Best Economy in 50 Years

2B

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Back in 2002, both my BIL (medical IT) and I (engineering) were out of w*rk and it took each of us over a year to find a new position. Two weeks ago my BIL was again out of a j*b and he started a new one today for more money close to their home in California. I get calls from recruiters several times a month with promises of more money.

There's sure a lot of turmoil going on right now. CNBC hasn't run an upbeat story in what seems like years. Stocks are churning and interest rates are low. Owning a house in the wrong area can really hurt. However, it appears that a person with reasonable professional credentials can find w*rk if they are so inclined. There are help wanted signs all over Houston for anyone that can breathe.

I can't help but think we are in better shape than we were back at the turn of the century.

There's no doubt that the Houston economy is doing well. I dought that it's the best in 50 years though. They did pretty well there in the seventies and early eighties.

It's the rest of the country that concerns us. When the oil patch is up the rest of the country is down.

We all can't live in Houston though, not that we would want that.

Yep, several new hospitals going up around here. Kaiser is building a new one, another hospice care has a huge new hospital going up, and Kaiser is aggressively adding on to three of their local area campuses. Marshall just built a new 6-8 building campus in the next town over.

Yep, several new hospitals going up around here. Kaiser is building a new one, another hospice care has a huge new hospital going up, and Kaiser is aggressively adding on to three of their local area campuses. Marshall just built a new 6-8 building campus in the next town over.

Ya Sutter is building that new Woman's and Children hospital. People still get sick and for some reason still make babies in a down economy. Guess doing it is cheap at first :D

And theres that other Kaiser emergency center/hospital going up in Sac.

Lots of municipal construction going on too...lots of road and bridge work. The commercial/retail seems to have ground to a halt but I guess the folks who HAVE to do some work are taking advantage of the lower construction labor costs.

It's very odd.... there are quite a few layoffs (UHG laying off 2,000, our company just laid off a few dozen, Sparky mentioned SuperValu is laying off a bunch of people, Northwest is laying off quite a few people).... but then I'm also getting a lot of calls and emails for jobs and I'm swamped with side work right now.

I can't put my finger on it... it's very different from 2001. Hiring virtually froze then.

And theres that other Kaiser emergency center/hospital going up in Sac.

Lots of municipal construction going on too...lots of road and bridge work. The commercial/retail seems to have ground to a halt but I guess the folks who HAVE to do some work are taking advantage of the lower construction labor costs.

Like the hot cross bun avatar. I'm considering a bacon wrapped doughnut. Whaddyathink?

Attachments

• bacon wrapped donut.jpg
    bacon wrapped donut.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 270
Hey, Jackalope bacon is good eats.

Thats a nasty looking bacon maple bar. Try this one...

Attachments

• bacon donut.jpg
    bacon donut.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 267
More Bacon Fun !

Bacon Flavered Dental Floss
baconfloss.jpg

Bacon Shaped Bandages
11476.jpg

Bacon Flavered Vodka

Bacon Wallet...

Chocolate Covered Bacon

I saw it less of a hijack and more of an endorsement of products that will improve hiring in the medical field.

I mean...donuts and bacon? Hospitals and doctors offices should hand them out for free in the streets!

Bacon Flavered Dental Floss
baconfloss.jpg

Bacon Shaped Bandages
11476.jpg

Bacon Flavered Vodka

Bacon Wallet...

Chocolate Covered Bacon

That's funny because the hot new food item at the MN. state fair this year is choc. covered pork on a stick. Just makes your mouth water, doesn't it.

Oh man, I want a bacon wallet...

You got chocolate covered pork?!? Ours was trying out deep fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches (fried elvis) and deep fried pineapple. Cant say anything terribly positive about either one. They looked gross and I saw several people take a bite and toss theirs.

Hummmm...........Bacon

Maybe it's an Omen.

Thinking commodities.

Thinking Pork Bellies.

Thinking maybe the next bubble. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom