Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy & Shirley View Post
Is that a true statement?

Is this site restricted to the mega rich with a minimum of a 6 figure income and savings in the millions?
Nope, not at all. I ER'ed on quite a bit less than $1M about 7 years ago, and am not relying on future SS though, of course, the extra income will be welcome. This site has proved very instructive and useful.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Exactly, points and nits well taken. Just pointing out that a guesstimate of general positions based on reading a lot of posted positions here, bears out that while no one doesn’t want money they are entitled to, the handling of said money is certainly different and more decisively based on what matters, not the silly break even argument.

I’ve run FIRECALC for my situation both ways. Using $1M as a portfolio amount 60/40, with two non COLA pensions with SS starting at 25k at age 62, and again with an $850k portfolio but SS of $35k at 62. Basically using $150 k to fund an equal SS of $37k at 67, back calculated to $35 k at 62. Not even close. Dleaying is a far better income AND portfolio a erage balance and far higher success rate by delaying.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On a related analysis, doesn't Firecalc give basically the same results with running SS at various ages with the relevant payouts while keeping the portfolios the same?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

So much analysis and over analysis. You don’t know when you are going to die.
The government isn’t stupid. You aren’t beating their system. Mortality tables estimate the average age of death for men and women. It really doesn’t mean much of a total dollars difference when you take it. Take it early and you get more years of monthly checks. Wait and you get less checks but at a higher rate. It’s pretty much a wash. You are splitting hairs. Just relax and take it when you feel you need the money and be happy.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
The government isn’t stupid. You aren’t beating their system. Mortality tables estimate the average age of death for men and women. It really doesn’t mean much of a total dollars difference when you take it. Take it early and you get more years of monthly checks. Wait and you get less checks but at a higher rate. It’s pretty much a wash. You are splitting hairs. Just relax and take it when you feel you need the money and be happy.
Exactly >>> I could live well with out SS but I won't I will try to get every dime back I gave SS. LOL
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good practical advice above.

I would be more concerned about staying alive than about collecting SS. I am 74 and in good health (collecting SS since 64 years old). The problem is I see people around me dropping like flies at a much younger age. And some of them have been family.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:43 AM   #87
gone traveling

Quote:
It really doesn’t mean much of a total dollars difference when you take it.

It’s pretty much a wash.
That isn't always correct. For some families, it could mean hundreds of thousands of dollars difference.

If we were to choose to claim our benefits today rather than at 70, and both my wife and I live to 95, we would receive over $250k less than if we had waited.

Perhaps for some that's not much. For me, it's much.

If we both only live to 85, we still would receive over $70k less by claiming now.

For most (and particularly for a married couple), this isn't a decision to be made lightly.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:22 AM   #88
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
... It's like trying to Calculate your Break Even amounts on Fire Insurance, Medical Insurance....etc.
LOL, I do calculate my break-even on insurance... at least to the extent "if I raise my deductible from 1000 to 2000 I have to go 3 years without and accident to come out ahead..." type of break even.

MIMH
MoneyIsMyHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #89

Exactly. Some of those splitting hairs may be how the wealthy look at it. And if you are low income, most all from SS and single, then yes, it makes little difference on the average. But I would sure assume that everyone on this forum is way above average in education and wealth. Why would you asume that “its a wash” ? Thats like everyone pays the same percentage of taxes and recieve benefits up to $50k /yr, and then the taxes double after, with no benefit increase. So if you have 9 people that make $30k a year and one that makes $230k a year, on average make $50k/yr so everyone’s benefits should be adjusted so. I think the $230k/yr person might disagree that “its all a wash”, and we’re just splitting hairs. After all, it sounds great for 90% of the people.

There have been no changes to the rules of SS since about 1980. I think the actuarial data from 40 years ago might be a little dated so higher life expectancy will benefit those that have a better chance to see that which is typically higher income and better educated.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Haven't fully decided when to take SS yet, either 65/66 or wait longer. Did do the math on the GPO on DH pension. Not using COLAs (to keep it simple for my simple mind), he may be able to collect a spousal death benfit on my SS if I/we until 69 or 70 to collect.

Leaning towards collecting at 65 mostly for simplicity with medicare, but this could change and I'll wait till 66--but nothing further out.

We are going to be deferring a very small private pension held at the PBGC that he can inherit and that grows each year that it is not taken. That's where our deferral will happen.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #91

I'm taking the approach of my overall health. Right now it is pretty good, I'm 60 yr but I have a few health concerns. Not sure if anyone here is in perfect health. All it takes is a CT scan for instance, abdominal pain. They see just about everything on that scan. All of a sudden, a cyst here and there, a nodule on the lung, a lump...can be anything abnormal. Then what? Do you take action, or wait and see? Those darn scans open a can of worms. Some things were discovered on my CT scan that could shorten my life

That's why I think taking SS earlier than later works for me. I get it, SS is like a savings account that grows as you get older. But if you kick the bucket, you worked all those years and it cannot be passed into your estate. Yes, DS gets a portion. But passing the balance to charity or children, not going to happen. There are variables, will income surpass ACA benefits? Will income create much greater taxation? We're heading to tax accountant soon to analyze all this with the new tax code.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:20 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Good practical advice above.

I would be more concerned about staying alive than about collecting SS. I am 74 and in good health (collecting SS since 64 years old). The problem is I see people around me dropping like flies at a much younger age. And some of them have been family.
+1

I fully understand that many people with limited retirement means have to acquire and squeeze every dollar they can.

I am taking SS at 70 for several reasons. One is most of my ancestors lived into their late 80's and 90's. The few exceptions died of things that are much more easily treatable today. Another, is that the 'extra' SS money is part of my LTC plan. If I need LTC, the extra money will come if handy. If not, I can blow the dough!

Back in my mid to late 50's, over a period of five years, I lost 3 good friends to disease, and two more suffered life changing health problems. I also lost a very close relative who was younger than I. It's one of the reasons I decided to bail out a bit early and FIRE.

Fussing over the last dollar of SS benefits or getting upset that one won't break even is OK, just don't let it get in the way of life.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

I fully understand that many people with limited retirement means have to acquire and squeeze every dollar they can.

I am taking SS at 70 for several reasons. One is most of my ancestors lived into their late 80's and 90's. The few exceptions died of things that are much more easily treatable today. Another, is that the 'extra' SS money is part of my LTC plan. If I need LTC, the extra money will come if handy. If not, I can blow the dough!

Back in my mid to late 50's, over a period of five years, I lost 3 good friends to disease, and two more suffered life changing health problems. I also lost a very close relative who was younger than I. It's one of the reasons I decided to bail out a bit early and FIRE.

Fussing over the last dollar of SS benefits or getting upset that one won't break even is OK, just don't let it get in the way of life.

+1
For me it is all about the tax efficiencies and longevity, but NOT about whether I get back the monies I paid in and am entitled to.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #94

SS is actuarially neutral for an individual. Excluding most all other outside factors, it makes little difference when to start SS. Once you start including those outside factors and plans, there are significant differences. For example, a married couple's survivor's benefits, assuming a fair difference between earnings over their lifetime, certainly swing the pendulum into favoring delaying. That is, if you can afford to delay. That is because the average life expectancy of the last survivor of a couple is greater than an individual, which the SS does not consider in their numbers AFAIK. Another example is women. While it is generally accepted that the average woman lives longer than the average man, the SS doesn't differentiate in their calculations. Women, based on just being women, will automatically live longer than the SS's breakeven age.

In the end, we don't know when we will leave this earth (or become parts of it), what the market will do in the mean time, or any number of other variables. 100% accurate numbers cannot be calculated. We must take a few wild guesses and punt. When it comes down to individual experieinces, averages do not apply.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #95

Quote:
Based on this line of thinking.... Americans should only plan their retirement until the "average age of death for men and women".
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
SS is actuarially neutral for an individual. Excluding most all other outside factors, it makes little difference when to start SS. Once you start including those outside factors and plans, there are significant differences. For example, a married couple's survivor's benefits, assuming a fair difference between earnings over their lifetime, certainly swing the pendulum into favoring delaying. That is, if you can afford to delay. That is because the average life expectancy of the last survivor of a couple is greater than an individual, which the SS does not consider in their numbers AFAIK. Another example is women. While it is generally accepted that the average woman lives longer than the average man, the SS doesn't differentiate in their calculations. Women, based on just being women, will automatically live longer than the SS's breakeven age.

In the end, we don't know when we will leave this earth (or become parts of it), what the market will do in the mean time, or any number of other variables. 100% accurate numbers cannot be calculated. We must take a few wild guesses and punt. When it comes down to individual experieinces, averages do not apply.
While +1 for the last part, the first sentence is totally wrong. It is absolutely not actuarially neutral for an individual. It is neutral for a VERY large group. That’s how it works. Where you believe you fall in to the group is what should provide the path you take. A long genetically dispositioned lifed childless healthy active couple has a totally different take on it than a single overweight sedentary male with a family history of heart disease and cancer. But they are part of the same actuarial group. So no, it is not the same and make little difference which ever path you take. One can make intelligent decisions by basing it on the odds. One CAN still lose with a 10 to 1 for, but why would you bet that way?
Old 05-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
On a related analysis, doesn't Firecalc give basically the same results with running SS at various ages with the relevant payouts while keeping the portfolios the same?
I remember running my own numbers awhile back, and for me, it didn't make much difference whether I took SS at 62, 70, or anywhere in between. But, in my case, I'm hoping to be retired by age 51 at the latest, and will probably only be doing around 3% SWR. SS, when I do finally get it, is going to be a pretty small slice of the overall pie. As a result, when I decide to take it just doesn't have much bearing on anything else.

However, for someone who's going to be more dependent on it, when you take it will probably have a greater effect. And I think when you're married (I'm single), there are more variables.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #98

FRA (67) for me...since it will be spousal benefit, don't qualify on my own record.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
There have been no changes to the rules of SS since about 1980. I think the actuarial data from 40 years ago might be a little dated so higher life expectancy will benefit those that have a better chance to see that which is typically higher income and better educated.
One thing is a dead cert in all of these SS discussions. Lots of heat, very little light.

Ha
Old 05-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #100

Mwahahaha. You got that right.

For my personal circumstance the difference in income or success rate is significant enough higher by delaying that it is worth it. I run FIRECALC all the time, as an exercise in what if. For the same income my success rate is 88% file at 62 , 98% file at 67, 100% at 70. OR conversely I can choose a higher income from age 62 on for the same success rate by funding my own SS until I claim. About 7k/yr according to FIRECALC which seemed a little high to me. Everyone is unique, but not even close for me.