Join Early Retirement Today

Boo Home insurance
Old 05-19-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Boo Home insurance

My auto insurance renewal notice was sent to me yesterday and I decided to do a little shopping around on all three of my polices (auto, home and umbrella)

Anyhoo, I noticed a 350 buck surcharge on my home insurance. WTH??
two years ago a tree fell through my bedroom window and I put in a claim to have it fixed.

So, I pay for home insurance and then I get penalized for using it

stays on for 3 years so that's a 1000 hit.

Do all insurance companies do this, I have allstate
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh no, great, I also have Allstate and a neighbors tree fell on my house this month. They said it was an act of God and therefore they do not subrogate to neighbors insurance, so I am sure I will be looking at the same issue next renewal, only good news is that it just renewed so I have a year before it hits. They have hit me with 20%+ increases the three years I have been with them.
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post

Do all insurance companies do this, I have allstate
Most do. Statistically, people who have a history of recent claims are more likely to file one in the next year. That's why most people are very cautious about submitting small claims. In your case, since your roof likely cost well over $1,000, you came out ahead. Sometimes, rather than surcharge due to past claims, they just don't give you a "claim-free discount". Same effect, of course.

While people do complain about having to refrain from filing smaller claims because the surcharges make it not worth it, that does keep the cost of coverage down for everyone.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of Allstate, they announced in Georgia that they are raising auto rates an average of 25% but perhaps as high as 58.3% in some cases. Yep...you're in good hands, for sure if you are in Georgia.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-r...sive-al/nq3yK/

FWIW...Amica has been great to me. I have had my home owners insurance actually DECREASE two years in a row!
Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Speaking of Allstate, they announced in Georgia that they are raising auto rates an average of 25% but perhaps as high as 58.3% in some cases. Yep...you're in good hands, for sure if you are in Georgia.

Georgia Insurance Commissioner warns of big Allstate rate hike | www.ajc.com

FWIW...Amica has been great to me. I have had my home owners insurance actually DECREASE two years in a row!
Would interesting to see what others are paying per sq ft for coverage. I know there are lots of variables - coverage, inclusions, risk area, multiple policy discounts, deductibles, etc. Mine is $.61 per sq ft per year with $1000 deductible.
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
Would interesting to see what others are paying per sq ft for coverage. I know there are lots of variables - coverage, inclusions, risk area, multiple policy discounts, deductibles, etc. Mine is $.61 per sq ft per year with $1000 deductible.
Yeah, there are SOOO many variables. My policy includes a 30% additional dwelling replacement coverage (basically up to $327K dwelling, $189K personal property and $75K loss of use) and a rider for jewelry. But, after the applied dividend, the cost is $808 a year and with a house @ 2400 SF, that comes out to $.3366 per square foot; deductible is $1500.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The mode of insurance companies is to quote policies at relatively low rates. Then they raise rates 15%-20% every year. On homeowners' insurance, they try to substantiate the rates saying the replacement value of rebuilding a house goes up that much every year--after they plug the numbers into an industry wide computer system. They were charging me by the $ thousand for coverage, and ended up having my home insured for 50% more than it was even worth.

The other problem is that they'll charge you 30% more for auto coverage or homeowners' coverage if you cancel either coverage--taking it to a cheaper company.

I have Allstate homeowners' and auto coverage for really good prices, and I'm not complaining about a 5.5% increase after reading about other states.

When I bought a new house 3 mos. ago, I went with Essurance, Allstate's on line company. Rates were incredibly low, however they were very, very conservative in administration. They sent out an inspector to look at the house, and they pulled Lexis/Nexis and driving records on me--looking for prior claims and tickets.

It's just so important to keep a clean driving record and no claims on homeowners' policies. Then if your insurance policies get too expensive, you can switch companies without any problems. I have changed companies every 3-4 years in the past--to keep down rates.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

Asking what others pay will not give you any relevant information. Call the insurance companies in your area and ask for estimates. Check with a local insurance agent too.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

State Farm surcharged us for auto insurance after a claim and homeowners jumped 20 pct. We switched to Nationwide and the homeowners coverage was half of what we were paying. The auto was about the same but we saved 15 pct with their usage monitor. Year 2 the homeowners went up 4 pct.
The thing that kills me is that if you are in HCOL area 2/3rds of the value is in the lot and it's very unlikely you won't be able reuse your lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You really want to avoid a claim on your homeowners insurance. Really.

Unless it was over 5% of the value of the home I would just fix it myself.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:54 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
State Farm surcharged us for auto insurance after a claim and homeowners jumped 20 pct. We switched to Nationwide and the homeowners coverage was half of what we were paying. The auto was about the same but we saved 15 pct with their usage monitor. Year 2 the homeowners went up 4 pct.
The thing that kills me is that if you are in HCOL area 2/3rds of the value is in the lot and it's very unlikely you won't be able reuse your lot.

I used to have to fight that all the time. Had a home sitting on over an acre of waterfront property. The land was easily worth three times the value of the home which was even reflected in the tax appraisal. But the insurance companies would always insist on using the full value.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My first reaction on seeing the thread title: What the heck is a "Boo Home"?
Old 05-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #13

did you have a "no claims deduction"? you would loose that when filing a claim... at least for some number of years. But the charge could be a claim bonus for the insurer.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

OP forgot the "hiss" part.

A few years ago had new roof put on the house. The next year had a golf ball sized hail puch some holes. After their adjuster looked it over, nearly the full roof replacement cost was approved. A few percent increase in homeowners policy cost. My guess is over twenty years or so Erie will recover the payout. No complaints at all.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #15

I don't know but never claimed anything on my home insurance yet. But I think they are for big event like fire.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
You really want to avoid a claim on your homeowners insurance. Really.

Unless it was over 5% of the value of the home I would just fix it myself.
Which Boggles my mind Robbie. Don't all the insurance company spout nonsense about reassurance? How reassuring is it to know if my house gets damaged i still maybe out thousands of dollars

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

We used to have Allstate for home and auto. After years of stable payments, rates started to go up about every other year with no claims. We were able to keep premiums stable by upping the deductibles on both. Finally, rates had a large increase, so I shopped around and was able to reduce premiums by 40-50%, switching to Safeco 3 years ago. So far, Safeco rates have remained about the same.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #18

I had Allstate too. It's the worst among my insurance. AAA is best because it's non profit, at least that's what they told me. My insurance actually went down 30%, unheard of in previous years.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My first reaction on seeing the thread title: What the heck is a "Boo Home"?
Maybe OP lives in a Ghost Town?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I often wonder if insurance companies have some sort of formula for increasing rates based on higher likelihood of a claim after x yrs of coverage with no claims.