Blog about high-income households barely making by gets noticed

My grandma used to say "it's not what you make, it's how you spend it". I did not understand as a kid, but I remember and understand now.

I'm pretty sure that if they posted their expenditures on this site people would find plenty of ways for them to reduce expenses.

If you can't get by on $750,000 a year you don't need a raise, you need a reality check.

Yup. Can’t fathom how we and all our extended family have managed all these years in the DC area on 20% or less of that income.

Yup. Can’t fathom how we and all our extended family have managed all these years in the DC area on 20% or less of that income.

Yeah, I'd love to see the math behind why $750K per year is "difficult". Now, I could understand if you had a nice house in Georgetown, were putting kids in expensive private schools, taking fancy vacations, and maybe owning a second home somewhere. But even in that situation, there are instances where you could probably cut some excess out.

If my income suddenly got boosted to $750K per year, I think I'd work one more year, and then retire! Two, if we suddenly went into a severe recession, so I could buy on the dips.

I guess it's possible that some people can get used to that type of income, and adjust their lifestyle accordingly, and get stuck on that hedonic treadmill or whatever they call it. But, I don't think that would happen to me. I'd just use that extra money as a means to escape the rat race that much sooner.

After reading the article, I really can not feel sorry for these people. Put on your "big boy" or "big girl" panties and deal with it.

"On $50,000 a year you can't even keep clean..."

Ogden L. Mills,

United States Secretary of the Treasury,

1932-33.

Last edited:
Wanna hear a dirty joke? A white horse fell into a pit of money

"On $50,000 a year you can't even keep clean..."

Ogden L. Mills,

United States Secretary of the Treasury,

1932-33.

Hence the expression "filthy lucre".

Back