Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Best resource to ease someone in to tracking / reducing expenses?
Old 12-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Best resource to ease someone in to tracking / reducing expenses?

Hello all!

I lurk a lot but post rarely. I do most of my & DH's retirement planning and am about to go through another closer look at our expenses, savings, etc.

DH expressed an interest in reducing spending but not reducing his standard of living. I see this as a potential hook to get him to look more closely at ways we spend that are not as rewarding as they might appear to be.

Does anyone have any recommended sources I could point him toward that are along the lines of "painless hacks" that reduce spending?

I KNOW that this is a rather unrealistic way of thinking about spending, but I see any interest on his part in scrutinizing spending as a potential a "gateway drug" toward more careful spending and thus, earlier retirement. (He's on board with saving, so we've got half the battle under control...)

So if you can withhold the judgement, I'd love some recs! (And for those who can't withhold judgement, good recs still appreciated!)

Thanks for all the info you all share on a regular basis. It has been helpful.
jkf
Weebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First off, both of you could sit down and go through the past few years spending very carefully. Look at anything you could stop/drop and still maintain what your DH considers a good standard of living.

Sometimes small sustainable reductions work better. Look at cell phone costs, tv/cable/internet costs--can they be changed or reduced?
Groceries/dining out changes?
How often do you replace cars? Can you delay a few years?

Those are a few things I can think of.
Many more folks here will have other ideas and references.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the best way to set oneself up for expense reduction is to meticulously track your spending so that you are presented with the obvious facts as to where you spend your money.

I started tracking pretty much every dollar I spend 2 years prior to my retirement because, prior to that, I really didn't know exactly what I spent my money on. I didn't start tracking in order to identify places to reduce my spending, but it certainly could serve that purpose.

I've been retired for 3 years now and I still meticulously track my spending. I don't have a budget. I buy what I want. But every day, I see where my expenses are up to that point in the year. I now have a 5-year history of my spending - in great detail.

I use Quicken to track my expenses into categories I have set up. I make all my purchases on credit cards and download those transactions directly into Quicken and then apply them into my categories. About the only thing I pay cash for is a haircut or a lottery ticket now and then.

If you have a well-documented list of your expenditures down to enough detail that it clearly identifies your category totals, then you should be able to talk through that list with your spouse and decide if you have the desire/means to reduce the spending in specific categories.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebit View Post
DH expressed an interest in reducing spending but not reducing his standard of living.
Then look at what actually defines his standard of living. Those expenses would have to remain, or possibly be found for less money. Then the things or services that don't contribute to standard of living can possibly be done away with.

It seems to me that this is a very individualized process. For example, clothing has very little to do with my standard of living beyond fit and comfort. But our camper is a rather high end fiberglass model that we wouldn't trade in (and it's a sunk cost anyway). While I was still working, the (in retrospect) expensive to-go coffee was essential, but now it's all home brewed coffee. Eating out is not a regular event for us, but camping trips are, and we stay at the cheaper public campgrounds.

Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2021, 04:55 AM   #5

We didn't focus on spending but rather on saving. So, our method was:

(1) Did savings via automatic deduction, saved a lot & increased with every annual pay raise.
(2) Never carried a credit card balance; always paid it off monthly.

Then, spent the rest.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:21 AM   #6

First thing I would look for it "subscribed expenses," they offer the biggest bang for the buck and involve on decision but the savings continue:

Media subscriptions (streaming services, magazines, etc)
Unused loyalty memberships that charge fees/credit cards with annual fees that don't pay off in rewards
Cell Phone (Shop around for better plans. I'm on PCS which cut my bill in half with no issue in coverage, could probably go lower with Mint as I know several friends on Mint and are happy as well)
Insurance (Shop it every year or two... lot's of threads)
Basically any recurring automatic payment, look at your bank/CC statements and ID any recurring charges that can be reduced.

To me those are the absolute easiest, next would be looking for waste. Are you in the habit of turning off lights when not in the room, A/C programmable or smart so you're not heating/cooling an empty home. Low flow shower heads (might be an impact to "standard of living" but I enjoy high pressure and lower flow myself), etc.

Next elimination of habits that add no value to life. Are there things you do by habit but don't need to? Dryer sheets, would you miss them? Etc.

Next level would be substitutions; do you buy name brand groceries and household products? Have you tried cheaper alternatives? I find the quality of some store brands now exceed some of the national and are cheaper too. If you can find alternatives that offer the same value to you for lower cost you've saved without any change in living standards.

After that, you are probably getting into trade-offs that may impact quality of life but even there... Will you really use the highest options package on your next car or will the next lower package have every feature you'd use and enjoy.

To flip it, these are the most important things to me and my level of thrift increases as I go down the list and it is less important:

1. Health and wellness (I buy fresh fruit and veggies, fitness equipment/memberships, seeking care when needed, hiring out "back breaking" tasks I would have used to do myself but less likely to risk injury now, guitar and lessons are not cheap but add a mental challenge and source of accomplishment...when not frustrating me)
2. Social activities (probably should be 1.1 as having social connections is really a health and wellness thing) I track "socializing" as a separate category.

3. Daily comfort (A/C is cranked down at night as I'm a hot sleeper, ergonomic/comfortable furnishings)
4. Travel (big range, personally I don't need fancy hotels as I am going to experience wherever I am, not going to use the amenities beyond the "free" breakfast and I hate paying to park/valet!)

5. Laziness... paying someone to do something I could so myself. -Dining out alone/take out (not a social meal) for example.
6. Conspicuous consumption/fashion or any spending because it is "expected" of me or the primary purpose is to impress others.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Expense reductions is often a product of a bunch of small changes.
We seldom eat out, and when we do it's not at very expensive restaurants.
Stay at home (if you're retired) for a couple of days. Every time you go out, money's spent.
Drive automobiles until they expire. Cut back on the # of vehicles in a household. (I have 5 cars/trucks.)
Go on less expensive vacations.
Cut the thermostat up or down--depending on the season. (I only run my upstairs furnace/heat pump in Summer.)
Start grocery shopping at Aldi's and fill in at other grocery stores only buying that week's sale items. (Steak is not on our diet any longer.) We're both great cooks, and we're not suffering in the food dept.
We virtually never walk into a sticks and bricks department store or a mall. We seldom buy any clothes--since we already have a closet full of them.
Shop your auto and homeowners' insurance policies--my biggest personal expense.
Stay out of drive in markets. If we anticipate we're going to need snacks and drinks while traveling or running errands, it comes from home.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:39 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Commit to reading this blog for 30 minutes a day for a week and see if anything catches your interest?!

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013...one-blog-post/
Old 12-31-2021, 06:45 AM   #9

One other thing, you mentioned in your title.... track spending. I build a budget now that I'm FIRED but it's more of a projection than any sort of limit. Budgets can feel constricting but tracking is just information!

I've tracked for years, just measuring and being aware changes behavior (feedback loop) so if you can find a tracking system that works for him encourage him to do it (maybe a spreadsheet down to the penny like I do, or possibly looking at bank statements and notating the charges)
Old 12-31-2021, 08:29 AM   #10

I can't suggest a single resource. I think it's far more about mindset - looking for opportunities to cut spending without cutting what you're getting for your money.

Start with recurring expenses like insurance policies, cable packages, and subscriptions. We saved hundreds by switching our auto insurance a couple of years ago. Same coverage, just way cheaper.

Take advantage of as many loyalty and reward programs as possible. Free travel, free meals, and more are easy to get when you learn to play the game.

Take full advantage of reward credit cards. We charge everything we possibly can to our cards and earn hundreds per year in cash back and free travel.

Comparison shopping. The internet makes this easy. Check on things you buy regularly and see if you can't find cheaper places to get them. My wife takes an OTC medication. Initially we bought it at CVS or Target. Then we found it was cheaper on Amazon. Then we discovered it was even cheaper at BJs, so much so that what we save on that one item alone is enough to cover our annual club membership. Everything else we save by shopping there is an added bonus.

The first step, as others have mentioned, is to sit down together and review where your current spending is happening. Then you can gradually look for ways to trim the costs without cutting back on the outcome.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:16 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Make it a game to never pay list price for anything.

I have a router/WAP here that I bought as "refurbished" direct from Linksys, about half list price IIRC.

I have a "working outdoors" (not fashionable) Cabela down parka that listed for around $400, bought in March a few years ago for $150.

Yesterday I ordered a book from Amazon. "Used, good condition" was about half the price for a new copy. Wherever possible I order from the used book inventory and almost all of them come in like new condition.

On bigger things, CraigsList and Facebook are your friends. A couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of Klipsch "Heritage" speakers for $850; Klipsch is now selling them new for around $3200, a sum which I would never pay. Craigslist and Facebook usually take some patience. I probably spent a couple of months waiting and watching for what I wanted. But it's like hunting --- fun. Prices on eBay are usually high and shipping on bigger items can be a killer, but you can watch there too. Use bid sniping software like EZSniper and never bid until the last 10 seconds of auction.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Make it a game to never pay list price for anything.
Definitely use the internet to your advantage.

Join your local Buy Nothing group on Facebook. We have gotten countless things on there for free that we otherwise would have paid for. It has saved us hundreds. (We've also given away many things in our ongoing effort to clean out our house though that's a separate topic.)

Always check Amazon and ebay before buying most anything. You can very often find the item at a better price. As OldShooter noted, factory refurbished items can be a great savings too. My wife recently bought a refurbed heat press for her sewing endeavors. It was about $300 which is half or less than a new one. But even everyday purchases, like printer paper or ink cartridges or tools or light bulbs or whatever can generally be found for less.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #13

I find putting everything on one credit card is very helpful and easy. Everything other than taxes and utilities are all there in one number.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Assuming you already track your spending in some detail (if not, start there). You might be surprised how much you spend in a year on small but frequent categories, those who don't track aren't likely to realize.

We just periodically review every spending category to see if we see value in what we've spent, especially the big ticket categories - but that's an individual decision we can't make for one another. Big ticket meaning the most $ spent whether it's 1-2 big charges (insurance) or LOTS of little charges (grocery shopping, subscriptions, TV, etc.). Just examples:
  • It may lead to getting new quotes on insurance and saving there.
  • It may lead to looking at what we're buying at the grocery store, and making more conscious choices - store brand vs national, substitutions (raspberries vs bananas), soft drinks vs water/tea, Costco coffee vs Peet's.
  • It leads to revisiting what we pay for TV, mobile, internet at least once a year, and adjusting - we've saved thousands there over the past 4 years.
  • It leads to buying new vs used cars. Or replacing cars every 6-7 years instead of 4-5 years.
  • For us it leads to avoiding subscription services like the plague. It's amazing how $10-15/month for a bunch of different subscriptions adds up to some serious money over a year.
  • When you plan travel and vacation, it's very easy to spend 2X and not get 2x more enjoyment. We don't spend a lot on hotels, because we only sleep there, we're out and about all day - so there is almost zero added value in staying at a waterfront Hilton over a Hampton Inn.
I could go on and on. But we track spending, and revisit every category sooner or later.

Doesn't mean you always choose the cheapest option by any means - I am not advocating that at all. We spend lavishly on a few things because it's worth it to us, and more mindfully on most.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:49 AM   #15

Many, many resources for HOW to budget, save, control spending, etc. But often these disregard the real world of the specific individual's spending habits.
Solely as a starter, here are some practical tips:
1) Add up every current fixed bill you have: e.g., monthly utilities, mortgage payment, insurance, property and other taxes that you manually pay, loans, subscriptions, credit card payments, etc.
2) Add up your total net income.
3) Total net income less fixed payments = your discretionary income.
4) You then have 2 general categories to reduce spending: some of those fixed bills such as subscriptions, and discretionary income.

