Bob Barker Retires at 80

Canadian Grunt

Recycles dryer sheets
If there was a poster boy for early retirement it would have to be Bob Barker!

Nothing against Bob. I kind of admire his stamina. But retiring at 80 years old seems like an awful waste of a life. What enjoyment is he going to get out of retirement now? Chances are the poor guy will probably die within a couple of years.

Comments,

Grunt

Yeah, but I think he loved what he did and isn't that the point? He didn't need to retire to explore other interests, he was doing that with his TV gig and his animal project in his "spare" time. At least he seemed to find joy in hosting The Price Is Right. And if that's the case I say do it as long as it makes you smile and there isn't something else you'd rather be doing with your time.

On a different note, he's rather a poster boy for what an eighty year old is capable of.

If I had a job which could have been done in 1 to 2 hour segments a couple of times a week and making his kind of paydays... I would still be paying into SS as well! :D

crazy connie said:
If I had a job which could have been done in 1 to 2 hour segments a couple of times a week and making his kind of paydays... I would still be paying into SS as well! :D

not to mention....the babes

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
not to mention....the babes

Nice perk............remember when one of them sued him for defamation and sexual harassment a few years ago? I think Bob was 70 or so at the time, and she was 46, but started on the show at 30 years old. Bob summed up their relationship as "two middle-aged people having consexual sex".............. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

At first thought, I was going to say hosting that game show for Bob is more of a fun activity than a job.

But since it's one of those jobs that REQUIRES Bob to be there at certain predetermined hours whether he wants to or not, it really is more of a job.

Freedom to do what you want when YOU want to do it is what separates a job from a fun activity.

Looks like Bob fell into the trap that many others fall into which is they condition themselves to love their job without exploring all the other things that life has to offer.

Hmm, I dunno, somebody here at my work tells me he loves his job and that's why he's still working at 80, I'd be sceptical. But to walk on a stage and have a thousand people happy to see you, and then you give away some major prizes to some of them and make there day....I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he loved that job. Did you see him in "Happy Gilmore"? He definitely seemed like someone who had a sense of humor and enjoying life. Me and my buddies still say, "The Price is Wrong!" :LOL:

I agree that he liked his job.... and the time commitment was minimal... he had plenty of time to pursue what ever else he wanted to pursue..

And yes,.. he would have a quickie with a babe or two between the shows... what a job to have :D

My mom used to volunteer at the geneology library... and she had regular hours to be there as it was not open if she or one of the others were not there... but she loved it... what else is there to pursue than something you love even if you have regular hours??

retire@40 said:
But since it's one of those jobs that REQUIRES Bob to be there at certain predetermined hours whether he wants to or not, it really is more of a job.
I guess better examples would be Paul Harvey recording his radio commentary in his home studio wearing his bathrobe (that's what he claims he's wearing, anyway) or the radio show "Nights With Alice Cooper."*

Texas Proud said:
And yes,.. he would have a quickie with a babe or two between the shows... what a job to have :D

My mom used to volunteer at the geneology library... and she had regular hours to be there as it was not open if she or one of the others were not there... but she loved it... what else is there to pursue than something you love even if you have regular hours??
TP, no offense intended dude, but I can't be the only one bothered by the way you seguéd from Bob Barker's babes to the reasons that your mother loves volunteering at the library... let's just say that I don't want to know where he's spending his time these days!

*My 14-year-old daughter is very impressed with Alice's intellect, his astute commentary on modern culture & rock-star behavior, and his presentations of rock history. But when she compares his radio impression to the photos of his concert performances, the cognitive dissonance makes her head explode. And that's just the way Alice would want it!

Nords said:
I guess better examples would be Paul Harvey recording his radio commentary in his home studio wearing his bathrobe (that's what he claims he's wearing, anyway) or the radio show "Nights With Alice Cooper."*
TP, no offense intended dude, but I can't be the only one bothered by the way you seguéd from Bob Barker's babes to the reasons that your mother loves volunteering at the library... let's just say that I don't want to know where he's spending his time these days!

Yea.... kind of didn't like it myself.... but what the hey....

Back
Top Bottom