Boeing employees say no to $98M in free money

I was fortunate to have a boss educate me on the company's new 401k plan in 1983 when I was 6 months pregnant.
I already participated in the ESOP, stock purchase plan, and had deductions from my check for savings bonds, but immediately enrolled (have always had a fear of being a bag lady). I was able to increase my contributions over the years. When I became a manager, I made it a point to talk about the 401k plan with my teams - some got it and some didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Maybe they should change the name from 401k, Retirement Savings Plan, etc. to The Free Money Get Rich Quick Plan or something like that!:cool:

Maybe they should change the name from 401k, Retirement Savings Plan, etc. to The Free Money Get Rich Quick Plan or something like that!:cool:

Or better yet - take $500,000 from the millions passed up by employees, give that as a fee to Donald Trump or some other celebrity, and produce a short infomercial with them to have all employees watch that pitches a "simple, easy way to collect passive income WHILE YOU SIT AT HOME WATCHING TV to make you rich like me! All it costs is 52 weekly payments of just $39.95....and shipping and handling is FREE!".

Last edited:
I haven't read all the responses to the OP, but this is really the reason that the whole "privatize social security" idea won't work, IMO. It assumes that most folks will have basic understanding of investing - and that is just not so. Just look at the mess the 401k system is in. You can't go a week without reading across all the financial reporting outlets the "crisis in retirement" we are facing due to complete lack of savings (or very low savings rates). Many people leave free money on the table, and when they do invest in their 401k, they have very little understanding of what funds to invest in, what the expenses are for those funds, etc.

I say thank God for social security. It serves as a safety net and if it wasn't there and people weren't forced into contributing to it their whole working lives, I think we would all be paying a lot more in taxes from our own retirement accounts to help those that didn't have the foresight to save one red penny for their own retirement.

I say thank God for social security. It serves as a safety net and if it wasn't there and people weren't forced into contributing to it their whole working lives, I think we would all be paying a lot more in taxes from our own retirement accounts to help those that didn't have the foresight to save one red penny for their own retirement.

Amen. America isn't 330 million people like us. We represent a tip of the bell curve.

+1 as much as I hate it conceptually. It's keeping grandma out of the poor house (or my parent's house more likely lol). And keeping my parents in law out of my house! :D Thank goodness for SS. FYI none of those 3 that benefit greatly from SS had any 401k eligibility as far as I know (farmer, piecemeal assembler, and 1099 construction worker. respectively).

Their children have fared much better, and even the spendthrifts among them do a decent job saving for retirement in their company's 401ks (or they did the last we discussed it).

Last edited:
When I was a young person, I did not count on every seeing a nickel from social security. Thus, for many years the focus on saving for retirement was a bit more critical.

I also did not trust that the mega-corp retirement pension would still exist by the time I got to be that age. Yet, I did take it into consideration when I made the decision to stick with mega-corp rather than jump ship to a different company that had no pension plan.

Now, I am fortunate enough (perhaps some would say 'Lucky', but that is a whole separate thread...) that I have the old fashioned three legged stool. Pension, Social Security, and Savings.

I still remember the conversation where my boss explained to the group how not taking the base amount that the company matched on the 401k was just plain stupid. That convinced me to sign up. I had not signed up the first few years for several reasons:

1. The initial plan was a company stock purchase plan. During the period of time that I had been with the company the stock went into free fall, and basically taught people that the market was a good place to lose your money. It was hard to sign up to voluntarily put money into a 401k, when the past 5 years was a big loser on our stock experience.

2. We were living check to check, raising kids, going from two income to one income, etc. It took a bit to pony up the cash for the 401k.

After we were in it for awhile, the market hung in there and we could start to see that not only were we benefiting from market gains, but also from the company match. After some experience where you could start to see the compounding, it was obviously a no-brainer.

My own kids- one started out gung ho on saving large amounts in his 401k. Convinced that he was going to sock it away and be able to retire early. Within the first year or two the market took a big old hit, and all he saw was that his account balance was significantly less than what he had put into it. It is still a struggle for him to see value in investing. Plus, the companies that he has worked for do not have any match. Much harder to see why this is the right thing to do when you get burned early.

Now, I am fortunate enough (perhaps some would say 'Lucky', but that is a whole separate thread...) that I have the old fashioned three legged stool. Pension, Social Security, and Savings.

That's me too. In my case I'll call it "lucky" because while I knew there was a pension plan I didn't give it much thought until I was about 35. And although I wanted to save the soon-to-be-ex didn't and wouldn't or couldn't.

An elder law attorney we worked with on FIL's issues called me a "financial dinosaur". That's probably an accurate description.

Back
Top Bottom