Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Uh, if you mouse over them a pop-up will tell you who/what the are...
Oh.

Boy, the metatext has a noticeable lag to it. I must've been too twitchy to give it a chance.

Turns out I just don't know sports. I changed Steve Young (Who? Oh yeah. I think.) to Bo Jackson... which is probably still wrong if I looked up their careers. But I was pretty sure it wasn't Knute Rockne.

1963. One year closer.

Maybe your spouse was a really really early reader, and her memories have been skewed by all those newspapers & history books she used to go through.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The test thought I was born in 1930 -- actually, it was 1942. Not very close.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #23
gone traveling

1950 computed vs. 1948 actual.

I'm sure the difference was due to my selection in movies. Since I did not attend any movies till I was out (on my own) at age 19, the only one's I did see were those that were on the TV, several years later.

(Don't ask - I had a strange childhood-teenage years)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #24

The quiz was three years off for me.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quiz put me as 22 years older than I am. Now I finally have a justification for being a grumpy old man
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For me.... spot on....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Mid-boomer (1954)

Wasn't sure which fashion item to pick; denim and tees, no selections for miniskirts, bell bottoms, etc. Evert or Mantle? Star Trek or Flintstones? Simon and Garfunkle fit my teens, no one else did. The pill and the space race were both 1960s.

Slight tweaks resulted in answers from 1948 to 1962, which pretty much covers the entire Boomer gen...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
The quiz got my exact birth year. I'm impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Slight tweaks resulted in answers from 1948 to 1962, which pretty much covers the entire Boomer gen...
Right - I'd guess that about 1 in 10 people will be impressed by getting their exact birth year. Not too hard to narrow someone down to a decade with a few questions. Chance will get some exactly.

Like Nords, I didn't notice the mouse-over text at first. It's not like I can really tell that a burning building is the Watts riots (which I do remember being televised on the news).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm, right in your range, and I am sports agnostic, so I thought that would trip me up. Wasn't Cassius Clay world known, even to sports agnostics? That was who I clicked, I'm pretty sure the others were earlier/later than that. But my Dad was a boxing fan, so I might have picked up a bit by osmosis. I could see an English boy not getting Sandy Koufax, or Mickey Mantle, but Cassius Clay?

A middle-eastern friend of mine (maybe 10 years younger than me) told me that he knew of him growing up. But I guess nobody uses 'Mohamed' as a first name, so they always thought he changed his name to "Ali Mohamed". Which sounded strange to my ears.

-ERD50
I don't remember seeing him when I did the test. I just looked again and he still isn't on the big name athlete's growing up, but this time Chris Evett and Martina Navratilova are. The quiz must be a random selection each time you take it as a lot of the choices are different the 2nd time I took it.

PS - 2nd time around, differfent options and answers and it got me at 1954, so the average of 1955 is exactly right
Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

It had me as born in 1946 and was 14 years off.

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Evidently some of you have very old souls...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
PS - 2nd time around, differfent options and answers and it got me at 1954, so the average of 1955 is exactly right
Ahhh - I see. Yes, certainly they could have put up any number of sports figures from my time that I would not have recognized. But Cassius/Mohamed has appeared in high profile in the past decade, so that one sticks with me.

Oh, that reminds me of a story I don't think I've told here. My Uncle happened to run into him as part of the job he had at the time (he met lots of random people in that job, and the famous people were not always "on" at that exact moment). This was after he retired from boxing, and my Uncle asked for his autograph. Cassius/Ali accommodated him, and my Uncle said he scrawled it out just terribly, as if he was illiterate. I've always wondered if that was just the early stage of Parkinson's, this was many years (a decade?) before that was public. Sad.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

WOW. It says I was born in 1979, and I was.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wasn't sure which fashion item to pick; denim and tees, no selections for miniskirts, bell bottoms, etc. Evert or Mantle? Star Trek or Flintstones? Simon and Garfunkle fit my teens, no one else did. The pill and the space race were both 1960s.
Some of the questions were like that. When it asked what was the new technology when I was a teenager, there was nothing in between the calculator (early 1970s) and the World Wide Web (about 1990ish) that I can see -- but those were at least 15 years apart and maybe closer to 20. Since the Web didn't exist when I was a teenager, I had to pick the calculator, even though we had calculators before I was 10.

Probably the closest thing for me would have been a personal computer (late 1970s/early 1980s) but I didn't see that one unless it was my oversight.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Mid-boomer (1954)

When I took the test the 2nd time around, the only fashion item I could associate with were bell bottoms, so the quiz varies its choices each time you take it.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #36

Missed me by one year. Said 1962 but I was born in 1961.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Not even close! Missed me by a whopping 6 weeks.
kypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quiz made me 2 years older than I am. Maybe because I started high school when I was 12, so always identified with a slightly older group.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #39

I have taken this darn test five times and it thinks I was born 10-20 years prior to my birth year (1970 - the closest it got was 1963!) What are those GenXer programmers thinking??

Finally got it to spit out 1969! Changed PC to AOL (wrong - I was in the USN when AOL came out) and Operation to Transformers (which the little kids probably played with when I was well past the toy point)
Old 11-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Probably the closest thing for me would have been a personal computer (late 1970s/early 1980s) but I didn't see that one unless it was my oversight.
PC was the keyboard looking thingy!