Join Early Retirement Today

Bonds in taxable accounts
Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bonds in taxable accounts

My wife was recently fortunate enough to come into a large lump sum, and after some home improvements projects we intend to invest the remainder.

Adding together the new money and our existing retirement accounts and reshuffling, I plan to invest in a 70/30 equity/bond mix. The "problem" is that I don't have enough room in my tax exempt accounts to place all my bond holding to create this mix. My choices would be to slightly alter my mix to 75/25, which I'd rather not do, or to place some bonds in taxable accounts. Going forward with my future investments, I should have no problem keeping the 70/30 mix with all my bonds in tax exempt accounts.

My question is which bonds would you hold in a taxable account? Or should I think about slightly changing my initial asset allocation to keep all my bonds in tax advantaged accounts?
coalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Administrator

First of all, I wouldn't let the tax-tail wag the dog, and change your desired AA.

You might consider keeping some of your bonds in tax-exempt munis.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...lio-45571.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ont-59830.html
Old 02-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
First of all, I wouldn't let the tax-tail wag the dog, and change your desired AA.

You might consider keeping some of your bonds in tax-exempt munis.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...lio-45571.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ont-59830.html
+1
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

The simplicity of investing in municipal bonds funds is appealing. Is there any reason to do individual municipal bonds if retirement is a long way away?
coalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalcracker View Post
The simplicity of investing in municipal bonds funds is appealing. Is there any reason to do individual municipal bonds if retirement is a long way away?
Unless you have a very large amount, there is no reason to buy individual bonds and there are a couple of good reasons to use a muni fund. The fund is diversified so the risk is lower, fund managers can buy bonds at better prices than retail investors, the retail transaction costs are very high, and a fund is much easier to sell.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think if it were me I would go 75/25 and then let new money invested in fixed income in tax deferred accounts bring me back to 70/30.

I wouldn't view it as the tail wagging the AA/tax dog but more as just a easy/practical solution.

But if you decide 70/30 then just keep the taxable bonds in a total bond type fund or a muni bond fund if you are in a really high tax bracket.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Also in taxable you could look at ibonds, $10K each for you & your wife.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Those low-return short-duration bonds would be OK in a taxable account as well.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asset Allocation, bonds, tax-exempt