Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #241
Full time employment: Posting here.

My broker yesterday stated that he doesn't think things could go below 7200---something about the companies being valued exactly at their amount (their assets like buildings). We will see if his MBA in economics results in an accurate prediction!

I was trying to google 7200 and stumbled upon an article from May 5, 1997 that said the Dow set a new record: 7200! What a difference eleven years can make: jubilant at 7200, despondent at 7200.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #242
Recycles dryer sheets

Gotadimple: Thanks, I read the testimony.

The source of his "this time it's different" scenario is the explosion of credit that started decades ago, causing a "super bubble" that by turns engulfed and inflamed all other facets of financial life.

I view this as a somewhat similar argument to the gold and bullets crowd's denouncement of our fall off the gold standard. But there's no going back now, either to gold or to life before credit. We will not be back to "ninja loans" any time in the next 30 years, but we will be back to life as we view as normal one day. Indeed, the Fed is now focused on pumping credit back into consumer hands by any means necessary.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #243
Recycles dryer sheets

Culture, just because everyone is selling a stock and no one is buying, hence the price of the stock goes down, it does not mean that the company is going bankrupt. The health of a company and the price of its stock as traded publicly can be (and often is) entirely disconnected.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #244
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grep View Post
Culture, just because everyone is selling a stock and no one is buying, hence the price of the stock goes down, it does not mean that the company is going bankrupt. The health of a company and the price of its stock as traded publicly can be (and often is) entirely disconnected.
Grep,

Certainly correct. What I was jokingly referring to is that if the market keeps falling, eventually everyone will go out of business because it takes customers to stay in business.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #245
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

market is up

good chance this was finally the bottom, and i'm dumping one of my idiot newsletters this week
Old 11-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
I fear it really is different this time

Dow just went under the closing low on Oct. 10
And bounced off of it like a rubber ball.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #247

will probably check up on Dow Theory

Dow made a new closing low, but not intraday low. wonder if that's enough based on historical record or if it needs to make a new intraday low
Old 11-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #248
Recycles dryer sheets

So was the bottom today at about 1:45 pm??

Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #249
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Up 550 today. Incredible. I'm glad I was out playing golf and didn't see it dip below 8,000.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #250

Just means it will go down 600 tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
So was the bottom today at about 1:45 pm??
That was right about when I was buying some BRKB at 3155 and some GE at about 14.70...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #252
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That was right about when I was buying some BRKB at 3155 and some GE at about 14.70...

OK Ziggy- Next time, you need to tell me when its time to buy!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
OK Ziggy- Next time, you need to tell me when its time to buy!
Unless he's buying oil........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Unless he's buying oil........
Actually, he'd still want to know that -- in order to short it...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #255

Quote:
Gotadimple: Thanks, I read the testimony.

The source of his "this time it's different" scenario is the explosion of credit that started decades ago, causing a "super bubble" that by turns engulfed and inflamed all other facets of financial life.

I view this as a somewhat similar argument to the gold and bullets crowd's denouncement of our fall off the gold standard. But there's no going back now, either to gold or to life before credit. We will not be back to "ninja loans" any time in the next 30 years, but we will be back to life as we view as normal one day. Indeed, the Fed is now focused on pumping credit back into consumer hands by any means necessary.
What is a "ninja loan"?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
I fear it really is different this time

Dow just went under the closing low on Oct. 10
And bounced off of it like a rubber ball.
I for one hope it was a rubber ball, and not a dead cat!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #257
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
What is a "ninja loan"?
from wikipedia
A Ninja Loan is a type of subprime loan issued to borrowers with No Income, No Job, (and) no Assets. The phrase was coined by HCL Finance during the housing bubble of the 2000s but have gained wider notoriety due to the subprime mortgage crisis in July/August 2007 as a prime example of poor lending practices. The term grew in usage during the 2008 financial crisis as the sub prime mortgage crisis was blamed on such loans. It works on two levels - as an acronym; and allusion to the fact that ninja loans are often defaulted on, with the borrower disappearing like a ninja. as a name for one of their finance product.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Culture, just because everyone is selling a stock and no one is buying, hence the price of the stock goes down, it does not mean that the company is going bankrupt.
If everyone is selling a stock, and no one is buying, who is everyone selling their stock to?

ha
Old 11-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #259
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If everyone is selling a stock, and no one is buying, who is everyone selling their stock to?

ha
People on the losing end of short deals?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
market is up

good chance this was finally the bottom, and i'm dumping one of my idiot newsletters this week
Finally I see an action that will probably result in profit!
Closed Thread