Join Early Retirement Today

Boston College says TIRA over Roth ???
Old 12-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Boston College says TIRA over Roth ???

Just read piece about a Boston College study Saying the general public might just be better with a traditional IRA and the tax deduction at your current rate.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...?siteid=yhoof2
Quote:
Four-fifths of households in retirement will pay an effective tax rate of 0%, or nearly zero, write Boston College researchers Anqi Chen and Alicia Munnell (the director of the Center for Retirement Research, and a MarketWatch contributor) in a new paper. That includes federal and state income taxes.

Only those in the top fifth of retired households by income pay significant taxes, and even then the average rate for that group is only 11.3%, they calculate.

In the top 1% by income the average is 22.7%, they add.

I'm still telling the kids to put the money into Roth and converting the remaining TIRA to Roth this year and next. YMMV IMHO BYOB
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Just read piece about a Boston College study Saying the general public might just be better with a traditional IRA and the tax deduction at your current rate.

I'm still telling the kids to put the money into Roth and converting the remaining TIRA to Roth this year and next. YMMV IMHO BYOB
I think that anyone who cares enough about their assets and retirement savings to read this forum will likely have enough of a nest egg at retirement to make a ROTH worthwhile.
jazztbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:47 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Just a early morning coffee swag, but I venture that five-thirds of this community forum are in the top one-fifth for the USA income profile.

Hence - approximating a proportionate IRA/Roth, particularly while young and starting out, and when recently retired - matters.
DW and I are 59/59. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 7% cash and 53% Intermediate Treasury fund. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Just a early morning coffee swag, but I venture that five-thirds of this community forum are in the top one-fifth for the USA income profile.

Hence - approximating a proportionate IRA/Roth, particularly while young and starting out, and when recently retired - matters.
Five-thirds? I think you need more coffee

But I think your point is correct.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Study says people don't pay much tax in retirement. OK. Why? I say it is because they don't save enough in IRAs and 401ks.

Study suggests people should use tIRA. (Doesn't mention 401ks, but it should.) OK. Now what? If you save, you'll be paying later.

Just another example of the short term issue we have in this culture.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #6

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Five-thirds? I think you need more coffee

But I think your point is correct.
Similar to the Car Talk guys telling listeners to stay tuned to the 'third-half' of the show.

Statistics and the truth. (you know the rest)
DW and I are 59/59. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 7% cash and 53% Intermediate Treasury fund. Rising equity glidepath.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #7

Just to be clear, I only posted it as an outlier. I normally read any articles about IRAs and retirement savings, even if they don't remotely apply to me just to hear other points of view (Yes, often discarding ones such as the subject) and perhaps find another wrinkle to the subject.

If you are in a 0% bracket in retirement then you probably don't put any funds into an IRA either Roth or traditional.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with five thirds?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53.JPG (11.4 KB, 438 views)

Old 12-16-2020, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztbone View Post
I think that anyone who cares enough about their assets and retirement savings to read this forum will likely have enough of a nest egg at retirement to make a ROTH worthwhile.
I've noticed this trend, too. My first post here was something about my "shoestring retirement." There used to be posts about re-using dryer sheets.

I think I have enough to get by. But it's highly unlikely that I'll be in a higher tax bracket when I start withdrawals than I am now. So, no Roth for me.

That's OK. I still learn a lot, maybe more, as the "poor boy" on the forum.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

There is no "one size fits all", and I don't think the article is saying that either. For at least some of us here, deferring income (tIRA or 401K) was the right move because of high enough earnings putting us in a higher tax bracket than we'd be in during retirement, especially ER. I have no regrets.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
What's wrong with five thirds?
Ah, Fifth Third Bank.

I have some "vivid" memories of being a vendor to that bank and dealing with the president of one of their regions. One of the most unpleasant human beings I ever had the misfortune to encounter.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ah, Fifth Third Bank.

I have some "vivid" memories of being a vendor to that bank and dealing with the president of one of their regions. One of the most unpleasant human beings I ever had the misfortune to encounter.
Interesting. We, and everyone we know here in their headquarters region, have an intense dislike for Fifth Third's operations. Worst customer "service" on the planet.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:

Study says people don't pay much tax in retirement. OK. Why? I say it is because they don't save enough in IRAs and 401ks.

Study suggests people should use tIRA. (Doesn't mention 401ks, but it should.) OK. Now what? If you save, you'll be paying later.

I didn't click into the article. I figured someone would explain it. And you did. I hate to give them the click just to find out it's a no-op.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
There is no "one size fits all", and I don't think the article is saying that either. For at least some of us here, deferring income (tIRA or 401K) was the right move because of high enough earnings putting us in a higher tax bracket than we'd be in during retirement, especially ER. I have no regrets.
+1.

I was maxxing out 401k and spousal IRA during peak salary work years at a 22% marginal tax bracket.

Now in early retirement years I can ROTH convert at a 12% tax rate.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Similar to the Car Talk guys telling listeners to stay tuned to the 'third-half' of the show.

Statistics and the truth. (you know the rest)
I kinda figured that, but couldn't resist

On topic: While I wish I had more in Roth, the reality is that most of it went into the tIRA at 28+% marginal rate, so the deduction was worthwhile and, even with a rather large tIRA, odds are I will get most of it out, on average, at that rate or lower. So, no harm, no foul.

My recommendation to young workers would be to use Roth early on while you are lower income, and tIRA when you have higher income.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Interesting. We, and everyone we know here in their headquarters region, have an intense dislike for Fifth Third's operations. Worst customer "service" on the planet.
Sorry I started a derail, I just always got a laugh out of their name. I'm like, why isn't it 1 and 2/3 bank? You know, I'm an engineer. A math thing.

They are trying to get a foothold in our region. I suspect the only customers there are the ones that got transferred. Never heard any excitement about them.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Fifth Third is our current mortgage holder. On my mind since we are refinancing a VA IRRL within the week. When I called their mortgage department, they declined to refinance my rate to the lowest. Onward-Ho to Quicken Loans!

(Yes - I am one of THOSE PEOPLE who never believed in early mortgage payoff, and that low interest serviceable debt on real estate is actually a good thing in the portfolio.)
Old 12-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #18

Quote:

Well said.... like most things in life, I think it comes down to culture. I was lucky... a friend helped to educate me when I was around 29... all the reason why... “HEY!!! You need to start investing!!!!”
My family was never really big into that. So it was not passed on to me. I fail to see why financial literacy cannot be taught at the HS level. Now there is a tax I would gladly pay...
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post

I think this would be true for the vast majority of retirees who have little in taxable savings and are mostly dependent on SS. They will likely have a lower tax rate once they stop working.

For high earners amassing large retirement portfolios, funding Roths can make sense, but you have to look carefully at your tax margin trade offs working versus retired.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Me neither. We put the majority of the money in our 401k/403b/457 plans when we were in the >35% federal marginal tax bracket (at one point 39.1%) and 7.5% state marginal tax bracket. I doubt we will ever see those rates again, so it was a win for us.