Calculating overall portfolio expenses.

Frankie1926

Dryer sheet aficionado
Need advice on how to calculate overall portfolio fund expenses, I must have 15 or 20 funds with various balances.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It will just be a weighted average of the fund level expense ratios plus any account level fees. What is your purpose for doing this calculation and what will you use it for?

This is easily done with Morningstar Instant X-ray tool or the Vanguard Portfolio Watch tool.

The M* tool is easily found; the Vanguard tool requires you to be a client.

There is also the free tool Personal Capital, which I signed up for and have been enjoying. You just have to fend off a couple of calls asking to manage your money but they aren't obnoxious about it.

Column a, enter fund names. Column b enter $ balances. Column c enter expense ratio. Column d is b times column c.
SUM column c to get total expenses.

Column a, enter fund names. Column b enter $ balances. Column c enter expense ratio. Column d is b times column c.
SUM column c to get total expenses.

better yet =SUMPRODUCT(column b, column c) will get total expenses. But I think the weighted average expense ratio is more relevant and that would be =SUMPRODUCT(column b, column c)/SUM(column b).

Thanks for the excel formulas, I will give it a whirl on a rainy day.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom