Join Early Retirement Today

Best way to get paid by an out-of-state buyer
Old 03-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Best way to get paid by an out-of-state buyer

I may have a buyer for my RV (with eyes on a bigger one down the road). He will be driving in from Michigan to close the deal.

With all the warnings from Craigs List, Ebay etc. against taking money orders, cashier checks, etc. what is the best way to have him pay me for this? It's too expensive to expect cash (~$20k). And he will be driving off with it the same day, so I can't wait for a check to clear.

I do have a Paypal account but not sure that does the trick.

Any ideas to protect everyone's interests?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd go for a certified bank check, then call the originating bank to verify authenticity. (check#, routing number, amount, signature) Verify bank's tel# via 411 or other independent means, like internet to bank's website.

Edit add: Do it before handing over title.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cash?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 for certified check -- either that or cash when I sell a high dollar item (auto or boat).
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #5

Paypal takes 4% ... that's a big number in 20k.

Cash is king (20k is not THAT big a pile of 100's).

If he wants to steal it he'll have a good looking "bank" check. Need to call the bank to verify funds. And don't use a phone number he provides.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rich, I went through something similar a couple of years ago when I sold a boat to an out-of-town buyer. What ls99 advised above was the best I could come up with as well.

One additional level of security is to note very carefully the security features (anti-tampering/anti-fraud) on the check itself. The document should tell you what to look for - microprint signature line, watermarks, special inks, etc.

Buying that 45', 600HP diesel pusher, eh?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

So the buyer called and told me that I'll get a certified check from their credit union. I'll have my DW sneak off while we are doing the inspection to authenticate the check with the credit union and assure the phone number is publicly accurate.

How to I check out the security features of the check?

I guess transactions like this are always dicey, but so far it all sounds legit.

I'll probably wait til after the summer hurricane season to buy the replacement. But I did spend an hour at LazyDays this morning.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

How to I check out the security features of the check?
The check should have instructions printed on it (front and/or back) telling you what security features to look for. The most common are watermarks, security thread, color-shifting ink, and microprint signature lines (the ____________ line for the signature is actually a tiny printed message, visible with a magnifying glass - very, very difficult to reproduce on a copy machine).
Old 03-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:

I'll probably wait til after the summer hurricane season to buy the replacement. But I did spend an hour at LazyDays this morning.
You won't make it past May...
Old 03-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #10

Ditto on remarks from REWahoo & IS99--also suggest you be sure your transaction is happening when the issueing bank is sure to be open. I recently sold both my old
Class A and PU and found it was easier when you call the bank branch that issued and specifically requested the manager to confirm the check number, date, etc.
I also took the added caution of getting info from buyer's driver license.
Just letting buyer know you will require the above will likely assure you of a clean transaction.
Don't forget to send notice of sale to your state licensing bureau--don't want to get notice of collection on the traffic ticket your buyer gets on the way home. :-)

NWsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
I also took the added caution of getting info from buyer's driver license.NWsteve
Excellent Idea-I didn't think of driver's license. I wondered if you could record his fingerprint off the check! (I'm beyond paranoid)
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You won't make it past May...
In case you hadn't noticed, I can be very patient.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #13

Quote:
In case you hadn't noticed, I can be very patient.
I'm surprised you didn't say "just one more year".

You'll buy within the next 60 days and "forget" to post mention of it until Oct...
Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #14

Hey, leave Rich alone, he's busy at work and doesn't always have the time to post his new purchases.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #15

If I work just one more year I can get a bigger RV...

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I'd go for a certified bank check, then call the originating bank to verify authenticity. (check#, routing number, amount, signature) Verify bank's tel# via 411 or other independent means, like internet to bank's website.

Edit add: Do it before handing over title.
In addition to this excellent advice, you might ask for check details in advance - check number and credit union info. A fax copy would be great. You can call ahead of time to verify, speak with a manager and take note of name and such.

If I were the buyer I would not object to this - although I would find it awkward if they tried to do it on the sly.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #17

To get back to the original topic, why not a wire transfer?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by various misfits
I'm surprised you didn't say "just one more year".

You'll buy within the next 60 days and "forget" to post mention of it until Oct..

If I work just one more year I can get a bigger RV...
What you dolts obviously don't realize is that in 2012 RVs will be getting 10 mpg. Waiting a mere 3 years will probably be the the right play.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #19

Quote:
What you dolts obviously don't realize is that in 2012 RVs will be getting 10 mpg. Waiting a mere 3 years will probably be the the right play.
Wait 3 years? Based on your track record you'll have upgraded twice by then.

Hey, I'm not knocking it - you always buy new and heaven knows the RV manufacturers need the business.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Safe funds

Rich, Why not call a large bank and ask the manager how to safely make this sale.I did a pretty complicated deal on e-bay with a check by a person in one state and delivered the item to another state. My bank suggested to take the check, but to wait on shipping the item for 7 to 10 days to make sure that the certified check was indeed good. They said that even those can be bad.Be careful as my friends brother, who I thought was pretty smart, got taken for some high end electronics from two different crooks. What kind and size RV are you looking at? Good luck with the sale, Jerry
CRABBY JERRY is offline   Reply With Quote