Join Early Retirement Today

Blue Cross ????
Old 09-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Blue Cross ????

I continue to get emails telling me to fill out settlement form. My spouse, who passed away last year, took care of all medical insurance, especially since I was undergoing chemo,etc.

To file for both of us is very complicated and I am wondering if this is worth my time? I can't imagine that it is.

Has anybody had any experience with this matter?
molly312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I found the website to be very straightforward. You just need to know the years you had coverage with them.

The amount received will be a function of how many people file a claim. The more like yourself who believe it's not worth wasting their time over will increase the amount for the rest.

It's odd that you are receiving emails for it - you should have received something by US mail.

If you received the notice by email, I would be suspect that it could be a phishing scam.

This is the official website:
https://www.bcbssettlement.com/
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
Administrator

I’ve received a bunch of emails from BCBS regarding the settlement, and I think they’re legit. BCBC has my email address from the account registration.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #4

i've filled out settlement forms forms for yahoo, equifax and others i can't recall. i'm still waiting on all of them. IMO not worth the time and effort.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i've filled out settlement forms forms for yahoo, equifax and others i can't recall. i'm still waiting on all of them. IMO not worth the time and effort.
I agree, not worth it in many cases. Just got email about "milk" settlement. If I go through all the hoops on that one, I would get $7.61 or thereabouts.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:51 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Anyone that bought chicken in the last 10 years.... I guess this is a LOT of people.. .

Can get a payment..

https://www.overchargedforchicken.com/
Old 09-15-2021, 05:06 AM   #7

Filled out the online form and received a check for 348.14 from BCBS IL. I am not sure if the two actions were related, but it was a nice surprise.

VW
Old 09-15-2021, 05:14 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure BC is paying out a lot of money and somebody is getting a lot of money, but my guess is those actually "harmed" won't be getting much of the money. Just the way it works. Remember the Big Tobacco settlement? States got (are getting) 100s of billions in settlement money. It's a mixed bag, but clearly a lot of that money is NOT going to those harmed by tobacco. YMMV

Here's an NPR story on the BT settlement and how the money is being spent:

https://www.npr.org/2013/10/13/23344...n%20settlement.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Filled out the online form and received a check for 348.14 from BCBS IL. I am not sure if the two actions were related, but it was a nice surprise.
Don't believe they have sent out any payments yet as part of the settlement and doubt the settlement payments will be close to that based on the number of BCBS members. What you received is probably the medical loss ratio rebate that is part of ACA, I've received these rebate checks from BCBS each of the last few years.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Don't believe they have sent out any payments yet as part of the settlement and doubt the settlement payments will be close to that based on the number of BCBS members. What you received is probably the medical loss ratio rebate that is part of ACA, I've received these rebate checks from BCBS each of the last few years.
Yes, that is what I got a rebate as part of the ACA. I actually almost pay nothing for HI after that rebate.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I filled out the form online... IIRC it was pretty easy to do... not sure when I will get anything...

I have gotten checks in the mail from other settlements that I had forgotten about... most small dollars, but sometime up to $100...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote