Best Introductory Book on Investing

I would explain in real simple terms ... suggest he get into a Target Date Fund. Then you could discuss the differences in the various Target Date Funds' make-up (e.g. mostly large U.S companies, some international companies and some bonds). The two of you could pick a specific fund. You could talk to him about ways of adding to the fund. Then, if he's interested he could start reading. Hopefully, he won't be all that interested--and that he just continues to put money into the Target Fund (ok, maybe something into Wellesley as he get older).

I second Redduck's idea of the TDF to just get things going, assuming it's index-based and low cost. But I'd also recommend a book to help him determine a suitable AA and choose the TDF accordingly, rather than based on date name.

I've read - and keep in my library - nearly all of the books suggested here. I like them for different reasons but - when recommending a single book for someone starting with zero previous knowledge in investing - I go for drop-dead simple and a quick read. I like Dan Solin's books for that reason and others. Quick read, short chapters that get right to the point, covers the essentials, how to do it with Vanguard, Fido, or TRP. By the time the reader/new investor has time to get bored or sleepy, he's already at the end of the book and with the most critical basics grasped.

Mike Piper's book - mentioned by others - is another great choice. As much as I like 4 Pillars, Random Walk, and others, I feel they are more suitable for a few weeks or months into the new investor's learning process - just not day one.

The GCC Asset Allocation - Go Curry Cracker!Go Curry Cracker!

This young retired couple has handful of funds. One does not need to read books to have such portfolio.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

No, one does not have to read books but one does need to gain one's knowledge somewhere. The problem is - whether it be books, blogs, brothers, or buddies - there is a lot of good and bad information out there. Had the OP not asked specifically for book recommendations we could be discussing some of the other good sources.

The GCC crew appears to have made some major changes to the structure of their portfolio, but not blindly so. They are obviously not without some investing knowledge/experience. I note in particular the shedding of individual stocks in favor of indexing. Any decent source of investing info - be it books or otherwise - would help one understand that a handful of cost-efficient funds, well diversified and reasonably allocated, can be sufficient for the long-term investor.

As an aside, we're just talking about the "investing". Of course there's also the "saving" (or LBYM, whatever) in order to have something to invest in the first place. When I find myself recommending a beginning "investing" book, the beginner often needs to learn some good habits in that area as well. So then we're talking more about personal finance, not just investing. :)

+1 on Bogleheads Guide to Investing

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom