Join Early Retirement Today

Best use of Roth
Old 06-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Best use of Roth

Hello, I’m just beginning to be intentional about investing for ER. My wife and I currently have close to 60k in retirement assets. She is currently out of work to care for new baby. We’re currently saving close to 20% on a single income.

I feel, however, as if I’m in the cusp of not having enough in my emergency fund and my income would be a stretch to max out a Roth for the year.

I’ve currently filled out 2019 contributions with a portion of our emergency fund in a money market account. Would it be a terrible idea to move another 6k of emergency fund to 2020 Roth while we build up enough cash reserves (1yr worth)?

Afterwards, convert one or both money market funds into our preferred stock mutual fund. Once we have enough on hand cash.

I just want to make sure I’m using all the space given to me.

Thanks
Jammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

I suppose the other option would be, quit worrying. contribute what I can, then revisit at the end of the year.
Jammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recommend fully finding your Roth, if possible, and using it as your emergency fund (or at least a portion of your emergency fund). A great advantage of the Roth is that you can take out principle without penalty. This way, if an emergency never happens you will not have missed any contributions.
oneill225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill225 View Post
I recommend fully finding your Roth, if possible, and using it as your emergency fund (or at least a portion of your emergency fund). A great advantage of the Roth is that you can take out principle without penalty. This way, if an emergency never happens you will not have missed any contributions.
+1. Fully fund the Roth and contributions can be a "Plan C" emergency fund... but if you have no emergency or can satisfy the emergency from other resources then you're ahead.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Do whatever helps you sleep at night.

The pandemic was a gut check for us. We spent the last few years paying down large chunks of student loan debt and saving for retirement and the trade off was a smaller emergency fund.

Before the pandemic hit we were targeting paying off my student loan on 5/1. That was going to be the trigger to allow us to build up our EF. One of the things I was considering doing before COVID was using Roth space for the EF in order to keep the space.

For whatever reason, when the pandemic hit I realized having that money in a Roth vs a taxable money market did not allow me to sleep as well at night as I wanted. It may not be rational, but it was where I was. We have built up our taxable cash and also took out a HELOC. Between cash and HELOC we have probably 2 to 2.5 years of living expenses now. We will now use Roth as our 3rd layer of EF.

My point is to find what helps you sleep at night. If you can sleep at night using Roth as your EF then you should do it. Using Roth now, and then having that space available to invest later when you reach the level of EF you want in taxable is a great place to be.

Personally I like the layered approach as it helps me view my money in buckets, almost like a wall around a castle. But that's what helps me sleep at night. It may not help you sleep at night.
Klubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klubbie View Post
Do whatever helps you sleep at night.

The pandemic was a gut check for us. We spent the last few years paying down large chunks of student loan debt and saving for retirement and the trade off was a smaller emergency fund.

Before the pandemic hit we were targeting paying off my student loan on 5/1. That was going to be the trigger to allow us to build up our EF. One of the things I was considering doing before COVID was using Roth space for the EF in order to keep the space.

For whatever reason, when the pandemic hit I realized having that money in a Roth vs a taxable money market did not allow me to sleep as well at night as I wanted. It may not be rational, but it was where I was. We have built up our taxable cash and also took out a HELOC. Between cash and HELOC we have probably 2 to 2.5 years of living expenses now. We will now use Roth as our 3rd layer of EF.

My point is to find what helps you sleep at night. If you can sleep at night using Roth as your EF then you should do it. Using Roth now, and then having that space available to invest later when you reach the level of EF you want in taxable is a great place to be.

Personally I like the layered approach as it helps me view my money in buckets, almost like a wall around a castle. But that's what helps me sleep at night. It may not help you sleep at night.
There is no penalty for withdrawal of principle (your contributions) in a Roth IRA. If you do not make a contribution then that opportunity is gone forever while sitting in a taxable account. Maximize your options while losing nothing with the Roth. Sleep well.
oneill225 is offline   Reply With Quote