Best place to park cash for 1-?? months

I guess anything can happen. Everything seems to have a heavy downside.

Re: the markets. I had sincerely hoped we'd see the markets continue to settle downwards another six months, followed by a nice, steady, persistent upward trend. This rocketship back to near internet bubble levels for the indexes is very disconcerting. SOME consistency and reliability would be nice.

Re. "everything seems to have a downside", life is like
that so you better get used to it. Life can be a struggle and our reward is the grave, so my advice is to wring
as much "life" out of each day as you can. To do
otherwise is foolish, IMHO.

John Galt

Oh gosh, I think life is a little better than that!

I guess my "everything" applied more to investments than general life.

Right now:

- According to most experts, bonds are due for a whacking within a year due to a variety of already listed reasons
- Stocks are run-up and many feel that the overall indices are overpriced
- Real estate is run up and riding a bubble
- Foreign and emerging market stocks have run up, but many still say they're cheap compared to US stocks. Really crappy medium to long term historical performance, but then again those areas continue to develop their economies and business practices, so taking ones eyes from the rear view mirror is necessary

You can still go into short term bonds and tips, but unless you're carrying a very large portfolio, I dont think you get a SWR.

That having been said, as of today i'm fully invested. My only cash is about a years expenses in my checking account.

I put about 2/3 of my port into the wellesley income fund. While the bond portion may get whacked, the worst four quarters dividends historically paid (even during bond bear markets) still coughed up enough cash for me to get by on. The average dividend results I can live very well on. Should the equities markets drop a bit at some point in the next year, I may reallocate half of this into equities.

About 6% went into the emerging markets index fund

About another 8% went split between the europe and pacific indexes.

The remainder, not a whole lot, went into the short term corporate index fund.

I have all of these in the taxable account, throwing dividends and capital gains direct deposit to my checking account.

In my IRA I converted the healthcare and total market index funds into the REIT index, explorer, and international explorer. About 6% of the total portfolio each. I figured the high turnover stuff would be best in the tax deferred account. This is a volatile piece of the port, and these funds arent 'bargains', but the health care and total market indices took the run up, so I traded expensive stuff for expensive stuff. I wont be touching this money for 20+ years. I'll reallocate it in the future, probably ending up in some balanced index. I just wanted some pizazz to go with my stodgy income fund, plus the potential for the small cap US & foreign and emerging markets makes some sense.

The taxable portion is mostly low cost (the Wellesley Income Admiral fund charges 0.20%, the rest are pretty inexpensive compared to peer funds.

If all goes to plan, the dividends and capital gains from my taxable account will exceed my living requirements. I'll see some NAV improvements in them over the long haul. If the equities market softens a little and I move some of the Wellesley fund into an equities-heavy fund, even more NAV improvement in exchange for some income. In the meanwhile, the IRA will hopefully do well. I should not need to draw off any of my core capital. Ever.

Unfortunately, there are at least a dozen experts for each investment type and category that says doom and gloom are coming up or its a bad pick. But I cant sit still or sit in short term bonds forever.

Wish me luck!!!

TH,

I think you made a smart decision and as long as you stay with it for the long haul, you'll probably be OK.

The problems arise when in 6 months, your investments tank about 30%, you have to have the guts to hang in there. You will be rewarded over time, if you stay the course. Easy to say, tough to do!

I'm about to embark on a similar course, and you have to keep the faith. That is the only thing that works.

May God help us both! :)

Looks like a very sane approach that should give you low volatility and a reasonable yield. I'm too chicken to have that much bond exposure right now, even the high quality intermediate term holdings in your Wellesley fund. So I'll just sit here on a pile of cash for a few more months while you guys enjoy your income.

Good luck all!

Well I hope to god I dont see a 30% dumper. The reason why I diversified to a wide bond, foreign and REIT package was to avoid a drop that large. Even during the worst bond bear years the wellesley fund only lost 11%. I can live with that. I can live with 20%. Because it'll come back in 5, 7, 10 years. 30% would annoy me greatly because my first thought would be "great, I could be living in my mcmansion still with my money in cash and have a better position right now".

I hope the volatility is ok as well, but frankly that doesnt scare me a lot either. With a years expenses in the bank, regular income from my fiancee's side of the house, and (I believe) a worst case yield of $20k per year, the NAVs can wobble like weebles for all I care.

As far as the bond exposure. Color me amused. I've ridden my dad for years for his 100% EE bond portfolio. Its paying him 6+% right now and he's withdrawing below the interest rate on his bucket o' bonds. The bond guy working the wellesley fund gets great marks so I'm hoping I benefit *somewhat* from a non-index approach and he moves to cash or shorter term bonds. Either way, if it appears the bond market is positively headed for a large hole in the ground, and ideally if a fat drop in US equities occurs, I'll exchange some of that wellesley fund for more equity and perhaps trade some value for growth. The similarly managed and fee structured Wellington fund looks appealing. I can see my largest assets split between those two funds in the near future. When the prices are right.

I think I'll get to index funds at some point. I think in traditional markets they make sense, and vs badly managed funds and/or high fund rates, they make all the sense int he world. I just dont think we're in a traditional marketplace and these partly managed funds charge index rates. Maybe a lesson I have to learn (again) that all y'all have already burned in.

