Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:30 AM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is difficult to speculate on a bottom. I think it depends if more bad news comes to light.

I think the current prices reflect known problems. The problem right now is that hedge funds are being forced to sell.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #262
Give me a forum ...

All this talk about bottoms is making me horny. Why don't we talk about tops for a while and bother the uptown men?

Ha
Old 11-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
All this talk about bottoms is making me horny. Why don't we talk about tops for a while and bother the uptown men?
Ha
I'd like to talk about halter tops........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #264
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

both my newsletters last night changed their outlook to a lower bottom than yesterday's intraday low and what they had as last week

The Big Picture blog is running a story of how we went below the triangle bottom we've been building and will go lower again. they even have a nice chart but they stretch things with their theory
Old 11-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
from wikipedia
A Ninja Loan is a type of subprime loan issued to borrowers with No Income, No Job, (and) no Assets.
Just about every day since this subprime credit stuff surfaced I have been amazed that the financial industry would do this to itself.

What were they thinking?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #266

same thing as when they gave these same types of loans to third world countries in the 1970's and 1980's and telecoms in the 1990's. only difference now is that joeblow finally got some free money from the banks
Old 11-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #267
Moderator Emeritus

After yesterday's rally from lows, and now today doing the same thing, I'm starting to think we might really have a solid floor to this market. I'm not expecting us to be off to the races, but every dip is now seen as a buying opportunity vice a sign of trouble by the cash on the sidelines now.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #268
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
After yesterday's rally from lows, and now today doing the same thing, I'm starting to think we might really have a solid floor to this market. I'm not expecting us to be off to the races, but every dip is now seen as a buying opportunity vice a sign of trouble by the cash on the sidelines now.
Laurence, tell me you aren't a technician too!

Quote:
Well you fixed that!

Ha
Old 11-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #269
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Laurence, tell me you aren't a technician too!

Ha
LOL! No, not at all. This thread is just idle speculation for most of us, right? The only thing I've changed is doubling my weekly DCA into the market over the last couple of months.

I guess it just takes a failed car company or three for this market level to seem like a pleasant memory.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #270

i've been getting 2 newsletters for the last month or so. both are technical and both are right on. one is a little more long term and if you take their position then you make more than the market up or down. i'm dumping this one.

the other one has trade triggers with up and down targets once or twice a week and if you follow them you can make very nice profits. few days ago they had 822 target for the SP500 and last night's edition is a 967 target for the SP in the near term.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #271
Moderator Emeritus

Is this a covered call, leaps and puts type thing? A coworker does that, it seems like a lot of work with more risk than it initially seems. I'm going to have to check out how it's working for him.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #272

no options

www.elliottwavetechnology.com they have free articles on safehaven and some other websites a few days or a week after the paid subscribers get them. been looking at them for a year or so and they are very good. not 100% perfect and sometimes things change fast over a day but you can outperform the indexes with them.

they have different time strategies from daily trades to holding periods of months and highlight each one every day. twice a week you get a large issue with long term charts and covering oil, gold and the dollar. three times a week you get smaller issues covering the major indexes.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Just about every day since this subprime credit stuff surfaced I have been amazed that the financial industry would do this to itself.

What were they thinking?
This is like the loan your give your kids - only these commonly become "gifts".
Old 11-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

If it keeps going down... We will all owe the brokers when the market goes negative. Any calls for -100?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Have I ever mentioned that I hate the stock market?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Have I ever mentioned that I hate the stock market?
No, is this a new revelation/revolution?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #277
Recycles dryer sheets

I was standing after the shower looking in the mirror with a mirror behind me, and I found the bottom. Why didnt' someone tell me my ass was so big!!!!!!!!

jug
Old 11-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Market up, market down - should I be calling Vanguard to make sure 'THE' computer rebalancing my balanced index is still plugged in?

With all this excitment - wouldn't want to find out someone left me without electricity. Right?

Part of the problem is - even though I understand stay the course - and know the SEC yield is sufficient for my retirement - I keep looking.

Probably comes from watching too many Saint's 4th quarters over thirty years.

heh heh heh -
Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #279
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
I was standing after the shower looking in the mirror with a mirror behind me, and I found the bottom.
Bad news for you, cause when there's a turn around, you'll still just be looking at the bottom!

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #280
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
I was standing after the shower looking in the mirror with a mirror behind me, and I found the bottom. Why didnt' someone tell me my ass was so big!!!!!!!!

jug
So tell, tell--is the bottom a V shape or a W?
Closed Thread