Better inflation hedge: TIPs or Wellesley?

REWahoo! said:
So, what's the morale moral of this story?

That God isnt any smarter than Wab. Which is rather unintuitive. ;)

Also, that dyslexic atheists believe that there is no doG.

Are you guys still squabbling about this nonsense?!

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
God, you second rate deity.
REWahoo! said:
So, what's the morale moral of this story?
Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
That God isnt any smarter than Wab. Which is rather unintuitive. ;)
And that neither God nor Wab can figure out how to hide their IP address...

Instant message me when you all reach consensus - I'm plunking the stash in a sock till then. Socks i understand, even if my investment in socks tends to dissapear. Stocks and bongs, not so much.

Socks are O.K. but balloons are a better inflation hedge.

Just plot the last 10 years of returns on balloons vs. socks and even an idiot could see the difference.

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, but....
does anyone have/think about deflation hedging? Long bonds and cash come to mind. We don't have any long bonds and usually think of our cash as a reserve for portfolio withdrawals during "bad" markets. We have some Vanguard Asset Allocation fund which can hold long term treasuries, so maybe that counts (assuming the managers have the foresight to go long bonds appropriately!).

WilliamG said:
Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, but....
does anyone have/think about deflation hedging? Long bonds and cash come to mind.

I don't bother to do deflation hedging. I think the US has proven since WW2 that given a modern large government presence in the economy and plenty of political will which we have in spades deflation is just not going to happen. They don't call Mr. Bernanke Helicopter Ben for nothing!

But if you want to hedge, long term straight treasuries are the way to go. Cash is better than many things, but S. T. interest rates can fall very low- though given enough deflation, still positive on a real basis. You would want to to stay away from anything other than US govt debt to hedge against US deflation.

Ha

HaHa said:
But if you want to hedge, long term straight treasuries are the way to go.

Yup. a 30 year US treasury is the gold standard for deflation hedging.

best deflation hedge 30 year zero coupon treasuries. they rise or fall about 30% with every 1 point change in rates

Back
Top Bottom