Join Early Retirement Today

Best way to find exact car
Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best way to find exact car

We are planning to buy a new car (2011 Chrysler Town & Country). The last several cars that we bought we compromised on things we really wanted due to availability. This car we expect to have for at least 10 years. We want to get the features that we want and the color that we want. In the past, color was always the first feature to go. This time, I don't want to do that.

I've searched inventory as best I can within a few hundred miles of here and there is no vehicle that meets the specific features we want.

The last time I bought a car I priced it at Edmunds then they sent that information to some dealers who contacted us and we ended up buying one that was available wasn't exactly what we wanted. They could get vehicles from other dealers but apparently only within a specific area.

If you know that you want a specific set of features (including color) and you know that it isn't that common (the 2011 T&C just came out in January so there aren't tons of them out there) what is the best way to find the exact car and buy it for a reasonable price?
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I used to work for a car company. I would just order the car and have it built to my exact spec. I didn't have to dicker on the price, but I don't see why that should keep you from ordering it, after you agree on a price.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I used to work for a car company. I would just order the car and have it built to my exact spec. I didn't have to dicker on the price, but I don't see why that should keep you from ordering it, after you agree on a price.
+1

A co-worker of mine ordered a new Audi straight from the company(thru the dealer) with the exact features(including color) that he wanted.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I've never done that. How long does it take to get the car? Do you have to pay MSRP to do that or can you still negotiate a price with the dealer?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #5

I've done that twice. Coming back to the USA after overseas assignments, I ordered the exact car I wanted from the factory, and took delivery at a local dealer when I got back to the states.

I particularly liked the option to specify the final drive axle ratio, so I could get the one that gave me the best gas mileage.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I've never done that. How long does it take to get the car? Do you have to pay MSRP to do that or can you still negotiate a price with the dealer?
Sorry, don't know the details. I just know it can be done.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #7

IIRC, it all depends on the auto maker, but it was a few months each time for me.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

You could also just email several dealers with your specs, agree on a price and tell them to let you know when they get one that matches your specs and price.

When I looked at the the TrueCar pricing that showed what people were paying for caes, there wasn't a huge delta between the 'average price' and a 'great price' (maybe $400 on a $25,000 vehicle?). So I don't think you will need to pay any large premium for them to do a little work to match a car to you so you get what you want. It might take time though.

I also question those TrueCar prices - are the people who got a 'great price' also the ones who agreed to a bunch of puffed-up dealer add-ons (paint protection, rust proofing, etc), so the dealer gives them a 'great price' on the car, but makes it up on the after-market stuff? That is not reported in those prices.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For Japanese cars that may work. But for American cars with long lists of options, the exact car just may not exist.

Just for fun lets say there are 40 different options on a car including color and various packages. The number of permutations of the options is an astronomically large number. therefore finding the exact car may be a challenge. Especially if you move away from popular option choices.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yep, order the car, but do not act as if they are doing a special favor or you will pay too much. As in,

"Well, I'd buy that car, but you gotta lower the price a few thousand and convince me to get a color I don't want."

"OK, you lowered the price, but I still hate the color. Maybe if you lowered the price some more, I would start to love the color."

"Thanks for lowering the price, but that color makes me puke. Can I just order the car in my color with ABS, side-impact airbags, etc and pay the same price? I can? Thanks, it's a deal."

Then when the minivan comes, "I didn't order pin-striping nor the rear spoiler. Who ever heard of a rear spoiler on a minivan? I'm not paying for those options. In fact, you will never sell this minivan with those options to anyone, but if you lower the price another few thousand, I'd be happy to take it off your hands."

You might send a pm to cardude since I think he owned a chrysler dealership at one time.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We ordered our Dodge Grand Caravan through the dealer. It is the Dodge version of Town and Country with a higher roof. We went to Edmunds and picked the options we wanted including the color. We also recorded the model numbers. We paid $500 over invoice (this was in 2005, I bet you could a better deal). They tried to sell us what was on the lot first but we didn't want leather seats or a rear seat DVD player or Satellite radio. These days, I would email each dealer (from a special account) with the information and then see who has the best price. We waited six weeks and then went to the dealer and picked it up.

Also, we got all the cash back and the like. We took out a $5000 loan to get $1000 back.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #12

I did this a long time ago on a Chevy Malibu. No problem, 4-6 week wait. Notice that it's easier to compare prices between dealers since you are buying exactly the same car regardless of which dealer you work with. Also, note that the dealer doesn't have to pay financing on cars that are sold the day they're delivered. If you're ordering an unusual combination of options, the dealer may be a little concerned you won't pick it up and will leave him hanging with an unusual car.

I hope CarDude shows up and gives us the dealer's perspective.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #13

I've ordered cars from the local dealer several times with no problem at all. Tell them exactly what you want then come to an agreement on the price. The longest I've waited for the car to be delivered is about 7 weeks.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
gone traveling

The last car I purchased was not available in the colors/options that I wanted (Mustang GT convertible).

At the time, there was a manufacturer’s promotion with a $2k discount from the factory.

I ordered the car (from the factory) with the understanding that if the promotion was not on by the time I received the car, the discount would not apply. The dealer could not guarantee the discount, since they were not the ones who sponsored it.

Since I ordered the car in March (after the new models had come out and the initial "fills" were done), they had some open production slots and my car was moved into one of those. Where I was looking at a 6-8 week delivery, it really came out to four weeks.

I got the car, the color, the options, and the manufacture discount.

Just my story...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This car we expect to have for at least 10 years. We want to get the features that we want and the color that we want. In the past, color was always the first feature to go. This time, I don't want to do that.
If I was emotionally invested in a car then I'd feel really bad if something happened to it-- especially if it was due to my driver error.

Looking down the road, how would you feel if you got the car of your exact specs and then it got dinged or scratched on the way home? Would it still have been worth the extra time & effort to get precisely what you wanted?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

A lot of credit unions offer car buying services. I've never tried it, but think it's worth looking into. Here's the link for Pentagon Federal's car buying service:

PenFed | Car Buying Home Page
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

In the past I've been the car negotiator in our family and usually end up doing really well. I've always been willing to give up color and stuff like that. So I usually end up with a really good price but never get the exact car that I want.

For the specific model we are looking at there are actually not that many options. I've found some that are close to what I want but usually one will lack one of the options that I want. If I was willing to give up color I could find the features I wanted in the more common colors...which I detest. The last 2 cars we bought I ended up with colors that weren't my first or even second choice. For once in my life I want to actually get what I want.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Looking down the road, how would you feel if you got the car of your exact specs and then it got dinged or scratched on the way home? Would it still have been worth the extra time & effort to get precisely what you wanted?
Sure.

I always hate the first ding or scratch on a car...even the ones that weren't exactly what I wanted. But realistically it will happen with any car.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #19

Quote:
You can do this without compromising the total price you want to pay. Only the dealer can tell you how long it will take for delivery of the car. For the dealer, they have a confirmed sale, and you get what you want at the price you want.

I'd suggest contacting at least 2 different Chrysler dealers to discuss what they can do for you.

-- Rita
Old 02-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

My Toyota Solara I ordered from the dealer with the exact things I wanted on it after I had negotiated the price . They found the exact car but it had an upgraded stereo system which they included at the agreed upon price . My Honda CRV the options were easy as Honda does not have a lot of choices but the color was harder . I finally found one about 40 miles away . Color is something I do not compromise on . If I dislike the color I will dislike the car . One dealer offered to find the car and have it shipped to the dealership but by then I had already found the one I bought .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote