Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Is Fidelity still giving complimentary TurboTax?
Hope so. The link usually appears in the next 30 days.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Is Fidelity still giving complimentary TurboTax?
They did last year, so fingers crossed....
Old 11-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I have done two transfers to Merrill Edge each for $200,000 and each earning a $1,000 bonus. Neither was reported as income.

Interesting. I looked at my YTD tax info on the Fido website and they include it as Misc Income.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

The IRS loves unreported income.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #25

As I understand it, a bonus to an IRA account is a gift. A bonus into a non-retirement account is taxable income.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
As I understand it, a bonus to an IRA account is a gift. A bonus into a non-retirement account is taxable income.
Good point. Although it seems any IRA bonus would be taxed at withdrawal.

I always got a 1099 tax form from a bank or CU for any type of cash bonus. Even once for a non-cash benefit!!!
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
When did you get this bonus? I recently moved amounts over to fidelity, and all I got was a 2 year free trade on only that account!

I'm going to call on monday and tell him, I'll take the hit on $60 in trading fees and move the money if he doesn't give me the 0.25% bonus. I'm quite upset. I even asked about cash bonuses, last month when I moved the money, and had been discussing the move for 10 months.
When I was there this week, she told me that they stopped paying bonuses on less than $1M. I think they might still offer some free trades.
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is not correct.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #29

We moved my spouses account, our Roths and a few joint accounts from Vanguard to Fidelity. I already had a size able account at Fido. We did this in May or June of this year and received a $2,500 transfer bonus. I had to ask the account rep for it and I verified that we received it. Maybe we got in just under the wire?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Brokerage New Account Bonuses
Old 11-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #30

Brokerage New Account Bonuses

Quote:

Bingo. My two transfers and bonuses were to IRA's and not reported as income, but will eventually be taxed, as RMD's deplete the account.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #31

Quote:

This is what my Fidelity rep hinted at.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Bingo. My two transfers and bonuses were to IRA's and not reported as income, but will eventually be taxed, as RMD's deplete the account.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Just to be clear, the signup bonuses are not a "gift". To make a gift an enterprise must intend to make a gift expecting nothing in return. Clearly, that is not the case here.

Brokerages seem to take various approaches to taxability of these. Their interpretations seem to change from year to year. I doubt there is clear authority on them to this point.

Having said that, I expect IRS would rule them taxable unless a case can be made successfully that they are merely a rebate of future commisions. Some brokerages make all such payments taxable. This is the wise approach IMHO.

If they are a rebate of future commissions, then they should be tax free no matter the account type. This does not seem the approach taken consistently

They are not dividends or interest that is taxable or tax free due to account type. This is because they are not dividends or interest. They are an incentive payment paid for transferring an account, not due to owning particular securities. The payment is actually earned by the account owner, not by the IRA. And paying it to an IRA does not make it tax free. It may instead be an excess contribution.

And lastly, I do not think you can take untaxed money and put it into a Roth, even if your brokerage thinks you can.

I expect there will be some guidance at some point.

FYI, I am not offering tax advice. Just think the question is interesting and not well understood.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #33

Quote:

This makes sense given that IRA withdrawals are all taxable income.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

And lastly, I do not think you can take untaxed money and put it into a Roth, even if your brokerage thinks you can.

I don’t think anyone here said the bonus was deposited tax-free into a Roth IRA.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
I don’t think anyone here said the bonus was deposited tax-free into a Roth IRA.
It was suggested that a bonus to an IRA is a "gift". If that were true, it would not be taxable even to an after-tax account, much less a Roth IRA.