Join Early Retirement Today

Blow that dough or keep saving for inevitable?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1st of all, I'm being serious

Amethyst pointed out something that I had not been thinking about. When is it that we make that mental shift from being savers to spenders? In my particular case I needed to come up with only about $1500 (deposited 1k to his checking & $500 to his Visa). I could easily do that out of one of my two checking accounts but then I'd want to put the money back. I retired early at 50 a little over a decade ago to part-time work. Now I've retired for good. When I eventually hit RMD and SSA in a few years my income will more than double. So why is it that I have such a hard time just spending the money? Each one of my kids will inherit a sizable sum as will my grandkids so they're fine

Does anyone know a formula for spending out of an IRA before you hit RMD? Do you just use the RMD calculator but your current date of birth?

And how did you make that bridge from saver to spender?
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
1st of all, I'm being serious

Amethyst pointed out something that I had not been thinking about. When is it that we make that mental shift from being savers to spenders? In my particular case I needed to come up with only about $1500 (deposited 1k to his checking & $500 to his Visa). I could easily do that out of one of my two checking accounts but then I'd want to put the money back. I retired early at 50 a little over a decade ago to part-time work. Now I've retired for good. When I eventually hit RMD and SSA in a few years my income will more than double. So why is it that I have such a hard time just spending the money? Each one of my kids will inherit a sizable sum as will my grandkids so they're fine

Does anyone know a formula for spending out of an IRA before you hit RMD? Do you just use the RMD calculator but your current date of birth?

I don't understand your post entirely? Is the $1500 to "his" accounts your only (monthly) spending? Is it spending or something else? Do you spend other money?

After you clear that up, some answers may follow?
Old 08-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #3

i-orp.org It's just a guesstimate and it has it's flaws. But I think the model asks if you want to leave some behind, or not.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I don't understand your post entirely? Is the $1500 to "his" accounts your only (monthly) spending? Is it spending or something else? Do you spend other money?

After you clear that up, some answers may follow?
No ... I have no problem spending my pension (which BTW includes monthly saving1k for traveling). He's a kid at SFSU whose grants / scholarships did not show up before his rent is due. So my dilemma was to take from (1) non-retirement accounts or (2) IRA. This is a one-time thing .... SFSU has released his PONY Award (he's a horn) & the rest will show up FA office says .... but I'm trying to figure out how to make that mental shift.

This month it's SFSU
Next time it'll be something else
I'm beginning to think I shouldn't go without bc I'm afraid / reluctant to spend my IRA dividends
Old 08-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
i-orp.org It's just a guesstimate and it has it's flaws. But I think the model asks if you want to leave some behind, or not.
Perfect!! I set up a legacy account which holds most of my assets so I know that they'll inherit but this'll let me know if taking out dividends is too aggressive

That'll let me know if my rate is appropriate, I still have to work on my mental shift
Old 08-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I still have to work on my mental shift
Read Robbie's posts, that should help. Plus, he just got married and that too will help blow the dough!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
When is it that we make that mental shift from being savers to spenders?
I don't believe this is a binary decision. I've always been both a saver and a spender.

Living beneath your means doesn't mean that you don't spend.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I don't believe this is a binary decision. I've always been both a saver and a spender.

Living beneath your means doesn't mean that you don't spend.
+1

There are many degrees of LBYM. You can be just 1 or 2 rungs below where different calculators say you can spend, or you can be 3 or 4. The main thing is you are happy where you are.

If you can afford to spend more, and it makes you happy then do it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When we semi retired it took us about a year to feel comfortable spending money. 6 years later it’s not a problem. We don’t care if any is left behind because we helped the kids when they were young and needed it. Having lost 3 friends between 59-67 this is our ltime. My step son mom is now dying at 64. Life can be short.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It shows as I-Orp.com and it gives me an error...

I can see the input screen pop up for a second but then get an error...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have no problem being a spender and we have told the 3 kids not to expect any big inheritance to take care of them in their retirement.

We continue to live our lives raising a 7 year old granddaughter. And it is her that we will be providing for in the long run with a special needs trust. She is going to be an experienced world traveler too.

Our youngest daughter is our problem child, and unfortunately she has poor judgement in people and cannot be trusted with money.

Fortunately, we will not have to withdraw any Rollover IRA funds until age 75 or later--other than RMDs. The RMD funds will be transferred into other FIDO accounts and saved for our children or grandchildren. And we are going to continue traveling the world as long as we are able mentally and.physically.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Muhaha! Yes, it's Robbie from the dark side - Blow That Dough!

Hey, I'll tell you a secret...psst, sometimes I have to remind myself of that -

And I do still adjust a bit. I still bought my first new car but it's a 45 grand Impala and not an 80 grand Lincoln like I was planning before.

Some things were easy, like first class airfare. I would have never "wasted that dough" while I was saving, but hey I travelled a lot when I was working in the sardine section and I don't travel as much now so when I do I actually would like to enjoy it instead of punishing myself.

Baby steps. Treat yourself to a $50 lunch, you'll love it -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

... When is it that we make that mental shift from being savers to spenders?

... And how did you make that bridge from saver to spender?
I do not think that I will ever that such a shift.

We invested and saved, to get enough to buy our retirement home and enter retirement with zero debt.

My pension is small [only $1600/month] yet it is enough to support a family when we have no debt.

In retirement we continue to save. We recently got an inheritance, so we used it to buy another apartment complex. Which will also lead to more income and more Net Worth.

We track our spending closely, and we hold it to less than my pension.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #14

Can't address Q1, but here's my Q2 response.
Back in the day, my finance and accounting classes talked about assets and liabilities in fixed and lumpy categories. Here at home, cell phones and sat TV are fixed expenses, while electric and gas are quite lumpy (but overall M2M COL is fairly fixed).

So, until SSI, our fixed expenses are covered by pensions and a small fixed monthly withdrawal from our IRA. Travel, remodeling, the soon to be new roof are lumpy expenses. Once we both start SSI next year, our IRA will be almost exclusively for lumpy stuff, as Pensions and SSI will more than cover monthly fixed costs.

But yeah, the first few taps of the IRA "barrel" were a mental hurdle. Got easier after a few.
YMMV
Old 08-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm dipping my toes in the water. Booking tons of travel as the opportunities come along. With 3 kids still at home time is the primary limitation, not money. I'm doing my best to spend it all while still alive so they kids don't get ruined by an oversized inheritance

My approach is: if it's a good value, spend the money. If it will be enjoyable spend the money.

It's easy to ramp up the discretionary frivolous spending since we can always ramp it back down should the next recession wipe out half our portfolio.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

That's it! Strike while the iron's hot!

Chill when it cools -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We've started spending more, but I thought we may spend even more. Over Christmas we flew to the Philippines in EVA Air's Premium Economy section, which seemed pretty much like first class and we loved it. So, DW and I agreed we would start spending more on flights to be more comfortable. Well, when it came dow to it, we couldn't. Earlier this month we flew to Maui (from Seattle) in economy. Maybe if it was just us and didn't include the kids (2) we would've flown first class. She is currently in Europe and is flying economy there and back. In October I'm flying to Palm Springs for a golf outing and I did upgrade to premium, which on Alaska Airlines is just extra legroom and free drinks.
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Baby steps. Treat yourself to a $50 lunch, you'll love it -
I guess I need to learn to crawl first. I can't see myself enjoying a $50 lunch.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For me it was pretty easy. I was a saver for most of my life (but not to the extreme) until I became FI. Once I became FI, (and while I was still working) I started to spend a bit more but I was still in the accumulation and tracking modes. Within a year of retiring I quit maintaining spreadsheets, tracking my spend and just start enjoying retirement.

I think the realization (after retiring) that I had more than enough to support my "desired lifestyle" helped me cross that bridge.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I think the realization (after retiring) that I had more than enough to support my "desired lifestyle" helped me cross that bridge.
+1
For us, after a few years and having nicely survived 2008, we realized that we could slowly loosen the purse strings. You don't have to switch gears on day one. Ease into it.