Booze! How much do you spend a month?

We spend an average of $100 a month. The reason it's high...at least to me, is because we buy Gentleman Jack, Patron Tequila and other expensive liquors. Throw in beer and a couple of bottles of wine a month and it adds up.

Is it worth it? You bet. :cool:

We spend an average of $100 a month. The reason it's high...at least to me, is because we buy Gentleman Jack, Patron Tequila and other expensive liquors. Throw in beer and a couple of bottles of wine a month and it adds up.

Is it worth it? You bet. :cool:

Patron? Ohhh party at BBBAMI's house! Ill bring the limes :LOL:

I would guess I spend about $60.00 to $100.00 a month for personal consumption. This would be a bottle a week of wine(at $15-20 dollars per bottle, sometimes less if the state store has a "bargain") and the odd cocktail out with dinner(one or two a month on average). Of course, if I had a gathering at the house, I would spend more but this does not happen often. It seems, too, that my best friends are either teetotalers or diabetics so when they come over, we drink diet soda or mineral water. When I think about it, I am rather stunned that I spend this much. I didn't drink until I got married...

No, I don't think she is! We will never agree on this point. For me water is for quenching thirst and clearing the palate. It does absolutely nothing to enhance food flavor.

And we drink GOOD water. My husband has a very sensitive palate and is a stickler for clean tasting water

Audrey, I don't doubt it! However, personally I just don't like my food to taste like wine. :) And although drinkers are in the vast majority and probably all agree with you, I suspect that non-drinkers don't. :)

I don't have a clue! We buy a case a beer about every three to six months, depending on how much company we have. We purchase most of our booze when we are on a military base twice a year or so. About the only consistent thing is a box of wine from wally world every month or so. Never thought to even try and figure it out. Food is another thing we don't keep track of. We know there is enough money to eat what ever we want, so we do.

The $100 a month sounds about right for us, but our annual St. Pat's party is more like around $500 just for the booze, but I don't regret a penny of that! Heck we spend that much on the band!

All beer for us, not wine drinkers. And our water is awful, W2R. :)

We drink a small glass of wine with dinner on week days and one beer or two on week-ends. We rarely indulge in hard liquors and cocktails, except for the occasional Tom Collins. So say, for the 2 of us, 2 bottles of wine and 4 packs of beer per month plus one bottle of gin per year, total about $60 a month (we very rarely eat out, and when we do, we rarely consume alcohol).

Now, if we entertain at home, chances are we will spend a lot more on booze.

A couple of stories about booze:

1) When I was in grad school, I was consuming only 1 beer per week, on Friday nights. My doctor said that I needed to see a counselor to address my "drinking problem"... Which was amusing because, where I come from, having a "drinking problem" usually refers to someone who does not drink enough!
2) Once, when buying a pack of beer in Alabama, I was lectured about the dangers and immorality of drinking alcohol by the guy standing in line next to me at the register.

P.S. I am getting one of those Vinturi aerators for Christmas.

Not as much as we used to since we moved out here and downsized. When we lived in Houston we had a larger home, had a socially active neighborhood and we used to entertain a lot more. (The neighborhood parties were nice because we could get a few bottles of wine and beer out and knew no one would have to drive home.)

Plus, we had good happy hours out there, which we don't have where we live now. So in reality, we've probably dropped from about $150 a month in Houston to around $50-75 here.

Not as much as we used to since we moved out here and downsized. When we lived in Houston we had a larger home, had a socially active neighborhood and we used to entertain a lot more.
I drank a lot more when I lived in Houston, too. Nothing to do with entertaining, just trying to remain sane...

Audrey, I don't doubt it! However, personally I just don't like my food to taste like wine. :) And although drinkers are in the vast majority and probably all agree with you, I suspect that non-drinkers don't. :)

This made me laugh, W2R, because I can't remember the last bottle of wine we actually finished at our house (DH does not drink and after we open a bottle for company, I forget it's been opened until at least a week or two later). So we cook with it to use it up--ergo, a lot of my best culinary efforts "taste like wine." :)

I´m an almost teetotaler. It´s not a conviction. Just that I don´t like alcoholic drinks. Being a siocial bore, I drink at parties to loosen up and be reasonably fun to be with... In my case a beer is more than enough to do the trick.

We both drink cheap wine and SO occasionally has a vodka . I enjoy sipping wine while I cook and I'm convinced it makes me a better and happier cook . The galloping gourmet was not swigging soda as he cooked so if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me .

We both drink cheap wine and SO occasionally has a vodka . I enjoy sipping wine while I cook and I'm convinced it makes me a better and happier cook . The galloping gourmet was not swigging soda as he cooked so if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me .

Me too.

I've been known to deglaze a pan with wine right from my glass.:blush:

Actual from budget is less than $20/month. We used to buy more expensive wine and drink it more often, but cut back drastically (on quantity & quality) with this recession, and not likely to go back to our old habits. However, we usually go out to dinner once a week and will usually have one drink each, not counted in the above.

We aren't social drinkers. Now that I think about it, we aren't very social at all! LOL!

Can't handle the hard stuff, and prefer drinking with fine dining at home. Although if you are invited for dinner we'll share!

And if we cook at someone else's home (which we do with family all the time) we're always the ones bringing wine or beer to go with the meal.

Ah! I get it! We're social eaters!

Audrey

Have a reaction to alcohol so zero. But my friends enjoy it.

Interesting thread, now I feel like a total boozer!!

Beer (4 6pk/mo: $30)
Wine (4 bot.mo: $30)
Happy Hours/"networking events": (3/mo: $90)

DBF usually pays for the keg in the kegerator, and we don't usually consume all of the beer at once (there are probably 30+ cans/bottles of beer in the fridge (but it will stay there until the next party (Bud & something else gross!) Wine goes with food and friends! As long as I choose to keep it in the budget and it does not affect my savings rate, it's all good!

Back
Top Bottom