Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Block Online and ACA shared policy allocation
Old 01-16-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Block Online and ACA shared policy allocation

Hi, I'm a long-time lurker but seldom post. I ran into a snag while using Block Online today and thought maybe someone here could help.

DH, myself, and our son, 22, are on ACA insurance. It turns out we have to do a shared policy allocation on Form 8962 for last year. We thought our son would be our dependent, but he decided to take time off from college and got a job, so we didn't provide half his support, etc. etc. (He doesn't live with us.)

I understand HOW to allocate the amounts on Form 8962, but Block Online won't let me. I get a message saying I have to pay an extra $89.99 for a Tax Pro to do it. (I'm more of a Lean-FIRE type, so this ticks me off!)

I have the option of starting over at a local Block office, not sure how much that would cost. I like using Block Online because they have a record of our past returns, and autofill a bunch of information including our depreciation schedule for a rental property. Does anyone know if I go in person to Block, will my 2019 return info still show up when I go back to the Online product next year? The woman I called at my local office couldn't tell me, she just said they use a completely different system and even though my return is pretty much done I would be starting over. I read somewhere that the software download might let me complete the form, but would I have the same problem of not having the return in Block's system?

Our son also uses Block Online for his return, so he will come up against this same roadblock (!). Any suggestions? TIA.
NW-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

you can be even more lean and use pink pearl and number 2... sorry, I forgot you have to do it in ink. The manual method should work.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #3

H&R Block's Online software doesn't support shared policy allocation. You can't force it, because that feature simply doesn't exist, so you'll need to find some other method of completing your tax returns this year. And yes, it'll be a pain for next year if you try to go back to Block Online because they won't have your TY19 data and you'll have to enter it again.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, Cathy63, that's what I was afraid of. We started using Block Online back when we could file for free. Things gradually got more complicated when we retired, as we went on ACA insurance, then rented out our condo.

After some searching, I found a page on the Block website that suggests that the software version will support the shared allocation form: https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software...available.html

I think I'll give that a try. I also found the 10 page thread here about where to get the best deal on the software! Threads like that are why, although I don't post much, I always feel like I've found my people when I come here.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Reader View Post
Thanks, Cathy63, that's what I was afraid of. We started using Block Online back when we could file for free. Things gradually got more complicated when we retired, as we went on ACA insurance, then rented out our condo.

After some searching, I found a page on the Block website that suggests that the software version will support the shared allocation form: https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software...available.html

I think I'll give that a try. I also found the 10 page thread here about where to get the best deal on the software! Threads like that are why, although I don't post much, I always feel like I've found my people when I come here.
Don't spend too much time on it. I ran a provisional tax return through Block Online just now. When I got the ACA screens, there was a question regarding shared policies that I answered yes to. It then presented the following options:

Quote:
You'll need help to complete your taxes online.
Since your return includes shared allocations on Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit (PTC), you'll need an H&R Block tax pro to help you complete your 2019 taxes.
Most online tax prep programs don't cover this, but we've made it easy for you to finish and file with Tax Pro Review without starting over.

Want to add Tax Pro Review for an additional $89.99?
It sounds like the Tax Pro may receive your online submission and then they take it from there.

-gauss
"a non-credentialed volunteer tax preparer"
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, it was the $89.99 part that stopped me cold. I downloaded the software version of Premium tonight. I was able to import my 2018 return via pdf, so that was good. Then I went straight to the ACA section, and it does include a fillable form 8962, including Part IV which is what I need.

Quote:
Complete form 8962 on your own. Based on what you've told us, you'll need to complete form 8962. Click "show form" then "whole form" to use form 8962. Instructions for this form can be found at irs.gov. When you're done, hide the form to complete this section of your return.
So I think I'm good to go. And I think it will actually end up being cheaper than online, since it looks like I can use the software to do my son's return too, as one of the five federal returns. Or am I reading that wrong? Anyway, thanks for the help, and I hope maybe this helps someone else.