Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
But she had to crawl through a lot of others to find him, and was grateful for DW and I being available to give her a "reality check" through the process.
As one sister put it "Before you find your Prince Charming you have to kiss a lot of toads."

Of course that works the other way too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
An engineer co-worker of mine almost got taken by this. She met a guy on JDate who claimed to be an engineer on an offshore oil rig (how convenient!). They'd corresponded for a week or so when she started showing me some of the messages and photos he'd sent and telling me she was falling in love with him. It seemed very suspicious to me, but she was so lit up that I said nothing at the time. She's a very intelligent, independent woman, but also vulnerable in the area of romance, possibly because her strong personality traits make it hard for her to maintain relationships. I was hoping for the best for her, but it wasn't much later that he started asking if she'd mind buying a birthday present for his daughter. You see, he'd been approved to work on a top-secret project and so had to have all his credit cards and other accounts temporarily cancelled to help conceal his identity during the job. He kept pressing her about the gift, finally arousing her suspicion. She did some online sluething and was actually able to find the guy's photo under a different name. It was sad to see her realize what was happening.
My friend had this exact scenario happen to her. I wonder if it was the same guy - it was the same story with the oil rig and working a top secret project.. Luckily she didn’t send him any money but he was such so charismatic and seemingly honest and caring for about a month before any mention of money came up.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
My friend had this exact scenario happen to her. I wonder if it was the same guy - it was the same story with the oil rig and working a top secret project.. Luckily she didn’t send him any money but he was such so charismatic and seemingly honest and caring for about a month before any mention of money came up.
Apparently, it's a popular cover for rom conners. A quick search shows that they've earned their own web page on many sites warning about scams:

https://lovescammers.com/types-of-ro...s/oil-rig-scam

Quote:
Oil rig workers serve as a better cover as these people spend the majority of their time offshore, with no access to money or ATMs. Therefore, it is easier for scammers to ask for money under the guise of such professionals.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
.... for about a month before any mention of money came up.
"Softly, softly, catchee monkey"......or whatever other prey you're after.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
That was a bit over the top!
Actually credit cards for under a false name would make for a great cover. And not all that tough to do.

Lately I get a lot of rental requests for my AirBnB where their company is paying so will send a certified check. All a scam, since when don’t companies pay with a credit card? I probably get 1-2 scam/Phising emails every day from people looking to separate me from my money. Beware!

That being said I did remarry just last year to a woman who approached me via the internet and we are buying a house together although it is all my money. Of course we have been together for 10 years now and dated 30 years ago. What can I say? I like to take things slow!
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a female middle aged divorced friend. She tells me she gets catfished via online dating sites on a regular basis. As a public service, she’ll engage in text/conversations with these scammers for long periods to keep them too busy to follow up with more naive targets. She’s shown me some of the text threads. They’re hilarious!

Tags
rom con