Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Waiting on invitation from CarMax to do a commercial.
Forget it. I drove the same Dodge for 20 yrs and Chrysler doesn't even know my name!
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #42

I am not convinced by either commercial to purchase a Caddy or Ford EV. Ford is also targeting Honda buyers with commercials depicting reasons to switch from Honda to Ford.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I saw the Cadillac commercial on TV for the first time, I actually thought it was a parody, and expected the final scene to show mourners dressed in black around a casket at his funeral. It wasn't until the end that I realized that it was a real commercial for Cadillac. It was so far out I just couldn't see how any company would see this kind of life as a desirable thing. As for the Ford commercial, sure it was a bit cheesy and over the top in the opposite direction, but that was what they were shooting for I am guessing. I have to admit, I was disgusted by the GM commercial. I think Ford did a good job making fun at it.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I think that both commercials did a good job catering to each brand's demographics, which are obviously quite different.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
When I saw the Cadillac commercial on TV for the first time, I actually thought it was a parody, and expected the final scene to show mourners dressed in black around a casket at his funeral. It wasn't until the end that I realized that it was a real commercial for Cadillac. It was so far out I just couldn't see how any company would see this kind of life as a desirable thing. As for the Ford commercial, sure it was a bit cheesy and over the top in the opposite direction, but that was what they were shooting for I am guessing. I have to admit, I was disgusted by the GM commercial. I think Ford did a good job making fun at it.
I thought it was going to be some kind of parody at first, too. I kept waiting for the punchline.

I was wondering if they were trying to send an anti-ER kind of message. Many people who post here are in their demographics assets or income-wise, and many can surely afford to ER and buy luxury cars, too, but overall wealthy people choosing to buy time freedom instead working more hours or years and making more money has to cut into luxury good makers' profit margins.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I saw the Cadillac commercial on TV for the first time, I actually thought it was a parody, and expected the final scene ... .
Now I recall, when I first saw it I was expecting a punch-line. It reminded me of that one a few years ago, where the guy is cutting his well groomed lawn with a shiny new riding mower, in front of a nice looking suburban home, with a couple new cars in the driveway, and he's talking about all the 'stuff' he has, and then at the end, almost tearfully, "And I'm up to my eyeballs debt - heeeeelp!!!".

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #47

Quote:
I thought the pool was pretty nice.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #48

Quote:
When I saw the Cadillac commercial on TV for the first time, I actually thought it was a parody, and expected the final scene to show mourners dressed in black around a casket at his funeral. It wasn't until the end that I realized that it was a real commercial for Cadillac. It was so far out I just couldn't see how any company would see this kind of life as a desirable thing.
I hear you. I had similar reaction and was quite put off by it. For sure, I won't be buying any caddy.

IMO, nothing dents future RE fund like buying an expensive, luxury car. Besides the car's cost, it has higher gas mileage, maintenance cost, and insurance fees. It's like giving up 1 - 3 years of RE for a device that gets you from one place to another. But that's LBYM in me.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I am truly astounded, people actually watch car commercials, pay attention to them and debate their merits. Whaddaya do allday?

OTOH couple of months ago DW decided she needed a new car. Went off to replace her perfecly functioning, prisitine looking but seven year old Buick with another Buick.

She came home with a Cadilac CTS. Go figure.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I am truly astounded, people actually watch car commercials, pay attention to them and debate their merits. Whaddaya do allday?

OTOH couple of months ago DW decided she needed a new car. Went off to replace her perfecly functioning, prisitine looking but seven year old Buick with another Buick.

She came home with a Cadilac CTS. Go figure.
Do you think the ad did it?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Do you think the ad did it?
Having just watched James Randi elaborate on academics, I'd have to say that at this time I have insufficient data to perform proper statistical analysis of the number of commercials in toto that she watched, how many of those were Cadillac v Ford v Lamborghini or Maserati and did she actually pay attention to them, and read all the requisite fine print and comprehend associated 200 mph fast talk af the needed disclosures required by the FTC, or did she succomb to various subliminal meesages embedded in every commercial's messages, for me to draw a potentially invalid conclusion.

In short: I have't a clue.

But she loves SciFI if that matters.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I always thought that I would like to have a US luxury vehicle. And it happened. I got a Lincoln as a company vehicle for one year. That cured me. Even more so, during that same year, when I got to test drive a Toyota Avalon and then a Lexus (forget which model). The Lincoln did not even come close...not even with it's air conditioned leather seats! Lemon from day one and I learned that the depreciation in years one and two were massive. I quickly lost all desire for a US label luxury vehicle.

And I was able to relate to those Lincoln adds a year or so ago that essentially said their previous cars were crap but now the 'New Lincoln Company" vehicles were well made!

Did not convince me though.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #53

I would think that the arrogant jerk portrayed in the Cadillac ad would be much more likely to buy a Cadillac Escalade (luxury gas-guzzling SUV) than an ELR plug-in hybrid, n'est-ce pas?
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Once upon a time. very long ago Lincoln made good looking cars, they were highway version of boats. IMHO nowdays Lincoln is competing with the Pontiac Aztec in looks, elegance and charm department.

I know nothing about any generation of Lincoln's reliability.

So far DW's CTS has been flawless, and all services are included in the priginal purchase price to 100K miles, or I think 5 years. Great for me, one less set of wheels to worry about. I really do like my 95 Jaguar XJ6 which I got for less than 10 cents on the dollar, used of course. Puts a grin on face eavery time I get in it.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
You've got to admire the acting. It is acting, y'know
Yes its acting and I got a kick out of the Cadillac commercial, the attitude 'we got bored on the moon'. Now in real life I don't like attitude, but I see humor in commercials.

A commercial won't get me to buy either vehicle. DW had a new Escape that Ford bought back from us, at full price, a lemon. They technically didn't have to give us full price, but they did.

It was a lemon, the only problem we had was the original dealership. When we went to another Ford dealership, they immediately gave us all the information needed to document the issues.

The dispute process very interesting. I was allowed to sit in the internal discussion, not allowed to say anything more, as I had presented my case. Have to say they were fair.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
IMO, nothing dents future RE fund like buying an expensive, luxury car. Besides the car's cost, it has higher gas mileage, maintenance cost, and insurance fees. It's like giving up 1 - 3 years of RE for a device that gets you from one place to another. But that's LBYM in me.
You missed the point of the commercial. He wasn't in danger of failing to meet his RE goals. He had won the game and was just buying "stuff" because he could afford it.

To him, this was akin to buying a new book vs. waiting for it to show up at the library. You don't need to sweat about expenses that are (relative) pocket-change.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
You missed the point of the commercial. He wasn't in danger of failing to meet his RE goals. He had won the game and was just buying "stuff" because he could afford it.

To him, this was akin to buying a new book vs. waiting for it to show up at the library. You don't need to sweat about expenses that are (relative) pocket-change.
Bingo.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post

Sorry, I was off topic on my response. I was just making a general statement on RE and not the commercial.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #59

Just commenting on car ads in general: I think many commercials are going nuts with the high speed and dangerous driving. I think these ads are very bad and portray the wrong image to the younger crowd. I remember when it was a no-no to mention the other manufacturer in a commercial. As someone said, many of the ads I just don't get. Over my head you could say. Guess it's my age. What ever happened to "See the USA in your Chevrolet". I miss those kind of commercials.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

I like the Cadillac commercial. Work hard, play hard.
UnderTheRadar is offline   Reply With Quote