Join Early Retirement Today

Bond Funds
Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bond Funds

Hi, I am looking for an income investment (stream) with at least a modest amount of growth. I have approx. $150K to invest. I do not want to reinvest the dividends, but use the cash to supplement my income.
I have some mutual funds in a retirement account that I am currently contributing to w/a value of about $65K and a private reit (retirement account) w/a value of about $53K along w/some other individual stocks with a value of about $25K as well as emergency cash.
I will not be retiring for about 12 more years and my only debt is my home.
I am the main bread winner in the home and the income stream will help will bills and afford us the opportunity to breathe a little easier.
I've looked at these 3 funds. I'd like to realize at least a 5% return. I know a lot of you like Vanguard funds, but the return isn't what I'd like to receive. Any thoughts on the below? Thanks so much.
TGLMX, TGBAX, THOPX
DebER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I;m still early in early retirement and have of alot of investment knowledge to gain. anyway I put $25K in USATX (USAA) back in June or so with monthly dividend coming back to me (about $80/month or ~4%) the fund value has stayed fairly stable. It's primarily municipal bonds so theres some tax breaks which I really won't have a handle on until I do my 2011 taxes.

Anyway I'd love to hear from people with significant bond knowledge/experience also.
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How much risk are you willing to take? The 10 year treasiury is only generating a yield a shade over 2% so if you want 5% you are going to have to accept some risk.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

I know I will need to take some risk, but I can't stomach a lot. It would need to be moderate.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Describe "moderate." 10% loss? 20% loss? 2% loss?

- George Orwell

Old 10-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, me too. I want 5% or better with little or no risk. Let me know when y'all have it figured out. I'd prefer 8%, btw.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yeah, me too. I want 5% or better with little or no risk. Let me know when y'all have it figured out. I'd prefer 8%, btw.
Penfed 5% 10 year CDs were available this year. Good deals are available you just have to keep your eyes and ears open.

Alternatively get a time machine, although I think buying options on Apple stock back in Fall of 2008, would make more sense then CDs.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

@Brewer12345, 5-10% as I believe the dividends will offset the drop in NAV to help keep even.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebER View Post
@Brewer12345, 5-10% as I believe the dividends will offset the drop in NAV to help keep even.
Unless you are buying junk, that yield will be tough to achieve now. Junk can drop a lot more than 10 percent.

A way to suss out a possible investment might be to look at funds with a long track record. Look at their worst performance in any year of the last ten and compare that to the current yield. I would also have more than one fund.

I run a constrained risk portfolio for my FIL. I have a mix of convertibles,junk, high grade credit and merger arbitrage funds with a smidge of commodities in both open and closed end funds. No idea if it meets your stated downside limit, but it isn't hard to roll up a port like this.

There is also the Wellesley fund.

- George Orwell

Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

DebER, don't expect bond funds to have any serious growth potential. I have been in various bond funds for 21 years and have found they tend to have a ceiling on their NAVs.

As to specific bond funds, I have been in a particular one for about 3 years to generate the monthly dividends needed to pay my expenses. I bought into it in late 2008 when its NAV was greatly depressed so I was able to buy about 25% more shares than I anticipated beforehand. The NAV has risen since then which is good but because I am more interested in the income stream it continues to be the number of shares I own along with the monthly dividends per share which matter the most.

The bond fund has some risk in it because the bonds in it are at the low end of the investment grade category (BBB) or just below investment grade (BB, mostly, nothing below B). Whether you want to call it a "junk bond" fund is up to you. Regardless of how you characterize it, can you tolerate the risk?

The fund pays about 4.5 cents in dividends per share per month and has a NAV of about $9. That comes out to about 6% per year in dividends, or $750 per month on an investment of $150k.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Administrator

psst - Wellesley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (26.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
psst - Wellesley
+1
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've looked at these TGLMX, TGBAX, THOPX as from what I read, it's best to stay in Short and Intermediate funds right now as interest rates are bound to rise soon.
Any Opinion on the above?
Thanks so much for your comments/suggestions. I has been a help to me.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've looked at these TGLMX, TGBAX, THOPX as from what I read, it's best to stay in Short and Intermediate funds right now as interest rates are bound to rise soon.
Any Opinion on the above?
Thanks so much for your comments/suggestions. I has been a help to me.
TGLMX: junk bonds, risky. You shouldn't put all your money in something like this, but a small helping could help boost your portfolio yield.

TGBAX: global bond fund. Is it hedged for currency?

THOPX: short investment grade fund. I think you have the right idea here, but this is an expensive fund and its credit quality is at the lower end of the investment grade spectrum. You could probably find a better alternative.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
TGLMX: junk bonds, risky. You shouldn't put all your money in something like this, but a small helping could help boost your portfolio yield.

TGBAX: global bond fund. Is it hedged for currency?

THOPX: short investment grade fund. I think you have the right idea here, but this is an expensive fund and its credit quality is at the lower end of the investment grade spectrum. You could probably find a better alternative.
Agree with your comments. I also think it is worth noting that we are in a really low interest rate environment and if the economy starts looking stronger and rates rise you could be in for a lot of pain.

- George Orwell

Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1
me too +1. Wellesley is my go to for income and a little bit of growth.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Agree with your comments. I also think it is worth noting that we are in a really low interest rate environment and if the economy starts looking stronger and rates rise you could be in for a lot of pain.
It almost seems that no matter what I do, I'm going to lose unless I'm in fixed income instruments, such as CD's. Unfortunately, that's no way to make any money. Bummer
Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It almost seems that no matter what I do, I'm going to lose unless I'm in fixed income instruments, such as CD's. Unfortunately, that's no way to make any money. Bummer
The answer for me is to live with some volatility and diversify. YMMV.

- George Orwell

Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No risk, no reward is a condition most of us mere mortals must learn to deal with.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Penfed 5% 10 year CDs were available this year. Good deals are available you just have to keep your eyes and ears open.
I wish they would run another special soon. I have some 6% cd's maturing with PF around the first of the year.