Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But Wellesley dividends showed up, so today the total of my investments plus bank accounts was higher than it has ever been in my life.

Plus, it is hard to get upset about the Dow being down to 24,755. Simply amazing!
Yes!

DILLEY DILLEY!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes!

DILLEY DILLEY!!
Dilley dilley.

The new wh....!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes!

DILLEY DILLEY!!
Yes!!! I had to google it to find out what that meant, but now that I know, dilley dilley for sure.

Pretty cool, huh. With this market, sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming, hallucinating, or what. But whatever it is, I'll take it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #24

I'm doing my best, but it's not easy. The last two years saw the largest expenditures on travel ever, and next year will be in the same league. I'm also going to buy the most expensive new car I've ever owned, so that's part of it too. Still won't hit the 4% WR though.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm doing my best, but it's not easy. The last two years saw the largest expenditures on travel ever, and next year will be in the same league. I'm also going to buy the most expensive new car I've ever owned, so that's part of it too. Still won't hit the 4% WR though.
Good work, though! We, members of the Early Retirement Forum High Spenders Club will struggle to keep the economy propped up if it kills us.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Well, as soon as the market tanks again the same folks who came out of the woodwork during the financial crisis will again pontificate about how 2% might be better as a safe withdrawal rate. Better buy that car now!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
We're doing our part. Upcoming ski trip to Whistler/Blackcomb in feb, first class air, slopeside lodging & all the perks.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Not interested in spending more. Our sub 3% WR gives us a pretty high level of comfort already, as we have been recently reminded while spending time with family for the holidays.

I have no desire to travel more extensively and we have plenty of nice things to enjoy as is.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I keep trying to increase my WR (thus spending percentage), but my portfolio keeps growing so it hasn't gone up this year. What's a retiree gonna do?

Oh, maybe I know! Buy a new SUV, that ought to do it.....

I'm doing my best to singlehandedly prop up the US economy.
So, when are you going to buy that beauty and post a picture?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #30

No new cars or trips for us but I did buy a brand-new snow thrower and DW went a little nutso buying stuff for the grandnephews and grandnieces. I'll have to email their respective parents and tell them to bring their largest vehicles to the Christmas family gathering so they'll have room to haul all that stuff back home.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
So, when are you going to buy that beauty and post a picture?
Patience, patience! I need to coordinate some stuff, decide on what vehicle, and torture curious ER Forum members a little while longer.....

Old 12-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

On the golf course of life, I am on the 13th. hole (statistically speaking) I'm not thinking I want to buy the whole club a drink at the 19th. Got a 13 day trip to Italy planned for 2018. Your dead a long time.
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #33

My situation seems to be that as I have achieved a level of affluence, I no longer enjoy things like international travel, and heavy restaurant meals. I seem to enjoy my own cooking and my own bed.
A lot of what I thought would be great fun upon retirement has turned out to be an opportunity to be uncomfortable.

I did buy two whole beef tenderloins to enjoy,and to to chop up and give out as Christmas presents...so there is that...
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
My situation seems to be that as I have achieved a level of affluence, I no longer enjoy things like international travel, and heavy restaurant meals. I seem to enjoy my own cooking and my own bed.
A lot of what I thought would be great fun upon retirement has turned out to be an opportunity to be uncomfortable.

I did buy two whole beef tenderloins to enjoy,and to to chop up and give out as Christmas presents...so there is that...
For several years while working I would go scuba diving 3 times a year, and at that time looked forward to more when retired. However after about 10 years I got burned out on it since I would get a cold nearly every time I took a trip (and colds and scuba don't mix well). So I gave it up.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Woo-Hoo, my theme -

Yeah Baby! Blow that dough!

I bought myself a Christmas present this year. A one of a kind hand made knife, mirror polished with grade AAA mother of pearl scales. Two grand.

Live the dream -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I just returned from a trip to Ireland for a family wedding. Ireland is expensive. Weddings are expensive. Particularly when they are held at locations that look like Downton Abbey. With hats. Oh well.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Woo-Hoo, my theme -

Yeah Baby! Blow that dough!

I bought myself a Christmas present this year. A one of a kind hand made knife, mirror polished with grade AAA mother of pearl scales. Two grand.

Live the dream -
When I saw the title I thought of you and was wondering when you might jump in. LOL

I have no plan on spending more this year other then what we have budgeted. There is always the unexpected things that come up so that will be my spending more if I have too. In a few years I will open things up still staying on course what I have to spend for now.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #38

This year we spent like it was 1999! Oh, never mind....

Big dental combined with massive (for us!) vacation. So, part bad luck and part just pent up vacation demand. We were somewhat austere in 2015 and 2016 due to the tepid economy and my nervousness as an ER. The strong market did encourage us to blow out the budget this year, but we'll reign it in for 2018, or so goes the plan...

I think it will be another 5-7 years before I even consider revising upwards the spending plan. Our SWR is probably somewhat aggressive, at least by ER.org standards, although conservative by MMM standards. No need for even more risk until we get further out from the sequence of returns shadow.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I just bought a new pair of golf shoes and a putter. I'm getting wild and crazy in my old age.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I'm actually more concerned with not spending enough now while we are young enough to enjoy it and dying old and rich.... though I guess that beats the pants off of old and poor.

DD's wedding this year primed the pump.... DW's kitchen remodel in 2018 will keep it primed.

Dilley, dilley!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote