporations with receipts below a certain level were also exempt), which was amended in 2009 to increase the exemption level. The Texas Constitution places severe restrictions on passage of a personal income tax and use of its proceeds.
Washington – no personal tax, but has a Business and Occupation Tax (B&O) on gross receipts, applied to "almost all businesses located or doing business in Washington." It varies from 0.138% for splitting dried peas to 1.6% for bigtime gambling.[8][9]
Wyoming – has no personal or corporate income taxes.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #35

For low humidity Nevada, Texas, and Washington look good. Wyoming is the closest to colorado maybe it would work. I am looking for something with less humidity than ST LOUIS.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For low humidity Nevada, Texas, and Washington look good. Wyoming is the closest to colorado maybe it would work. I am looking for something with less humidity than ST LOUIS.
I think you will find that all these states you mention will differ from St. Louis in many more ways than humidity. Have you ever been to Wyoming? There are fewer people in the entire state than in most ordinary cities. I think it would be atractive in many ways, but man you would be out there. Might be good if you really really like sheep.

Ha
Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Here is a list of the seven states with no state income tax.

(snip)
Washington – no personal tax, but has a Business and Occupation Tax (B&O) on gross receipts, applied to "almost all businesses located or doing business in Washington." It varies from 0.138% for splitting dried peas to 1.6% for bigtime gambling.[8][9]
As already mentioned there is a state sales tax in WA and sometimes local sales tax on top of that. Here in Seattle, the total sales tax rate is almost 10%.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:37 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Have you ever been to Wyoming? There are fewer people in the entire state than in most ordinary cities. I think it would be atractive in many ways, but man you would be out there.
Ha
That would be a major plus to me. Too bad Wyoming has what I would consider to be an unbareable winter or i'd love to retire there. Is there a place in Florida that has a low population density that doesn't have major alligator issues?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

It is hard to beat northern Florida for weather and taxes.
bobbee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Have you ever been to Wyoming? There are fewer people in the entire state than in most ordinary cities. I think it would be atractive in many ways, but man you would be out there. Might be good if you really really like sheep.
And cold in the winter like you wouldn't believe... or even imagine.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote