Join Early Retirement Today

BOA / Merrill Edge Tip
Old 09-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

BOA / Merrill Edge Tip

I use both Bank of America and the Merrill Edge Investments for my finances and really like both. No fees and the interfaces are great. Love the ability to transfer on my phone between accounts instantly. Anyway, if you also have this, you may want to know that you can switch your primary Merrill Edge Cash (Sweep) Account from the no interest account which is the default, to their "BIF Money Fund CMA", a Money Market account which gets .54% interest and is still SIPC insured.

I wish someone told me this years ago as I could have squeezed a few more bucks outta my cash account.

Anyway, I just found out and wanted to pass it on.
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you maintain $100K in BOA checking and get their travel rewards credit card, you get 2.625% cash back for all purchases.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
If you maintain $100K in BOA checking and get their travel rewards credit card, you get 2.625% cash back for all purchases.
If you maintain 100K in a merrill edge brokerage account, and link to the checking account, you get 2.625% cash back on the CC for all purchases.

It can be 100K of existing stock, and you get a bunch of other benefits too.. (the checking account can have just $100 and no fee, as a preferred rewards client.)
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #4

SIPC Insurance only covers fraud , it doesn't provide any protection from the money market fund breaking the buck from poor quality investments crumbling in a severe market downturn.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
Anyway, if you also have this, you may want to know that you can switch your primary Merrill Edge Cash (Sweep) Account from the no interest account which is the default, to their "BIF Money Fund CMA", a Money Market account which gets .54% interest and is still SIPC insured.

I wish someone told me this years ago as I could have squeezed a few more bucks outta my cash account.

Anyway, I just found out and wanted to pass it on.
Thanks for sharing. Could you please tell me how do I switch to the money fund? Do I have to call in to request the change? I looked around on the website and couldn't figure out to do it.

Thanks!
catotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post

It was zoro anyway before fed started raise interest in the past year. So you didn't miss anything.

You can buy brokered cd in the account too. 3 month at 1+ percent.

We also use the prefered card, no foreign exchange fee.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If you maintain 100K in a merrill edge brokerage account, and link to the checking account, you get 2.625% cash back on the CC for all purchases.

It can be 100K of existing stock, and you get a bunch of other benefits too.. (the checking account can have just $100 and no fee, as a preferred rewards client.)

2.625% back on the checking or the CC (credit card)? Just got the Merrill + Visa card, no annual fee and $500 in cash bonus or up to $1000 in travel bonus. Think I was just under the wire on that card offer, so may not be available anymore. Fidelity is my faithful 2% card, but if another .625% is available I could be lured away...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I got the BOA travel card, no annual fee, and no foreign transaction fee, and if you link a Merrill Edge account to a BOA checking account , the credit card gives you up to a 75% bonus on what it pays.

I'm still in the process of getting it all set up, but that is what I understand. Details are here, about the preferred rewards and how they increase the more $$ you have with them.
My Travel credit card came with a $200 bonus, which I consider measly, but it was the zero fee plus zero foreign transaction part that attracted me, and getting over 2% cash back.

I did also get a bonus for opening a Merrill Edge account and transferring in some stock, nothing like a free $600 for an hour effort

https://info.bankofamerica.com/preferred-rewards/
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:47 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

i weighed both boa and chase . i ended up doing the chase private client and the chase sapphire reserve card .
my chase freedom card offers 5% back on select groups every quarter .

i roll those over to the reserve card . i then use them for trips through the chase portal where i get them multiplied by 1.50x . that is over 7% back .
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Catotx,
You can't do it online. You need to call and let them know that you want that money market account as your default sweep account and they will transfer it all and then it will always be the default. Takes a couple days once you call. I only wish I did this long ago.
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i weighed both boa and chase . i ended up doing the chase private client and the chase sapphire reserve card .

i roll those over to the reserve card . i then use them for trips through the chase portal where i get them multiplied by 1.50x . that is over 7% back .
Which is walmart, costco. So if anyone need's some new tires next quarter, 5% off baby!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

If you become a Chase Private Client, do you get a break on Sapphire Reserve annual fee?
thx
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

no but you get another 10k in points . i did it yesterday . got 60k in points . so actually now i paid 450 , got a 300 travel credit and an extra 10k in points . those extra 10k points are worth 15k in points when traveling through the chase travel service
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We just signed up for BOA's new Premium Rewards Card, which is their new product to better compete with the Chase Saphire among others. It pays 2% for all travel and restaurant purchases and 1.5% for all other purchases. We also get a 75% boost on those since we are preferred rewards platinum honors customers(need to kept least $100k average with BOA, Merrill Edge or Merrill Lynch), so our bonus will be 3.5% and 2.625% respectively. It has a $95 annual fee, but we also get $100/year in airline incidentals (checked baggage, upgrades, inflight purchases, etc) and $100 credit for TSA Precheck or Global Entry, free travel insurance and some others that I forget off hand. You also get 50k bonus points if you spend $3k on the card in the first 90 days.

I also opened a Merrill Edge brokerage account which will pay up to $600 for transferring up to $200k in balances from outside BOA within 90 days and keeping it there for 90 days.
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote