Brexit Paper Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think this is a one day event? I don't. Not enough fear yet to call an end to it. Too much confusion. No clarity. Redemptions will hit next week driving it down more. Just my opinion.

+1 I think we'll see more declines next week but I'm not sure whether it will be as bad as Jan/Feb (~11.5% drop based on S&P index) before things settle out.

1.5%...shielded by large deferred comp position and a large cash position from recent bonus payments and stock options sales.

To others comments:
1). Not that big a deal so far
2). This ain't over
3). To quote Caddy Schack: "They're all buying? Then sell sell! They're all selling? Then buy buy!" I went shopping yesterday and pulled forward my next 2 months of planned international purchases and a month's worth of QQQ. Down more this week and I will hit that button again.

Down $84K or around 2.5%; small caps and junk both took a hit as did Diversified International. Interesting that while FTSE was down 3% Germany was down 6, France and Japan down 8, and Italy down 12%. Sure looks like the markets expect larger impacts on trading partners instead of UK, itself.

Marc

Overall, down 2.4% for the day, but my VGK holding dropped below the 10% rebalance band, so I bought 100 shares.

Still up slightly for the year, even after the yearly 4% drawdown.

Down 2.16 % > right about 60K on a 50/50 portfolio.

international makes up about 9 % of our total portfolio.

PIMIX was down 0.50% yesterday, I thought it might do worse.

Anyway, staying the course as always.

You think this is a one day event? I don't. Not enough fear yet to call an end to it. Too much confusion. No clarity. Redemptions will hit next week driving it down more. Just my opinion.

+1

I bet this knocks the markets down another 8-12% before recovering (not as bad for US markets). It's the uncertainty regarding the other major EU members leaving that will keep it rough for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I couldn't resist and looked. Down 1.6%. My 50/40/10 split, combined with a bit of a concentration in dividend yielding stocks helped keep my losses in check. Of course, the reverse is true also - when the market soars I don't see as much gain as some of y'all.

No I don't. We're just coming off from the highs again. Still yawn. There is always something.

Last edited:
Index trackers: down 1.5%
Individual stocks: down 2.3% - due to arcelormittal plummeting 13%

Data in Euro.

Down 2.8%.... which happens to be my planned withdrawal for the year.
Still up (slightly) for the year.

I agree with Audrey that Jan/Feb were worse. But I expect it to continue down next week.

I have more than enough cash for the year... So I'm not moving any positions.

My int'l had been a little overweight - and I'd been thinking about rebalancing. It's almost exactly in balance now. Too funny.

Dang it. Made me look ! Was thinking ignorance is bliss.
-2.7% for the day, but I believe under -1.5 % for the week. Loses are no where near great enough to trigger defense mode.

In that UK wasn't on the euro, any idea when their currency will establish it's new basis? And I agree with those calling for a rapid conclusion to this 'divorce.' I've got a list of stocks I'm looking for a new entry point and a bond I'd like to figure out a profit exit on

Up 5%? Wow!

Double Wow, they must have been all in bonds, but they were only up 0.55%.

My VWIAX/VWENX mix performed as expected with a loss of 1.73%. The only model portfolio that came close was the Paul Merriman model which took a loss of 1.76% with more foreign exposure. I see the three fund VG portfolio's did not fare as well.

My VG portfolio with these two funds is about 50/50 and provides about 50% exposure to LCV equities, and provides a moderate standard deviation that I can sleep on. I know there are others out there with this same allocation. I feel fortunate to have moved to this allocation prior to my retirement this year.

Up less than a tenth of 1% Friday.. Up about 6% on year, and eagerly waiting big dividend dumps at end of next 2 months to goose my returns. This is why I own illiquid utility preferreds... It keeps the idiots, hot money chasers, mutual fund companies, and panic sellers out. Plus you cant meaningfully use margin on them. On Friday of my dozen or so issues less than 2,000 shares traded. One went up $15 on a 4 share trade, ha! I dont even count those as money and mostly mark to market around par (most are past call and considerably above par) except for the few liquid ones I own that actually trade daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Portfolio down about 3% Friday. I have a strong tilt toward international which bore the brunt of the losses. On the other hand, I was up considerably in the days leading up to the vote, so I pretty much just gave those gains back. Net net not a big deal - at least so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

In that UK wasn't on the euro, any idea when their currency will establish it's new basis? And I agree with those calling for a rapid conclusion to this 'divorce.' I've got a list of stocks I'm looking for a new entry point and a bond I'd like to figure out a profit exit on

Any conclusion is not going to be rapid. It's going to be a drawn out process.

I was down about 1.7% for the day. Three high-grade bond funds, which make up about 25% of my portfolio, were up slightly. The stock funds and the lower-grade bond fund were down to varying degrees.

What matters to me will be the monthly dividends the bond funds generate next week and the quarterly dividends my stock funds generate a week later in early July.

Thanks for asking. I was curious also and did gather balances after close 6/23/16 prior to drop. We dropped only .39% off a prior balance of 1,566,443 to 1,560,227 on Friday 6/24. Domestic Stock = 25%, Cash = 42%, Bonds = 12%, Fixed Return (5%) = 21%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom