Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Backup cameras are trivial to add to older vehicles.

Blind spot monitoring (the closest I've come to an accident that would have been my fault) can be added professionally for ~$1000.

If I drove extensively on highways adaptive cruise control would be worth paying for a newer vehicle.

Here is one vendor offering safety upgrades for older vehicles:

http://www.blindspotsolution.com
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Difficult to put a price on an injury that could be avoided or lessened with better safety features. I would not go without blindspot detection now that Ive had it and am comfortable with it. Its not on my current rental and MAN do i miss it.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #23

In some cases the new gadgets are a great reason to get a new car. Back up cameras are improving every year, as well as sensors, remote entry, etc.

But you also can order a car with the basics. Might not be on the lot, might be you have to wait a few months if there's none nearby, but can be done. Try building online to see where you can pick and choose options and take only what you want (I hate the way they package everything, but some let you go more ala carte.)

When I was shopping for my new car the way I built it online was about $5k less than any single one within an 800 mile radius. I was set to wait for about 3 months while it was ordered to spec, but then found a 1 year old used version that made it slightly cheaper (and was, most importantly, the right color scheme too.)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I love my back up camera on my 2015 vehicle, especially when I need to back out of a parking spot and two Vans/trucks/big SUV's have parked beside me.

The camera can see a wide view once it's inches past the edge of the two blocking vehicles. No more pray and backup for me
Old 11-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #25

Oh, c’mon.

Most of the “new tech” relates to safety and better fuel, ignition, and transmission interactions.

Learning how to press a touch button vs one that “click” is hardly a daunting issue.

Remember how shocked our grandparents were with electric windows? Power seats? All that tech?
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Learning how to press a touch button vs one that “click” is hardly a daunting issue.
Pressing is not the problem, finding is, when the driver's eyes are supposed to be on the road. It's an interface lacking tactile feedback, and one that is modal, both long considered to be bad design.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #27

Yeah ... think how hard and dangerous it was to roll those windows up!

Seriously, managing equipment isn’t a big deal, but does require practice and sometimes even training.

I’ve made my mind up ... to keep up.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Pressing is not the problem, finding is, when the driver's eyes are supposed to be on the road. It's an interface lacking tactile feedback, and one that is modal, both long considered to be bad design.
I agree. Many simple functions have been made needlessly hard to access without taking your eyes off the road.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
+1

As of a few days ago we now have two 2018 vehicles. The Honda Pilot we bought new last year. It has a touch screen for a lot of the infotainment features. Totally sucks - try tapping on a small spot on a touch screen in a moving car while watching the road.

This week I bought a used 2018 Audi A4. It also has a large screen in the middle, which is NOT a touch screen. Everything is still controlled by physical switches and dials. And looking around the showroom, the controls are standard across all of the Audis. A MUCH better solution.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

An '06 Camry is a great car. Only you can decide whether side airbags are worth the upgrade. I'm sure there are late-model Camrys that have side airbags without all the extra technology.

My wife's '18 Camry Hybrid is amazing to drive, but it has remarkably little cockpit technology compared to similar cars. My new '19 4Runner is also extremely old-school on the tech - no driver assists at all. Vey limited entertainment tech too. I even had to add an aftermarket front camera.

I think of all the manufacturers, Toyota is among the weakest tech-wise; but they are one of the best-built problem-free cars out there. For those manufacturers who can't compete on quality, adding new technology is a great way to add perceived value and differentiate your product. [I'm thinking of my wife's confounding '16 Ford Focus]

Personally, I prefer less onboard tech over more. I don't need any driver assistance; and much prefer to use my iPhone over my car's built-in navigation. Siri works so much better when driving. Just bluetooth and Apple car play and I'm all set.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
...I still prefer to drive the car unaided and when driving his sometimes feel tempted to relax a bit because the gadgets are "watching over things for me."
i've been saying the same thing...."i don't need to pay attention 'cuz the car will save me". unless those features can be disabled one way or another i have no interest in a new car. we have an '03 wrangler and a '10 liberty that are in great shape so no need for anything new.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:43 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Well we love the safety features on our 2019 SUV. The back up camera and the side protection alert in the back of the car especially comes in handy, since most of the parking here is in strip type store places and can get fenced in with large trucks.
The blind spot monitoring is another useful feature.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:02 AM   #33

I didn't realize it til after the night after I drove off the lot with my 2019 Tacoma, that several "standard" features were only available on the next marketing level. I have no key fob (only drivers door has a lock, which requires a key) no intermittent wipers, (they're on, off, or fast) and no automatic lights ( you must turn on DRL, parking, and driving lights with a switch, but they have auto shut off, and auto dimming high beams.)
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
An '06 Camry is a great car. Only you can decide whether side airbags are worth the upgrade. I'm sure there are late-model Camrys that have side airbags without all the extra technology.

My wife's '18 Camry Hybrid is amazing to drive, but it has remarkably little cockpit technology compared to similar cars. My new '19 4Runner is also extremely old-school on the tech - no driver assists at all. Vey limited entertainment tech too. I even had to add an aftermarket front camera.

I think of all the manufacturers, Toyota is among the weakest tech-wise; but they are one of the best-built problem-free cars out there. For those manufacturers who can't compete on quality, adding new technology is a great way to add perceived value and differentiate your product. [I'm thinking of my wife's confounding '16 Ford Focus]

Personally, I prefer less onboard tech over more. I don't need any driver assistance; and much prefer to use my iPhone over my car's built-in navigation. Siri works so much better when driving. Just bluetooth and Apple car play and I'm all set.
For me, the '06 Camry (and that vintage of Toyota) is much more comfortable than any of the newer Toyotas. The newer Toyotas have much harder seats, and much stiffer suspensions (for better handling) than the older models. This may not be real apparent on a short test drive, but after several hours behind the wheel I need to get out. And this is the case all through the model line up including the Avalon. It's a shame because mechanically they are great vehicles. And I'll take the ergonomics of the older models over the new ones also. To set a clock on the older ones, right next to the clock is one small button to set the hour and one to set the minute. On the newer ones, you have to scroll through some non-intuitive menu to find it.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:53 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
That doesn't apply to side airbags which I think are a great idea and often lacking in cars from the 00's let alone older vehicles. I have backup sensors but some of the rental cars I've had have actual backup camera which I would love to have. And adaptive cruise control I've experienced is another feature that I'd like.
I know...that's why I added the note "that was sarcasm"

As for backup sensors and cameras, in my opinion they're actually a side effect of vehicle design, moreso than an advantage. I've driven tons of older cars, where you have great visibility all around, can see all four corners of the car, see most of what's behind you, etc. But nowadays, with the prevalence of SUVs and crossovers, and trucks, and even things like thick roof pillars, high decklids, and back seat headrest in cars, visibility, especially to the rear, has gotten horrible.

I think backup cameras are actually required by law on new vehicles these days. I'm not sure what year that started, but it seems like everything, down to the cheapest throwaway cars, tend to have them. So that's one feature that you'll probably end up getting eventually, whether you want it or not?

What is adaptive cruise control like? I've never had it, as far as I know, at least. It's been awhile since I've used cruise control. I don't go on long highway trips that often, and the few times I do, I tend to forget the cruise control is there!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I don't know if this is the right forum for this but here goes. We have a perfectly good car in a 2006 Toyota Camry. In great shape. All the gadgets and new tech in new cars are deterring me from considering a new one. Also the cost of repairs because of the tech are more costly to fix. The only issue is that we do not have side airbags in our current car. What are others ideas about buying newer cars?
Drive your current car into the ground.
mrfeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #37

I'll drive our 2002 Toyota Camry over our 2019 Hyundai Sonata SEL. I continue to look both ways, continue to use reviews to back up and parallel park. The only comfort is the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. Even the beeps and electronic warnings can be ignored if you're half asleep or reckless. I do enjoy SeriusXS (?).

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Drive your current car into the ground.
+1 - I am still driving a Camry 1998 with 230K+ miles.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

In sticking with my German Car fetish. I like the new VW Tiguan SEL (or Premium). I am not into hybrids or electrics.... yet. So BMW may be dissed this time round, roll on September 2020. Unfortunately I am not an American car fan at all, I only lease cars now, and American Re-Sale (Residuals) car prices are in the toilet, and have been for the last 20 years, at least the ones I would want anyway.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
What is adaptive cruise control like? I've never had it, as far as I know, at least. It's been awhile since I've used cruise control. I don't go on long highway trips that often, and the few times I do, I tend to forget the cruise control is there!
ACC senses (cameras see) the car in front of you and slows down your car to maintain your distance. The following distance is variable according to how you set it. Very helpful in stop & go traffic, rush hour & all. I use it all the time
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote