Bonds in taxable accounts

coalcracker

Dryer sheet wannabe
My wife was recently fortunate enough to come into a large lump sum, and after some home improvements projects we intend to invest the remainder.

Adding together the new money and our existing retirement accounts and reshuffling, I plan to invest in a 70/30 equity/bond mix. The "problem" is that I don't have enough room in my tax exempt accounts to place all my bond holding to create this mix. My choices would be to slightly alter my mix to 75/25, which I'd rather not do, or to place some bonds in taxable accounts. Going forward with my future investments, I should have no problem keeping the 70/30 mix with all my bonds in tax exempt accounts.

My question is which bonds would you hold in a taxable account? Or should I think about slightly changing my initial asset allocation to keep all my bonds in tax advantaged accounts?

The simplicity of investing in municipal bonds funds is appealing. Is there any reason to do individual municipal bonds if retirement is a long way away?

The simplicity of investing in municipal bonds funds is appealing. Is there any reason to do individual municipal bonds if retirement is a long way away?
Unless you have a very large amount, there is no reason to buy individual bonds and there are a couple of good reasons to use a muni fund. The fund is diversified so the risk is lower, fund managers can buy bonds at better prices than retail investors, the retail transaction costs are very high, and a fund is much easier to sell.

I think if it were me I would go 75/25 and then let new money invested in fixed income in tax deferred accounts bring me back to 70/30.

I wouldn't view it as the tail wagging the AA/tax dog but more as just a easy/practical solution.

But if you decide 70/30 then just keep the taxable bonds in a total bond type fund or a muni bond fund if you are in a really high tax bracket.

Also in taxable you could look at ibonds, $10K each for you & your wife.

Those low-return short-duration bonds would be OK in a taxable account as well.

Back
Top Bottom