Biggest Worry

the US being taken over by another country and having to live under a dramatically different regime.

Hopefully this will help - the US may be the least likely country on the planet to be taken over by another country. Ignoring our massive military for a moment, we only have 2, much smaller countries (financially, population wise) that border us (and those two countries have no or very small # of countries that border them), the major world powers are an ocean + thousands of miles away, the amount of troops and $ to secure the land in the US would be absolutely mindboggling and we have the most armed citizenry in the world to resist. Plus, most of those countries love selling products to US consumers in the current arrangement.

Yes, we can be destroyed by atomic weapons, but I recall doubting the premise, for instnace, of Red Dawn and other such stories or suggestions of take-over (from the outside.) Even with the ridiculous premise of Red Dawn (that a surrogate country could invade the heartland following a limited nuclear engagement) I did buy the fact that folks would defend themselves - and have the means to do so. No country has more guns in private hands than the USA. YMMV

I remember the hide under your desk drills in elementary school and some buildings had the Civil Defense bomb shelter signs on the front door.

I knew a guy that had been on the CD (board or group or whatever) toward the end of its existence as we knew it. Anything you see now deals with storms, earth-quakes, tsunamis, etc. He said that to deal with atomic war, the CD provision was to stock-pile morphine. YMMV

I'd love to see an adversary's defense ministry's plan, for I'm sure they have such plans, to deal with the rather well-known fact of widespread American gun ownership.

No country has more guns in private hands than the USA. YMMV

I'd love to see an adversary's defense ministry's plan, for I'm sure they have such plans, to deal with the rather well-known fact of widespread American gun ownership.
Any overthrow will come from within, fueled by internet disinformation. A Manchurian candidate. And those guns will be pointed at one another.

I just bought another one today. A Winchester SXP Marine Defender in case of pirates, meth heads, zombies or trouble makers in general.

Cost less than the bilge pump and the switch - :)

How's that "plan" working out in Ukraine? :LOL:

I just bought another one today. A Winchester SXP Marine Defender in case of pirates, meth heads, zombies or trouble makers in general.

Cost less than the bilge pump and the switch - :)

And will never need to be replaced - heh, heh, unless for an autoloader with a 20 round drum mag! Bring on the Zombie Apocalypse.

Probably should put this in the BTD section:LOL:, but YMMV.

Any overthrow will come from within, fueled by internet disinformation. A Manchurian candidate. And those guns will be pointed at one another.

Yeah, we've already done that once. Didn't work out too well. 2% of the population died (though half those were to disease.) Hope we've learned a thing or three since then. YMMV

I worry that I worry too much about things :). For example, we are soon taking our first international plane flight to a country that requires a covid testing in the days before the flight, even if one is vaccinated and boosted. So it is easy for me to fall into this thinking: "DW and I are fully vaccinated and boosted, never have covid, when we had symptoms and were tested by doctors in the past they were always negative, my blood donations have always indicated I have covid antibodies present, we feel very healthy at the moment - but NOW is when the test will come back positive!" :) I just have to keep repeating the Serenity Prayer :).

I have the same concerns about travel.
Maybe you could use one of those home tests a few days prior, while still eligible for cancellation refunds.
If the home test is (+), then get a real test to double check before cancelling trip.

Yeah, we've already done that once. Didn't work out too well. 2% of the population died (though half those were to disease.) Hope we've learned a thing or three since then. YMMV

History is not taught in school anymore and all the statures have been taken down. No one under 40 even knows how this country was formed.

.... No one under 40 even knows how this country was formed.

Bill Murray explains how it happened in the first 20 seconds of this clip.

The Day After. Probably anyone over 50 saw it.

My nomination in this category is "On the Beach." Probably the scariest of them all - and yet there's no explosion (in-movie), no fighting, and not too much struggle. But it's very final.

I woke up this morning and asked my wife if she thought our DD was still alive. Her ex-fiance was getting his stuff from their townhouse on Sunday night and sent us a text saying that DD was drunk and talking about suicide. We had dinner with her last night and she was happy, happy, joy, joy. Now we are trying to decide if we want to try yet another intervention.

Sorry to share the horror, but it sure helps to talk about it with someone, even if it is strangers on the internet.

I woke up this morning and asked my wife if she thought our DD was still alive. Her ex-fiance was getting his stuff from their townhouse on Sunday night and sent us a text saying that DD was drunk and talking about suicide. We had dinner with her last night and she was happy, happy, joy, joy. Now we are trying to decide if we want to try yet another intervention.

Sorry to share the horror, but it sure helps to talk about it with someone, even if it is strangers on the internet.

I’m sorry to hear this.
My only advice is- in the field of social services we always continue to try and reach people even when they have not been previously open to any help. You just never know when it will be the right time for that person.
Good luck. I know it’s painful.
Also, call your mental health hot line if you think she will do harm to herself or others.

I feel your pain and all I can say is take things a day at a time. One day you will all be past this. My daughter hit rock bottom and she made it back up, and we never talk about all those bad years. Pray a little too, that helps.

My nomination in this category is "On the Beach." Probably the scariest of them all - and yet there's no explosion (in-movie), no fighting, and not too much struggle. But it's very final.

I tried to read that book, finally had to stop as it was sooo boring, and I read Dune before it became a movie and lots of other thick books.
It was the only book I ever quit reading, some other poorly written books I slogged through just because I wasn't a quitter. :cool:

My biggest worry is health, without that everything else is largely meaningless.

I'm so sorry....my DSis has some similar issues with her DD and it negatively impacts the entire family. I hope you and your spouse take care of your mental health. My DS hit a horrible patch when her DD talked suicide, after hours of daily phone calls listening to my sis spiral downward I tried to tell her I don't know how to help you maybe you should find someone to talk to. Sis hasn't spoken to me in over 5 years.

As far as an intervention it seems like you are D#$&ed if you do and D#@$&ed if you don't. I guess you need to pick the option that lets you try and sleep at night.

Back
Top Bottom