Pick and choose where you may be able to cut without changing lifestyle such as canceling subscription you no longer need or want, eat out one less time per week or month, or most importantly pay credit card bill in full each month if you're not doing so now.
After this beginning, only then look for more budgeting, saving and spending tips.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:59 PM   #16

It's clear your husband is less enthused about this than you, so start with the things that truly have zero impact on lifestyle. We went through our regular bills and found that we were not getting the best available deals - Internet, TV, auto insurance, alarm system, cell phones, we even had a land line phone line for some reason. Combined, we were throwing away a few thousand per year. Every time we found something, we would multiply it out and discuss the annual savings - that makes it a lot more meaningful. You have to celebrate each little win to try to make winning a habit.

Now I need to get DW interested in Fidelity's 2% cash back credit card.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I am not big into spreadsheets. Had enough during my working life. Stopped doing retirement spreadsheets when I realized we had more than enough to go early. We do not have a budget. We just keep track of our after tax spending so we know how much to draw down over the next several months.

But....we do shop on value and we have always tried to make every dollar count.

We make a practice of reviewing our large annual expenses. We check the numbers, check the competition. Utilities we just locked in for three years-gas and electricity. Insurances we review deductables. We do not switch for a small difference but have when the differences were 10 plus or more.

We have kept our older cars in great shape. Affordability is not the reason for not buying new ones. Happy with what we have and they work just fine. Besides...who wants to absorb so much depreciation? We would rather spend the money on travel.

We do not scrimp on food-especially fresh fruit and vegetables. But we do buy some items in bulk and we pay attention to pricing. We do not care what we paid for toilet paper or peas last year. It has no impact on our purchases this year, or next year. Rather, our focus is on getting the best value, price/quality combo, that we possibly can today.

We travel frequently. We found that that buying last minute air, hotel etc can often be better than locking in months ahead of time. But...we do a fail amount of shoulder season travel. We have been doing this, pre covid, for the last eight years. Usually 4 months of international travel per year over two trips.

I am a big believer in the 80/20 rule. Start with spending 80 percent of your effort monitoring and squeezing as much value as you can on your top 20 percent dollar expenditures.

Last week we took a hard look at our cable/internet/cell costs. There is increased competition where we live. It took all of 20-30 minutes of phone and wait time to get our monthly cost reduced from $181 to 82. It also included an enhanced service level. I think of this in terms of a $100. monthly after tax saving that will extend well past the current year.

A year ago it was home insurance. Dodged a 24 percent increase from our insurer and managed to remain with them. Over time these savings or expense avoidances really add up.
When we first retired we moved to an area with good public transportation. We decided to get rid of one car and felt that if we needed another one for a short period we would rent one. Never needed to rent. Big saving year after year.

All of our calculations, pre and post retirement, were always based on after tax income. We monitor our investments more closely than our spending and we engage professional tax advice from time to time.

We think that it is mostly about common sense and understanding numbers more than any other skill.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:57 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I suggest that your husband read the book Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin. It has been around awhile so your library probably has it. It was a life changer for me about reducing expenses.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I suggest that your husband read the book Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin. It has been around awhile so your library probably has it. It was a life changer for me about reducing expenses.
I like that book, too. Living better for less is my main hobby. We live in a high cost of living area and were able to cut around $40K from annual the budget while improving or maintaining our lifestyle. I also like the Tightwad Gazette books. They really helped to bring down our grocery bills.

I find reading books on happiness research helps. Most of the factors that really make people happy, like social connections, music, art, meditation, mindfulness and expressing gratitude aren't expensive. The happiest person in the world on brain wave studies is actually a Buddhist monk - Is this the world's happiest man? Brain scans reveal French monk found to have 'abnormally large capacity' for joy, and it could be down to meditation | Daily Mail Online

Some specific thing we did to cut expenses without hardship were to make the house energy and water efficient, change where we grocery shop, and find cheap but fun entertainment - seat filler tickets, annual passes, and college events.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Such good info here. In addition to many of the above suggestions, I began using YNAB (You Need a Budget) a year before retirement. Bit of a learning curve, but YNAB continues to be so helpful. I realized that I spent a little too freely! Mindful spending is, for us, a powerful tool. I buy what’s important to me, know where I stand at all times. Check out YNAB’s Webpage and YouTube stuff.
almosttime is offline   Reply With Quote