What I do appreciate is that folks are actually READING these massive missives I produce. Your experiences, different perspectives and information have really broadened my horizons. Between what i've gleaned here and through some recent readings, I think I've got a nice diverse portfolio for (todays) situation. Of course, I also know that concentration wins the day, but only if you're lucky,

Jarhead,

We do have some experts on this forum, and I do not count myself as one of them. Ted and JWR seem to have a lot of knowledge and I have learned from them both.

As far as the generational thing, I have a lot of friends in your generation and most of them have pensions, so they don't have to be concerned.

My generation mostly have no retirement plans at all :eek:, so the posters here are the exception. I think most of my generation plan to drop dead at their desks. Work never agreed with my fishing schedule that often :D, so I had to figure out a way to quit and still afford to go fishing.

BTW - with your jarhead moniker are you an ex-marine? Me - I'm an ex-squid, just did 4 years during the Vietnam War.

Jarhead -

Read Gillette Edmunds book on how to retire early. Its available on Amazon.com and other places. That is the catalyst that started making me think a little differently about investments.

The book and this web site reinforced some basic things I had already "sort-of" learned. Perhaps all of this is fundamental to many and even is covered elsewhere, and its certainly off-topic to "best place to park cash", but here goes...

- Investment experts who take your money are simply selling you a cookie cutter approach that they've developed once and re-used, or steering you into something that they'll make money off of if you buy it. The old adage of "if you're so smart, why arent you sitting on a yacht somewhere instead of doing this" applies. I get great exposure to this from my dads neighbors. He lives in an affluent retirement community, although he owns the smallest and cheapest model that isnt a lot more expensive than a typical home on the street. He has tons of friends and neighbors in their 60's-90's. Lots of them are paying 3%+ to advisors to help them lose their money in buckets. Learn the ropes, use low cost investment services like those from vanguard if necessary, and once you get yourself into the right distribution of instruments, it shouldnt take a lot of time or knowledge to keep things going. Buying 3 uncorrelated index funds and doing a yearly rebalance of assets may be all you need.

- Non-correlated assets, IE not puting all your eggs in one basket. Many think this is splitting your money between US stocks and bonds, and the only question is how much. The "real savvy" guys might throw in a little european stock or some small cap US stocks. Only problem here is the US stock and bond market have experienced periods of stagnant behavior, sometimes for a decade or more. Some argue we're smarter about how the economy works and that this wont happen again. I doubt that. Also US stocks and bonds often "move in the same direction" to certain stimuli. So the trick is to find 3-5 non-correlated assets like real estate, bonds of different duration, stocks of different sized companies, stocks and bonds in established countries such as most of europe, stocks but probably NOT bonds in the wild west emerging market countries, oil and gas pumpers, precious metals, etc. Some of these "move" the same way to a certain stimuli, like inflation or rising interest rates. Several move in different directions or not at all.

- Investing "in the rear view mirror". You look at 20 stock funds and buy the one with the best 10 year return record, and put no thought into the one with the 10 year losing record. Only problem there is the "good one" might be tapped out while the crappy one might be about to take off. Japan has sucked for a long time, but there is some belief that "new management" is going to enact the economic reforms that will recharge the country and its stock market. Hence the lousy investment prospects there might turn out to be the best opportunity to make a lot of money. Same with emerging markets. Some of the african, latin american and pacific rim countries are just starting to pull together some semblance of consistentcy and a number of lively companies might just make a long term go of it. A few bucks in the right places there might add a lot of juice.

- US stocks and bonds may not be the place for your money. Many non traditional experts think the US market is overdone and we may be locked into a trading range for some time. It may be too many highly developed companies - what retailer is going to push wal-mart over? - or just that the economy is fully developed overall. Some say europe and japan are where the US was 25-35 years ago and the big bargains and run-ups could be in one of those countries. Some say even europe is already "done" and you need to focus on the emerging markets.

- So that brings us to the crux. Pick 3-5 of Edmunds proposed asset classes in a mix that should produce the level of return you need, coupled with risk you can swallow, in a ratio that spreads the cash around satisfactorily. Then periodically take money away from the 'winners' that have run up and put it into the 'losers' that went the other way. This takes into consideration that the winners have already run up and the losers are now better bargains than when you first bought them.

Bottom line is read a lot, keep an open mind, and realize that many "experts" dont know any more than you do.

Semper Fi, Jarhead. I was destined for Viet Nam
but took what I thought at the time was the less
dangerous course. I got married. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. I missed the war, but I've seen
plenty of combat :).

John Galt

Hi John Galt:
You are alive to tell your story, so it probably worked for you. (I know divorce can be combat)
Realize this is not a nostalgia board, but you reminded me with your statement about preferring marriage to Vietnam, about the official stance the Marine Corps had on dependents. (Wife, children).
The Marine Corps. stance was that if they had wanted you to have dependents, they would have issued them to you.
No problem for me, I was a kid and single. But for the career Marines, it meant no dependents overseas. ie, if you were sent to Japan or Okinawa for the traditional 2 year tour of duty, your wife and children were not part of the program.
Generally, at the time of the draft, you were put way down on the list if you were married, but able to marry during your tour of course. (One of my buddies married a girl he met in Oceanside, and 3 months later was sent to Okinawa, and didn't see her again for over 2 years.)
Wow, I forgot what board I am on.
Regards, Jarhead

Back
Top Bottom