Big-Spending Boomers

Mid-boomer (1954)

Wasn't sure which fashion item to pick; denim and tees, no selections for miniskirts, bell bottoms, etc. Evert or Mantle? Star Trek or Flintstones? Simon and Garfunkle fit my teens, no one else did. The pill and the space race were both 1960s.

Slight tweaks resulted in answers from 1948 to 1962, which pretty much covers the entire Boomer gen...

The quiz got my exact birth year. I'm impressed.

Slight tweaks resulted in answers from 1948 to 1962, which pretty much covers the entire Boomer gen...

Right - I'd guess that about 1 in 10 people will be impressed by getting their exact birth year. Not too hard to narrow someone down to a decade with a few questions. Chance will get some exactly.

Like Nords, I didn't notice the mouse-over text at first. It's not like I can really tell that a burning building is the Watts riots (which I do remember being televised on the news).

-ERD50

I'm, right in your range, and I am sports agnostic, so I thought that would trip me up. Wasn't Cassius Clay world known, even to sports agnostics? That was who I clicked, I'm pretty sure the others were earlier/later than that. But my Dad was a boxing fan, so I might have picked up a bit by osmosis. I could see an English boy not getting Sandy Koufax, or Mickey Mantle, but Cassius Clay?

A middle-eastern friend of mine (maybe 10 years younger than me) told me that he knew of him growing up. But I guess nobody uses 'Mohamed' as a first name, so they always thought he changed his name to "Ali Mohamed". Which sounded strange to my ears.

-ERD50

I don't remember seeing him when I did the test. I just looked again and he still isn't on the big name athlete's growing up, but this time Chris Evett and Martina Navratilova are. The quiz must be a random selection each time you take it as a lot of the choices are different the 2nd time I took it.

PS - 2nd time around, differfent options and answers and it got me at 1954, so the average of 1955 is exactly right

Last edited:
PS - 2nd time around, differfent options and answers and it got me at 1954, so the average of 1955 is exactly right

Ahhh - I see. Yes, certainly they could have put up any number of sports figures from my time that I would not have recognized. But Cassius/Mohamed has appeared in high profile in the past decade, so that one sticks with me.

Oh, that reminds me of a story I don't think I've told here. My Uncle happened to run into him as part of the job he had at the time (he met lots of random people in that job, and the famous people were not always "on" at that exact moment). This was after he retired from boxing, and my Uncle asked for his autograph. Cassius/Ali accommodated him, and my Uncle said he scrawled it out just terribly, as if he was illiterate. I've always wondered if that was just the early stage of Parkinson's, this was many years (a decade?) before that was public. Sad.

-ERD50

WOW. It says I was born in 1979, and I was.

Wasn't sure which fashion item to pick; denim and tees, no selections for miniskirts, bell bottoms, etc. Evert or Mantle? Star Trek or Flintstones? Simon and Garfunkle fit my teens, no one else did. The pill and the space race were both 1960s.
Some of the questions were like that. When it asked what was the new technology when I was a teenager, there was nothing in between the calculator (early 1970s) and the World Wide Web (about 1990ish) that I can see -- but those were at least 15 years apart and maybe closer to 20. Since the Web didn't exist when I was a teenager, I had to pick the calculator, even though we had calculators before I was 10.

Probably the closest thing for me would have been a personal computer (late 1970s/early 1980s) but I didn't see that one unless it was my oversight.

Mid-boomer (1954)

When I took the test the 2nd time around, the only fashion item I could associate with were bell bottoms, so the quiz varies its choices each time you take it.

Missed me by one year. Said 1962 but I was born in 1961.

Quiz made me 2 years older than I am. Maybe because I started high school when I was 12, so always identified with a slightly older group.

Amethyst

I have taken this darn test five times and it thinks I was born 10-20 years prior to my birth year (1970 - the closest it got was 1963!) What are those GenXer programmers thinking??

Finally got it to spit out 1969! Changed PC to AOL (wrong - I was in the USN when AOL came out) and Operation to Transformers (which the little kids probably played with when I was well past the toy point)

Last edited:
Probably the closest thing for me would have been a personal computer (late 1970s/early 1980s) but I didn't see that one unless it was my oversight.

PC was the keyboard looking thingy!

Fun quiz! It came back with 1953, actual is 1954, I'd call that dead on...

I struggled through the quiz since I wasn't born or raised here, but I think I guessed correctly! It missed my age by just one year!
Hmm... Lots of immigrants here!

I am one, in case anyone misses my earlier posts.

Took the test anyway. It said 1950, which was 6 years before my time. Dang! No wonder I have always felt older than my age.

I think SS should be paid according to how old people feel. Upbeat people like some on this forum should be given SS later because the optimists live longer. It's only fair.

Made me 9 years older than I am.
Not even close.
Maybe because I had an older brother & lots of cousins (male/female) that kept me in tune with what was happening before my (teenage) time. Had to learn fast or get left behind.
Steve

I took the quiz twice. First time had me at 1948. 2nd time 1957. I was born in 1955.

DW result was 1964 and she was born in 1958.

We need to watch our pocketbooks even more diligently -- the "Marketers" have discovered us.
Big-spending Boomers bend rules of marketing
Getting away from the quiz for a post or two, what big-spending Boomers are we talking about? Are these the Boomers who've said they'll work until they die because they love their jobs, or are these the Boomers who've said they'll work until they die because they haven't saved anything for retirement?

Or are these the Boomers who have been laid off and haven't saved anything for retirement?

It seems that one group has no time to enjoy their toys and the others have no money to enjoy their toys...

It nailed my birth year to within 3 months of my actual birth date.

Back
Top Bottom