Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, call me dumb (no wait, don't! ), but anyway here's what I think:

(1) FUEGO is right, this guy's an example of stealth wealth. I'm happy for the guy that he is making lots of money and even more, that he is employing lots of people. Jobs are pretty valuable today and I'm happy that so many people are working for this guy.

(2) Senator is right, that FUEGO should make sure the title transferred out of his name. In fact, that is something that most people should do for most informal car sales in the 21st century. None of us live in Mayberry RFD any more.

(3) I don't see what all of you are arguing about. It must be the hot weather is getting to some of us.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I would be willing to be not many taxes are paid out of all of the 30 crews. He paid cash. I would also believe that 30 crews may be a exaggeration, or all 30 crews are somewhat independent and only loosely in the same company.

It is a huge red flag for a business to be in paying cash. I would doubt that he has any legitimate business. Transactions for many people that evade taxes is done in cash. He and/or his family may also be on public assistance and do not report the cash.

He did not have much money, maybe it was a negotiation tactic? That is the same way it is in Mexico. You almost need exact change even in a restaurant.

Make sure the transfers the registration to his name. You may find that it never gets transferred. In MN, not only is the buyer supposed to register the vehicle, the seller is required to report the transfer.

What about the part of him working for the large home builders and doing most of the work They do not work on cash... they file the 1099s and other required legal docs...
Old 06-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Maybe it is because I work for a mega-corp bank, and have a lot of interactions with the anti-money laundering area, the red flags pop up all over on this one.

Or maybe because I used to deal with many people in my low-income and section 8 landlord days that had many sources of 'tax free' income, that I jump to conclusions.

I applaud people that can do it and take home more. That is the natural way of business. Major US firms do it too, except they call it an inversion.
Usually those of the workers of someone like the OP described... not the buyer of the van...
Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Folks - the point of this post was that a guy who was buying the truck was more successful than he first appeared. Stealth wealth.

How this morphed to somehow this guy is sketchy shows how quick we are to judge when someone's image doesn't fit our preconceived stereotype.
+1
Old 06-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
(1) FUEGO is right, this guy's an example of stealth wealth. I'm happy for the guy that he is making lots of money and even more, that he is employing lots of people. Jobs are pretty valuable today and I'm happy that so many people are working for this guy.
(3) I don't see what all of you are arguing about. It must be the hot weather is getting to some of us.
I find it inconceivable that this buyer has over 100 drywallers/painters working for him, and runs everything with cash. Therefore, I highly doubt he is making "lots of money" (or if he is, it's not in legitimate ways), and I highly doubt he is employing "lots of people". That is why I bothered to post.

It would be no different if a 9 year old went to school with some object they claimed to build, and everyone marveled at how ingenious and talented the child was....when, to another observer, it looks like a 99.9% chance that the child simply bought it off of ebay and never made it, due to a number of things that appear almost 'guaranteed obvious'.

Some people blindly extend credence beyond a reasonable doubt to many people they meet. Others are more reserved and cautious, and sometimes see obvious inconsistencies in some things.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Folks - the point of this post was that a guy who was buying the truck was more successful than he first appeared. Stealth wealth.

How this morphed to somehow this guy is sketchy shows how quick we are to judge when someone's image doesn't fit our preconceived stereotype.
It's called wisdom and experience. What good is knowledge and learning things if it never counts for anything? Prejudiced? You can also call it knowledge and experience or why bother?

Criminal and unethical behavior are responsible for as much wealth as "righteous" Smithian capitalism and hard work. Maybe more
Old 06-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

My god but you people are exhausting.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
+1
Old 06-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
+2

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

+3

I hate it when stereotypes are used to bolster prejudices. [mod edit]
Old 06-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

It reminds me of the crew that framed our home built by a mid size semi custom builder. Only one guy on the crew was fluent in English. I was impressed how easily they dealt with our colonial measurement system when the USA failed/refused going metric. The prime contractor told us they were his most productive crew. When the other crews went home they kept working and used generators after dark. They were paid by the job, not by the hour. They all bought their bag lunches from one of the wives of the crew. Construction is strong right now but these guys probably won't work year round (here in the mid Atlantic) and may be looking for odd jobs in the Home Depot parking lot next month. I don't think you can extrapolate annual revenue so easily for a seasonal business. So much for stealth....we asked them to give us a quote to finish our basement and the guy rolls up in a $50k diesel pickup ( in 1999).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
+3

So soon? I just fired up the popcorn machine...
Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
+3

What stereotypes are you referring to? It seems like you may have a bias?

I think the issue was cash transactions for a $10+ million dollar company, vs. someone that is truly stealthily wealthy.

Does a stealthily wealthy person act in the manner illustrated?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 06-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #54
Administrator

Closed Thread