Join Early Retirement Today

Burned by condo-to-apartment conversion
Old 07-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Burned by condo-to-apartment conversion

Interesting article on those folks who bought condos that are now being turned into apartments.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13822980/
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Burned by condo-to-apartment conversion
Old 07-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sucks for the poor, poor speculators. :

Keep up the panic, guys. Gawd willing, I'll be able to buy that condo I've been hankering after somewhere in the southwest at a low, low price...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Sucks for the poor, poor speculators. :

Keep up the panic, guys. Gawd willing, I'll be able to buy that condo I've been hankering after somewhere in the southwest at a low, low price...
That's kinda the way I see it. I'd like to own a condo off a nice beach or in a desirable-weather area, but I'm not willing to pay $350k+ for one. Hopefully a combination of renters (who often bring down property values) and low rents will drive people to sell at fire sale prices....
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

This city (Tampa, as cited in the article) is going crazy with condos. It is said to be on the verge of becoming the next Atlanta, etc. The article cites suburban neighborhoods but the real test will be downtown and new, large waterfront developments. Trump, WCI, and Novares are all here and digging.

Too many units too fast and too expensive. But when it shakes down, there should be some good deals in perfect locations to pick up on the cheap, say in about 2009-2011, I'm guessing. Just in time for DW and me to downsize .

BTW, rumor has it that many of the buyers were investors looking to flip.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
"It's a tough business today," he said. "I don't think anybody predicted this."
Really? Wow.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We were investors in Arizona apartments that converted to condos. Our investment has been paid back in full and we are continuing to get distributions monthly from condo sales. The sales are far enough along that the units should sell out fully, but you never know. We did have some initial worries as to whether our buildings were early enough to the conversion game to pay off. As we were passive investors, it wasn't our call whether to do the conversion or not.

It would be yucky to be left owning a few apartments.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I had thought that pretty much any building in the Seattle area that could be converted had been, but recently my younger son and DIL were offered a move-out bonus if they would relinquish their lease and get out in 2 weeks. So it sounds like their management is trying to get it while they think the getting is good.

This is a very marginal building to convert. Excellent location, but small and old building and units.

Ha
Old 07-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #8

within the last two years broward county (fort laud area) lost 25% of its rental stock. reversion would not have been hard to predict.

doc, one day you'll see a megatropolis stretching tampa to orlando.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

The conversions led to a reduction of 18,000 rental units in 2005 and an occupancy rate of 98 percent, according to the commercial real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield.

The result is predictable. Apartment rents have soared dramatically, rising $200 to $300 a month for some renters this year. Because many of these investors will be renting out their units, Markstein said, the inventory will swell again, and competition will force rental rates down.

OK, I'm no real estate expert, but that's never stopped me from having an off-the-wall opinion before:

Complexes are being converted into condos. The condos are bought by "investors", and they sit empty while the "investors" try to flip the condo. The net effect is that thousands of apartments were emptied out and the renters were left looking for a place to live in a "tight" rental market. Meanwhile, more condos/apartments were built by other speculators, so there's a glut of low-quality housing inventory that just hasn't hit the rental market yet. In the long run, there's going to be more units than people to live in them. The flippers are the ones holding empty condos that they can't/won't rent out.

I don't know, but it seems like if I were one of these small-time single-unit buying investors, I am a goldfish swimming amongst great whites. Guess who gets eaten alive?
slepyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Every glut becomes a shortage, every shortage becomes a glut. ( With the possible exception or oil and gas.)

IMO, it's not that small speculators can't win, but that dumb speculators can't win, at least not over time.

Ha
Old 07-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Lazy
They were talking about building that bullet train. Although I havent heard anything lately. I know its starts in Orlando and the plan was to go northwest ?

They were walking around the neighborhood with signs for the local condo conversion and have now have buyers specials. No closing costs etc.
They have had articles in the paper about some of the condo conversions being older buildings were the condo fees would have to be raised to bring the buildings into better quality.

Rob
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote