Join Early Retirement Today

bonds phew!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

bonds phew!

what a pounding the bond markets been getting. it really makes you think about whether bonds really are conservative. i looked today at tlt long term treasuries fund. down an amazing 2% at one point. fnmix fidelity new market income down 1.5% . even agg bond index was off almost 1% . thats like the dow falling 100+ points. well the good news is this should really drive the housing market into the ground if it goes higher and we are getting ready to buy our future retirement palace.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

bonds have lost many folks much money over the years ... i don't think many appreciate the risk.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what a pounding the bond markets been getting. it really makes you think about whether bonds really are conservative. i looked today at tlt long term treasuries fund. down an amazing 2% at one point. fnmix fidelity new market income down 1.5% . even agg bond index was off almost 1% . thats like the dow falling 100+ points. well the good news is this should really drive the housing market into the ground if it goes higher and we are getting ready to buy our future retirement palace.
Lets see, bonds are down, stocks are down, reits are down...
I might have to pick up the book mention in the other thread about
the coming apocalypse
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There is a sale going on and you're complaining?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I had switched my bond funds from long to intermediate term a few months ago. They still got hammered today but they're down only about 0.35 to 0.70%. Compared to my REITs (down about 3%, ouch) and equity MFs (down about 1.8% on average), it's nothing. So in fact, the bonds in my portfolio did cushion the fall which is exactly what I am asking them to do. I wouldn't say that bonds aren't risky, because it is certainly not the case, but I still think they are a more conservative investment (well it depends on credit quality and duration I suppose).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I look at the currency markets and if that market believed the this bond move the dollar would have strengthened significantly; but it hasn't. Look at a chart.

So I'm guessing this is shaping up to a buying opportunity in bonds at least. I think I'll put a few $ into Vanguard Investment Grade bonds.

Let's not also forget it is the summer.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
what a pounding the bond markets been getting. it really makes you think about whether bonds really are conservative
This is exactly my point, and why we remain 100% equities.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #8

It's not so much that bonds 'aren't risky', but that they tend to dampen the movements of the portfolio overall, reducing the volatility or 'risk' in the portfolio. Of course, when interest rates go up, bonds and stocks both get hammered, at least for a little while.

Then you realize that interest rates are going up because every economy in the world is going gangbusters right now, and capacity is tight, inflation is the worry.... because every company is selling like crazy with no real end in sight, and you realize that strong corporate profits should lead to stronger stock values one of these days, and then you yawn, stretch, and go back to whatever you were doing. In my case, it's welding -- I just got an oxy-acetylene welding rig today and started burning up the garage -- good fun! Should come in handy for mounting my ceramic sculptures or even making some metal abstract pieces one of these days...
ESRBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Well ESRBob, you must then check out the welding forum. Here's a link to a 'tadpole' trike I'm welding up for my daughter:

a bike I've been working on forever - WeldingWeb™ - Professional Welding Forum

Oxy-acetylene is fun stuff. (although my bike project is tig)

- John
runchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Since when is 1-2% considered a "pounding"? If that seems big for you for bonds, then I think that in itself demonstrates that they are conservative relative to stocks, for which that level of volatility would be considered daily noise.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's ABOUT TIME! None of the long-term rates should have been trading below 5.25%, the current fed funds rate. That situation is extremely unusual.

The only reason it has, is that everyone has been expecting an imminent lowering of the Fed Funds rate.

Folks are finally realizing that this won't be happening any time soon. The economy is too strong for lowering interest rates.

So, IMO this is a situation "normalizing" itself.

Bonds will be "better value" now - LOL! This will probably hurt equities a little too in the short term - at least take out some of the "fluff".

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

1 to 2% in a day, which is what happened the other day is enourmous for bonds. its the same as the 200 point drop in the dow, tlt index was down almost 2, agg bond index was down almost 1.75
Old 06-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
1 to 2% in a day [...] is enormous for bonds.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that this fact tells me that bonds are, indeed, conservative. Not risk-free (for that go to savings bonds or government-insured CDs), but definitely conservative.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
None of the long-term rates should have been trading below 5.25%, the current fed funds rate.
i disagree. while it is not usual, it is understandable. the long and short ends of the market are in fact different markets, catering to different needs. the short end is heavily influenced by the Fed, but the long end is not. (indeed, when it is influenced, it is often in the unanticipated direction as the long end reacts to the expected inflation premium, which is directionally opposite of FedFunds moves.) further, the long end is much more sensitive to international rates than is the short end.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #15

Either an owner or a lender be--but maybe not both.

This is a bit old and may have been posted elsewhere (if so, I'm sorry). The other day Bill Gross mentioned on CNBC that he thought the bond bull market may be over. I found this related article on the PIMCO site:

PIMCO Bonds - Investment Outlook- May/June 2007 "How We Learned to Stop Worrying (so much) and Love 'Da Bomb'"

Here's another article from the dark side:

Safe Haven | What's the Deal with Bond Yields?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I found that my portfolio high-yielding dividend stocks, decline less than the S&P 500 but also less than my GNMA bonds and only slightly more than my TIPs bonds.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is that this fact tells me that bonds are, indeed, conservative. Not risk-free (for that go to savings bonds or government-insured CDs), but definitely conservative.

right now the long bond is down about 4% for the year . its eaten thru all the interest you would have gotten plus another 2% or so. if you take the fact that it was actually up for the year a few months ago the losses are approaching 6%. . mortgage securities funds did almost as bad. only junk bonds are doing okay at this point .

i have 2 bond funds that are actually beating a money market. my fidelity floating rate loans and new market income
Old 06-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
There is a sale going on and you're complaining?
My sentiments exactly. I had some spare cash in the 401k, so I bought TIP at 98.12, upping bonds to 35% of the port. Of course, the cash/MM er was 1.0%, so I was already planning to put it to work when it seemed prudent.

You know what this means; interest rates are heading even higher...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
right now the long bond is down about 4% for the year . its eaten thru all the interest you would have gotten plus another 2% or so. if you take the fact that it was actually up for the year a few months ago the losses are approaching 6%. . mortgage securities funds did almost as bad. only junk bonds are doing okay at this point .
A very good reason to avoid long bonds. For asset allocation purposes, it's best to keep in the short to intermediate duration range.

All my bond funds are still positive year-to-date. The shortest duration one is still up 1.6% YTD.

I look forward to adding to my bond funds when the 5-yr treasury reaches 5.25%.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

my benchmark is my money market funds which are around 2.4 ytd. my 2 bond funds are ahead slightly. i do believe in getting in bonds early if your going to reap any capital gains but i think even at this point its a little to early. geesh bill gross sees 6.5% on the long end as an eventual possibility.