Join Early Retirement Today

Bond vs Bond Fund
Old 07-19-2022, 10:05 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bond vs Bond Fund

I've decided that maybe I should put about 50k into bonds. But I don't know how to do this. I know the mechanics of buying but how do I decide if it's a good one?? It would be in my IRA if that matters. What do I need to read up on to figure this out? About a decade ago Schwab advised me to buy PWZ as it is taxfree. But I don't need taxfree in a tax deferred account.

As to risk tolerance: I've traded stocks for decades, used to trade up to 300× year, level 2 options trader, a little embarrassed that I know very little about bonds so I've just been accumulating cash. We all know how little that earns. I've really REALLY slimmed down investments to just SCHB (86%), SCHD & individual stocks (4%), PWZ (6%), straight cash (4%). Plus EF in a different account ... comfortable with that being just cash. Tired of trading -- started to feel like work
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2022, 11:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This will be interesting. I presume you’re following the “golden period” thread?
Old 07-19-2022, 11:29 AM   #3

Bond vs Bond Fund

You can always call Schwab and talk to the bond desk. They’re happy to walk you through it.

I’d avoid any bond fund though.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Bonds are simply I.O.U.'s with a defined set of payback criteria.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
This will be interesting. I presume you’re following the “golden period” thread?
Actually, no. But I will now. Where is that thread
Old 07-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #6

for this amount I'd be inclined to just stick it in a short term treasury index fund and find something more fun to do than worry about individual bonds.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:48 PM   #7

What's to worry about? I'm pretty simple minded but find no challenge setting up a ladder of CD's, T Bills or whatever. If you don't want to deal with it select auto roll. It all probably takes less time than I spent reading and responding to this post. However, in all honesty, it really doesn't matter. Short term mutual funds may wash out in the end. ��
Old 07-19-2022, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
What's to worry about?
if you're asking me, I keep thinking about opportunity cost. If bonds ^ 3%, inflation ^ 9%, historically stocks ^ 8% then I'd lose 6% YOY in the long run. But I keep telling myself it's only 4% of portfolio and better than interest on cash
Old 07-19-2022, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
if you're asking me, I keep thinking about opportunity cost. If bonds ^ 3%, inflation ^ 9%, historically stocks ^ 8% then I'd lose 6% YOY in the long run. But I keep telling myself it's only 4% of portfolio and better than interest on cash
Now you're asking about the future which neither I nor anyone else can predict. At 4% of the portfolio the point is moot. IMHO
Old 07-19-2022, 02:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually, no. But I will now. Where is that thread

We are entering a "Golden Period" for fixed income investing
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...d.php?t=114400
Old 07-19-2022, 02:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

There's bonds and there's bonds. Govvies, TIPS, Corporate Investment Grade, Corporate US, International, Junk.

Our personal portfolio is 95% in TIPS. DW and I are on the investment committee of a nonprofit with about $3M in corporate investment grade bonds. No funds except MM and ultrashort for occasional parking. Most of our corporates are limited to $10K positions, so we have several hundred different issues carefully diversified across business sectors; consumer durables, aerospace, etc. Our FA has a guy who is expert at this and he spends a lot of time on the diversification as well as studying the issues. Almost all are BBB and this has caused us no trouble.

DW and I have quite a bit more than $50K on our fixed income side, but we would not consider corporates because we don't have enough $$ to afford a well diversified portfolio and we don't want to expend the necessary effort. We also don't like bond funds for reasons hashed and rehashed here many times. YMMV however.
Old 07-19-2022, 02:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Here’s another good one that is very informative

Muni Bond (and Muni Bond Fund) Discussion
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...d.php?t=104000
Old 07-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I've decided that maybe I should put about 50k into bonds. But I don't know how to do this. I know the mechanics of buying but how do I decide if it's a good one?? It would be in my IRA if that matters. What do I need to read up on to figure this out? About a decade ago Schwab advised me to buy PWZ as it is taxfree. But I don't need taxfree in a tax deferred account.
Its awfully easy to buy treasuries. No research needed. Pick a maturity and click a button. I favor TIPS but anything is better than cash at Schwab. If you go with nominals I would keep the maturity to 5 years of less.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
Its awfully easy to buy treasuries. No research needed. Pick a maturity and click a button. I favor TIPS but anything is better than cash at Schwab. If you go with nominals I would keep the maturity to 5 years of less.
Even Schwab's MM fund, SWVXX is paying 1.4% right now.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:57 PM   #15

Quote:

As to risk tolerance: I've traded stocks for decades, used to trade up to 300× year, level 2 options trader, a little embarrassed that I know very little about bonds so I've just been accumulating cash. We all know how little that earns. I've really REALLY slimmed down investments to just SCHB (86%), SCHD & individual stocks (4%), PWZ (6%), straight cash (4%). Plus EF in a different account ... comfortable with that being just cash. Tired of trading -- started to feel like work
If this is a long term investment (>5 years), just put it in a total bond fund (ie. VBTLX, FXNAX, etc).

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...g_start-up_kit
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Sounds like a sure-fire way to lose money in the near term.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
^^^ Sounds like a sure-fire way to lose money in the near term.
A) you don't know that
B) I said if it's a long term investment
Old 07-19-2022, 08:02 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Yup... and I said near term. Let's check back in 6 months and see what happened.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yup... and I said near term. Let's check back in 6 months and see what happened.
If the investment is being held for years, who cares about 6 months? It's irrelevant.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:11 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I guess my point is that given the high likelihood that the Fed will be increasing rates over the next few months this is a bad time to invest in a bond index fund with a 6-7 year duration... a 1% increase in interest rates will create a hole that will take 6-7 years to recover from... so en if held 5 years it will not have recovered.

IMO it is bad advice.