Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Yes, and you have to remember that a lot of these people will have no jobs to go back to, once this is over. They are now estimating that about 1/3 of all restaurants/pubs will go out of business,
I'm not doubting that there's going to be a lot of impact from this calamity. But with regard to restaurants, living in resort areas has shown me that there are always someone else willing to open a restaurant. Doesn't matter how many ones have failed at a certain location, there will be a new one there next year. So I think that yes, many restaurants will close, but new ones will open up, especially if the gov't makes loans easy to get. And as far as the workers go, they'll still be working at a restaurant, just under a different name. That's what I hope, anyway.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Yes, and you have to remember that a lot of these people will have no jobs to go back to, once this is over. They are now estimating that about 1/3 of all restaurants/pubs will go out of business, along with a whole lot of travel-related jobs, and basically any jobs that involve larger groups of people getting together for anything (conventions, movie cinemas, music concerts, etc, etc). That is a tremendous amount of jobs that are just going to be lost, period. And all those people that are out of work will not be buying cars, will not be buying new homes, and on and on. Sure, they may eventually find new work, but it will take a long time. This is a big deal, folks, unlike any previous recession I have lived through.
Again, you are all dear and smart folks. I'm fortunate to be here. I'm also not Nostradamus version 2.0. And as stated previously, if I could tell the future, I'd be in Vegas tomorrow (though since air travel is impaired, I might have to walk there). And everybody's situation is different -- are you age 35, 58, 68, whatever? If I had retired yesterday with a 5% SWR, I might be sweating. YMMV.

But I just don't accept the negativity. When one is in the maelstrom, it always feels like this. Had this board existed on December 8, 1941, I wonder what the posts would have been. They might have been: (1) "US Pacific Fleet disabled, we're done for"; and (2) "a foreign invasion can be anticipated on the western coast of the United States." And those were common sentiments then, according to my parents, now deceased. They dimmed the lights in San Francisco for fear of an invasion.

If this Pandemic terrible? Yes. Is every death horrific? Yes. Have the United States' many faults now been laid bare such that we no longer look like the so-called developed nation we previously deemed ourselves to be? Yes.

But investing is about one's views about the future. For an insightful discussion of the appearance of markets in this context set against human civilization, see Harari, Y. "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind." In essence, stock market investments are about one's view of the future.

And I'm bullish about the future of humanity.

Next up for humanity: (1) artificial intelligence; (2) quantum computing; (3) advancements in health care; (4) the 2021 launch of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), which will replace the Hubble Space Telescope; and (5) a literal infinite number of other technological advancements that we mere mortals cannot even begin to contemplate tonight. The JWST, for example, is going to peer back into the very beginnings of the Universe. How cool is that? It will likely lead to advancements in quantum-related sciences, too, to the benefit of humanity.

So I'm happily continuing to invest.

I hope everybody is safe, healthy and following the advice of health experts. It's a serious situation, for sure. But I'm still investing.
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Long recovery
Old 04-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #83
Confused about dryer sheets

Long recovery

Took 25 years for stocks to recover from the Great Depression . I don’t know when down will end. Pretty confidant that we are at the beginning of down as the knock on effects are rolling out over the next quarter at least. Best thing is that it is an election year and money is going to be spent to moderate the drops but $1500 is one months rent at best.

15% unemployment and that’s just the beginning.
atxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Slow back to work
Old 04-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #84

Slow back to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
It could go either way and it all depends on how quickly people can start going back to work. If people are back to work by August then I think we have roughly seen the bottom (might retest it or go a little lower).

If people are stuck in quarantine for the rest of the year then look out below.
Given our current leadership I don’t expect it to be under control anytime soon. Too many back sliders. Ie Texas letting church’s hold services. Stupid in every way.

Won’t be under control until massive tracking and tracing is being done and all states have low levels of infection that stay under control. South Korea is at this point and still has new cases daily and new clusters.

Won’t be under control fully until a vaccine is widely available or 50% have had it. If we get to 50% 1 or 2 million will have died. Our leadership has been very slow to react, incompetent when they did and petty when possible.

Worst time to have bad leadership.
atxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxk View Post

Worst time to have bad leadership.
Yes, everyone from the state level on up has no real experience in something like this. But, then again, if we had other leadership, how do we know they (collectively) would handle this "better"?

OH,BTW, here in The Woodlands, Texas, all churches are not holding services, except online.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:26 PM   #86
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bear trap!
I see the S&P bottoming out at about 1800-2000 before it's all over.
Will be interesting to see.

*turns off crystal ball
Old 04-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingLife View Post
Again, you are all dear and smart folks. I'm fortunate to be here. I'm also not Nostradamus version 2.0. And as stated previously, if I could tell the future, I'd be in Vegas tomorrow (though since air travel is impaired, I might have to walk there). And everybody's situation is different -- are you age 35, 58, 68, whatever? If I had retired yesterday with a 5% SWR, I might be sweating. YMMV.

But I just don't accept the negativity. When one is in the maelstrom, it always feels like this. Had this board existed on December 8, 1941, I wonder what the posts would have been. They might have been: (1) "US Pacific Fleet disabled, we're done for"; and (2) "a foreign invasion can be anticipated on the western coast of the United States." And those were common sentiments then, according to my parents, now deceased. They dimmed the lights in San Francisco for fear of an invasion.

If this Pandemic terrible? Yes. Is every death horrific? Yes. Have the United States' many faults now been laid bare such that we no longer look like the so-called developed nation we previously deemed ourselves to be? Yes.

But investing is about one's views about the future. For an insightful discussion of the appearance of markets in this context set against human civilization, see Harari, Y. "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind." In essence, stock market investments are about one's view of the future.

And I'm bullish about the future of humanity.

Next up for humanity: (1) artificial intelligence; (2) quantum computing; (3) advancements in health care; (4) the 2021 launch of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), which will replace the Hubble Space Telescope; and (5) a literal infinite number of other technological advancements that we mere mortals cannot even begin to contemplate tonight. The JWST, for example, is going to peer back into the very beginnings of the Universe. How cool is that? It will likely lead to advancements in quantum-related sciences, too, to the benefit of humanity.

So I'm happily continuing to invest.

I hope everybody is safe, healthy and following the advice of health experts. It's a serious situation, for sure. But I'm still investing.
I too am bullish LONG TERM.........BUT....

We have a LOT of bad stuff that will happen between now and that bullish future.

IMHO, best to take off the table, and buy back in lower. Have patience, market will go down before it goes up again.

As long as one has the confidence to jump back in, there is the ability to improve ones financial position vs just holding on.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:27 AM   #88

"IMHO, best to take off the table, and buy back in lower. Have patience, market will go down before it goes up again."

Bulls eye!
coach02116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:37 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
It is both a new bull and we will retest.

Which is good, I need to keep nibbling on the lower prices.
I agree 100%. I am "nibbling" at these lower prices also.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

I predict social unrest, war and famine within 18 months. The world will slowly fall apart due to excess debt. A vaccine will be too late to undo the damage.

I know, I know...dark.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny View Post
I predict social unrest, war and famine within 18 months. The world will slowly fall apart due to excess debt. A vaccine will be too late to undo the damage.

I know, I know...dark.

:facepalm :
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I know, I know...dark.
So we should be swapping recipes for long pig?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
So we should be swapping recipes for long pig?
I'm not sure any recipe for that menu item would help. The imagery...
Old 04-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure any recipe for that menu item would help. The imagery...
Cut it into anonymous cubes and I am sure it tastes like chicken.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

If the US flattens the curve April 16 as projected market may start an overall improvement. The improvement may mean something like 3 days up, 2 down, or 4 days up 2 down; or we may have a few weeks of up, then one week down.

Who know though? No one.
Mountain skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain skier View Post
If the US flattens the curve April 16 as projected market may start an overall improvement. The improvement may mean something like 3 days up, 2 down, or 4 days up 2 down; or we may have a few weeks of up, then one week down.

Who know though? No one.
But that is the continuing question.
Will the market respond more so to the virus impact or the resulting economic impact?
Old 04-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here here!
No it's hear, hear.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
No it's hear, hear.
That's a mute point.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's a mute point.

I can foresee the future- we are on the brink of social breakdown, civil war, and swapping recipes for cannibalism. Yet, we are arguing over the proper use of there or their, the royal we, and proper use of it's or its...
Old 04-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-man View Post
You bring up a point that I think is crucial. And that is consumer behavior and sentiment when we get through the first wave of this deadly virus. Yes, there will be some pent-up demand, no doubt. But how many people are jumping on flights? How many going to concerts, to the movies, to packed theme parks? How about business conferences in convention centers? Family weddings, parties, even funerals. Anything that normally is an intimate affair with hand shaking, back slapping, high fiving and hugging? It's going to be a rough 6 months or so. I do believe in this nation. 1000%!! But we're in the soup for awhile until we figure out how to live in this new normal.
I don't plan on doing any of that until there's a vaccine!
PatrickA5 is online now   Reply With Quote