Join Early Retirement Today

Buying Flights - What if airline goes BK?
Old 03-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Buying Flights - What if airline goes BK?

There are some fabulous, cancellable flight options available currently. Does anyone know what happens to your money, and ability to get where you're going, if you buy tickets, and then the airline goes bankrupt prior to your flight?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As I recall, when Braniff went belly up, you were SOL. I surmise you would be on the lowest level of claims in a Bankruptcy.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
As I recall, when Braniff went belly up, you were SOL. I surmise you would be on the lowest level of claims in a Bankruptcy.
DW was on a trip when Skybus went belly up. The credit card she bought tickets with refunded her money.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Your fare is an unsecured loan... and if they go BK you may have to pay again to get where you want to go. Not long ago the UK government tried to rescue stranded travelers after Thomas Cook went pear shaped, but no help at all for those not yet embarked.
Dogpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you pay direct you are an unsecured creditor, which means you may get some or (unlikely) all of your money back sometime in the distant future when the BK is settled.

If you pay with a credit card, the card issuer should refund your payment fairly quickly.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #6

You know what would be the cherry on top. Mother nature wreaking havoc with rains and floods. Didn't I read this in a book somewhere once?
Old 03-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpeace View Post
Your fare is an unsecured loan... and if they go BK you may have to pay again to get where you want to go. Not long ago the UK government tried to rescue stranded travelers after Thomas Cook went pear shaped, but no help at all for those not yet embarked.
11 U.S.C. Sec 507(a)(7) gives a priority of up to $2775 for consumers who have paid a deposit for goods or services not delivered by the debtor. So, your claim comes after secured creditors, administrative expenses and certain higher priority claims, but its is not as bad as a general unsecured creditor.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
You know what would be the cherry on top. Mother nature wreaking havoc with rains and floods. Didn't I read this in a book somewhere once?
Don't forget the frogs, flies, gnats, locusts, etc.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I usually have already drunk them even before I pay for them.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote