Join Early Retirement Today

Bond fund question
Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bond fund question

Vanguard has a GNMA fund and a Short Term Bond Fund. Risk for GNMA is shown on scale as "2". Risk for Short Term Bond Fund is shown as "1".
Short Term Bond Fund holds corporate debt some of which is "b" rated. GNMA is all AAA back by the government. Short Term Bond Fund is yielding much higher than GNMA. Is the higher risk rating for GNMA simply a result of longer durations? Which fund offers lowest risk to my principal?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

This seems to be a difference in rating criteria. S&P or Moody's rate the GNMA fund AAA, which means extremely low likelihood of default. The "B" rated corporate debt means higher likelihood of default. S&P and Moody's assign their ratings based on their evaluation of the issuers ability to pay.

You didn't mention who assigned the "1" or "2" ratings (Vanguard?). My guess is this is likely based on different criteria than what S&P and Moody's would use, perhaps past performance of the fund, volatility, and other criteria similar to what Morningstar would use. It's worth reading the fine print on what the ratings are based on, but this seems to be a difference between:
1. rating the funds and their performance and volatility, versus
2. rating the issuers of the bonds and their ability to repay

Again, I would dive into the details before investing, but there is probably a tradeoff like: the GNMA has less likelihood of default loss, but the Short-term bond fund has less likelihood of volatile downward movements.
Dreamweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Vanguard GNMA fund, in DW and my IRA's, has been a nice performer this past year. I like it a lot. Of course, anything in my portfolio that isn't laying on its back with its legs sticking up looks good to me right now!