Join Early Retirement Today

Beware of Paying Your Mortgage Early
Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Beware of Paying Your Mortgage Early

This was going on in August but I missed it:

An elderly couple in Florida got a loan modification for the mortgage on their home. They sent their first check in on December 23 2010---but the payment was due in January, so the bank was upset with the early payment (?). Then---reading different accounts---there either wasn't a signature on the February payment because it was electronic or she wrote the wrong routing number on the check----so the bank moved to foreclose.

Supposedly it's been straightened out and the bank is even paying for the couple's legal fees, but definitely not a case where the early bird gets the worm!

Bank of America Moves to Foreclose on Florida Couple For Paying Mortgage Early - ABC News

Makes me want to join those young people protesting Wall Street....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
gone traveling

A note/mortgage at age 70/78?

"the couple owes about $177,000 on their 1,591-square-foot New Port Richey home"

What the H*** were they thinking? Give me a break...

"Makes me want to join those young people protesting Wall Street...."

Uh, you think those "unwashed masses" really have anything to protest other than to look for a handout (not to be political - really, but I was present during the protests in Gothenberg, Sweden back in 2001 and all I saw was young folk who didn't have a clue, and tore up paving stones to smash windows of private business owners for a demonstration that had no result).
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
An elderly couple in Florida got a loan modification for the mortgage on their home. They sent their first check in on December 23 2010---but the payment was due in January, so the bank was upset with the early payment (?). Then---reading different accounts---there either wasn't a signature on the February payment because it was electronic or she wrote the wrong routing number on the check----so the bank moved to foreclose.

Supposedly it's been straightened out and the bank is even paying for the couple's legal fees, but definitely not a case where the early bird gets the worm!

Bank of America Moves to Foreclose on Florida Couple For Paying Mortgage Early - ABC News
What? Oh, it's just Bank of America again. Damn fine customer service there. Really on top of things.

Paid it off? Paid cash? No problem! We're foreclosing on you!
Bank Of America To Pay Florida Couple In Mistaken Foreclosure Case | Fox News
Bank of America forecloses on house that couple had paid cash for - St. Petersburg Times

In fact, you don't even need to have a mortgage with them, and they'll still be happy to foreclose your property!
Lauderdale man's home sold out from under him in foreclosure mistake - Sun Sentinel
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmm odd that all these cases referenced are in Florida.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Uh, you think those "unwashed masses" really have anything to protest other than to look for a handout
Yes.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I hadn't noticed that, DM--but yeah. Probably just a coincidence---I'm sure BOA is just as incompetent/corrupt in the other 49 states!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Yes.
+1 Uh oh, getting political
Old 10-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Well, they did have that specially enabled foreclosure process where they hired retired judges to reduce the backlog of foreclosure cases
Quote:
The Florida Bar News, Belvin Perry Jr., chief judge for the state’s Ninth Judicial Circuit, said that during July (2010), 1,319 cases had been closed by three senior judges in the district’s two counties, Orange and Osceola.
That's 20 cases a day for 22 days per judge. Figuring breaks and such, a case each 15 minutes.

They were aided by the largest foreclosure firm in Florida, run by David J. Stern. That is, until his firm went bust after his employees attested that they forged signatures and did not check the documents.

Four bad foreclosures in Florida is not a surprise, it's a miracle. That is, a miracle there weren't thousands more.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

"the couple owes about $177,000 on their 1,591-square-foot New Port Richey home"

My parents-in-law took out a 30-year mortgage on their retirement condo a few years ago in their 70s.

Both of our mortgages will be paid off when I'm 79 years old...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Uh, you think those "unwashed masses" really have anything to protest other than to look for a handout .
Sure. Lack of "poon," beer running out, not enough doobage, etc.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Guess I should head up to Wall Street to join in. I'm certainly qualified. Except for the unwashed part, of course.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yep
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

"Makes me want to join those young people protesting Wall Street...."
Why make assumptions about others?

If you're cash poor but have a good pension, it makes sense to me.

Pretty sure my 76/74 yr old neighbors have a mortgage, recalling some conversation about a property appraisal a few years back. They do have cash, but I'm sure they have nice pensions too as he was a Fortune 500 VP.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:

Sounds like another Ric Edelman client!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It looks like these people were doing ok and the husband had medical problems late in life. Based on the informration in the article, the husband retired from GM around age 63 (or so). GM probably provided some sort of pension... or his union probably did.

Since the house was worth $177k and now is worth $130k (big drop in value)... that might mean they bought that house in the last several years (bad timing to buy a new home) or saw they equity go up and decided to refi for the cash (e.g., needed more extra money or some reason). Who knows. It says the husband is bed-ridden. The money might have been used to pay for medical expenses. Maybe their house had hurricane damage that the insurance company would not cover... it could be anything.

Medical costs have ruined many people financially. Sometimes because they did not have good information or knowledge and made poor choices during their crisis.

The "Bank was almost a bad guy" is not the real story (IMO)... but there may be some real lessons in this story for people... if we knew the rest of the story! This article's conclusion is: don't assume you made the mistake (related to mortgage issues with the bank). The real lesson is about not getting caught up in a problem like this in retirement!!!

Be careful cashing out the house at an advanced age and holding a mortgage... especially if one has [not] done some pretty solid risk planning (e.g., LTC, emergencies, etc) Why? Because the house is often a shielded asset if one owns it. In many states, one spouse can keep modest home if the other spouse requires Medicaid assistance (need to check the individual states rules). Even in some of the more strict states, the spouse of a Medicaid recipient and keep a certain amount of income (usually a low amount), a small amount of cash, and the home. Some state have more lenient rules and allow the spouse to keep more.

Risk planning is critical but few do it. IMO - the less financial cushion people have to absorb personal financial shocks (self insure), the more important it is to use insurance to mitigate the financial impact of an adverse event. For LTC, since Medicaid exists, even if one cannot afford a personal LTCi policy... they still need to develop a plan of action(s). Sometimes knowing what [not] to do is as important as what to do! Plus, one does not want to try to figure something like that out in the middle of a crisis...
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
This is an outrage!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
A loan modification isn't a guaranteed right. The bank can agree to offer it. The bank can refuse to offer it. In this case the bank first offered it, then withdrew the offer. If the borrowers stuck to the original terms of the mortgage, which the bank is legally entitled to insist on, paying early would not have mattered.

It sounds like the bank would be better off not offering the loan modification. No good deed goes unpunished? I don't know why one should blame the bank for not giving something it's not obligated to offer in the first place. You give an inch ...
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
A loan modification isn't a guaranteed right. The bank can agree to offer it. The bank can refuse to offer it. In this case the bank first offered it, then withdrew the offer. If the borrowers stuck to the original terms of the mortgage, which the bank is legally entitled to insist on, paying early would not have mattered.
Eh? Are you posting to the wrong thread?
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Eh? Are you posting to the wrong thread?
Why? Quoting from the OP again:

"An elderly couple in Florida got a loan modification for the mortgage on their home. They sent their first check in ..."
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #20

Finance Buff, I'm not understanding why you think the bank can withdraw the offer. I agree that modification is something they don't have to offer---but once they do, isn't it legally binding?