Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Your joking of course.
Well, I realize that SOME of you poor deprived people don't have our great tap water straight out of the mighty Mississippi River to drink....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now and then I pick up some beer for my DD and she will do a chore or two for it. Ought to make a sign that says "will work for beer"! The bar always stays stocked for a hot toddy and a rum & coke. The wine cooler always has some wine in it and some bottles have been there for quite a few years just getting better. Son hit the grocery store with me in June and he bought 2 Crown Royals, 2 Captain Morgans and 2 flavored Vodkas. We will do some frozen blender foo foo drinks for Labor Day.

I doubt current spending averages more than $10 a month from me. The 2 kids may avg another $10 a month for each of them. That would make a total of $30 a month right now. I do use brandies and wine for cooking and when I get into some fine dining cooking we enjoy the appropriate beverage with the meal.

Of course someone does hit a case goods sale at a Bev Mo now and then. But a case is considered a gift!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Have you guys seen these? Vinturi Wine Aerator

We call ours "the guzzler" because of the cool sound effects! They are outrageously expensive, but fortunately ours was given to us as a gift (so no guilt ).

We love it.

Audrey
Yeah we got one a few weeks ago for 29.99.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
I agree, Audrey, especially w/wine...it can enhance a really good meal. I'm not a fan of mixed drinks or cocktails. If I'm going to have a drink by itself at a happy hour, I usually go for a beer.
And to me food can magically enhance wine. It's amazing how a little cheese and crackers brings out so much additional flavor in the wine.

We don't drink beer by itself either, for the same reason.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Your joking of course.
No, I don't think she is! We will never agree on this point. For me water is for quenching thirst and clearing the palate. It does absolutely nothing to enhance food flavor.

And we drink GOOD water. My husband has a very sensitive palate and is a stickler for clean tasting water which is why we ended up spending >$400 on a really high-tech water filtration system for the motorhome last year. He really had to sell me on the investment, but now that we have it, it's been wonderful!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We spend an average of $100 a month. The reason it's high...at least to me, is because we buy Gentleman Jack, Patron Tequila and other expensive liquors. Throw in beer and a couple of bottles of wine a month and it adds up.

Is it worth it? You bet.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
We spend an average of $100 a month. The reason it's high...at least to me, is because we buy Gentleman Jack, Patron Tequila and other expensive liquors. Throw in beer and a couple of bottles of wine a month and it adds up.

Is it worth it? You bet.
Patron? Ohhh party at BBBAMI's house! Ill bring the limes
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #28

I would guess I spend about $60.00 to $100.00 a month for personal consumption. This would be a bottle a week of wine(at $15-20 dollars per bottle, sometimes less if the state store has a "bargain") and the odd cocktail out with dinner(one or two a month on average). Of course, if I had a gathering at the house, I would spend more but this does not happen often. It seems, too, that my best friends are either teetotalers or diabetics so when they come over, we drink diet soda or mineral water. When I think about it, I am rather stunned that I spend this much. I didn't drink until I got married...
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No, I don't think she is! We will never agree on this point. For me water is for quenching thirst and clearing the palate. It does absolutely nothing to enhance food flavor.

And we drink GOOD water. My husband has a very sensitive palate and is a stickler for clean tasting water
Audrey, I don't doubt it! However, personally I just don't like my food to taste like wine. And although drinkers are in the vast majority and probably all agree with you, I suspect that non-drinkers don't.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #30

I don't have a clue! We buy a case a beer about every three to six months, depending on how much company we have. We purchase most of our booze when we are on a military base twice a year or so. About the only consistent thing is a box of wine from wally world every month or so. Never thought to even try and figure it out. Food is another thing we don't keep track of. We know there is enough money to eat what ever we want, so we do.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The $100 a month sounds about right for us, but our annual St. Pat's party is more like around $500 just for the booze, but I don't regret a penny of that! Heck we spend that much on the band!

All beer for us, not wine drinkers. And our water is awful, W2R.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Patron? Ohhh party at BBBAMI's house! Ill bring the limes
Come on over! However I don't need a lime...I drink mine straight. The only twist I have with Patron is when I take the first sip...a little "shimmy" in my "get-a-long"....
Old 08-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

We drink a small glass of wine with dinner on week days and one beer or two on week-ends. We rarely indulge in hard liquors and cocktails, except for the occasional Tom Collins. So say, for the 2 of us, 2 bottles of wine and 4 packs of beer per month plus one bottle of gin per year, total about $60 a month (we very rarely eat out, and when we do, we rarely consume alcohol).

Now, if we entertain at home, chances are we will spend a lot more on booze.

A couple of stories about booze:

1) When I was in grad school, I was consuming only 1 beer per week, on Friday nights. My doctor said that I needed to see a counselor to address my "drinking problem"... Which was amusing because, where I come from, having a "drinking problem" usually refers to someone who does not drink enough!
2) Once, when buying a pack of beer in Alabama, I was lectured about the dangers and immorality of drinking alcohol by the guy standing in line next to me at the register.

P.S. I am getting one of those Vinturi aerators for Christmas.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Not as much as we used to since we moved out here and downsized. When we lived in Houston we had a larger home, had a socially active neighborhood and we used to entertain a lot more. (The neighborhood parties were nice because we could get a few bottles of wine and beer out and knew no one would have to drive home.)

Plus, we had good happy hours out there, which we don't have where we live now. So in reality, we've probably dropped from about $150 a month in Houston to around $50-75 here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Not as much as we used to since we moved out here and downsized. When we lived in Houston we had a larger home, had a socially active neighborhood and we used to entertain a lot more.
I drank a lot more when I lived in Houston, too. Nothing to do with entertaining, just trying to remain sane...
Old 08-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I drank a lot more when I lived in Houston, too. Nothing to do with entertaining, just trying to remain sane...
Got all those mosquitoes good and hammered, too.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Audrey, I don't doubt it! However, personally I just don't like my food to taste like wine. And although drinkers are in the vast majority and probably all agree with you, I suspect that non-drinkers don't.
This made me laugh, W2R, because I can't remember the last bottle of wine we actually finished at our house (DH does not drink and after we open a bottle for company, I forget it's been opened until at least a week or two later). So we cook with it to use it up--ergo, a lot of my best culinary efforts "taste like wine."
Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #38

I´m an almost teetotaler. It´s not a conviction. Just that I don´t like alcoholic drinks. Being a siocial bore, I drink at parties to loosen up and be reasonably fun to be with... In my case a beer is more than enough to do the trick.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I didn't drink until I got married...
Me neither, didn't have to. Or maybe it just seems like that.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

We both drink cheap wine and SO occasionally has a vodka . I enjoy sipping wine while I cook and I'm convinced it makes me a better and happier cook . The galloping gourmet was not swigging soda as he cooked so if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote